What's on your iPod?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Fraggle Rocker, Oct 21, 2009.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I went to cotillion to learn dancing. I learned many different types of dances from fox trot to waltz to twisting with Chubby Checker. It is very sad that nowadays children and adults have few if any places to dance at. As I pointed out the music today isn't conducive to dancing and I can't understand why dancing music and dancing isn't around much. American Bandstand was the show that introduced everyone to many different styles of music and dances which isn't around today anywhere. It was a great way to meet others and enjoy the music of the day and I miss it as well as seeing American Bandstand any longer.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Huh??? My friends' band plays every two or three weeks. They play nothing but rock'n'roll and the dance floor is always full. I don't know what you're talking about!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When I go out where I live there isn't much room to
    When I go out where I live there isn't much room to dance in so therefore no dancing happens. There are bands that play but some are jazz and others rock but again nothing really to dance to a well as little room. I'm sure there are dance halls, bars and night clubs but they don't allow children which is what I'm talking about.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. zgmc Registered Senior Member

Sylvester likes this.
  8. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Zooey Deschanel and her guitar noir guy might offer this piece of advice, Cosmic.

She & Him "Don't look back"

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I understand that change does happen but I remember when a new style of dance came along we were taught it in school or cotillion class. So I've spoken to a few high schoolers and none ever had a dancing class where they went to school either in Jr. high of Sr. high which is why I said what I did. That , to me, is why few places offer dancing that I ever heard of for kids and young adults. So I'm not really looking back to bring back the dances I did, I'm instead trying to understand why children and young adults don't have dancing available to them any longer. Whatever the style of dance is available today could be taught to those in schools or privately in cotillion but alas none of that is going on any longer that I'm aware of.

When I was taught the fox trot and waltz I was very happy for I never even heard of them until I was introduced to them in school and cotillion. They were dances from long ago yet we were taught them so those in charge of schools wanted us to know what they could do as well as what was new in the rock and roll era I grew up in. We danced together cheek to cheek as it were in many dances but today few dances I've seen do that any longer, sad.

10. zgmc Registered Senior Member

The dances nowadays aren't as family friendly. teaching kids how to twerk at school might not go over so well.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Found this dancing that is still around, it could be taught to children and young adults.

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

A little more Boogie Woogie

13. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Wow, Cosmic, it's been a real long time since the foxtrot was on everybody's To Do list.

Here's some new advice about letting bygones be bygones, from the old and young. With a twisty jitterbuggy kind of beat.

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss- Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On)

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I only used that as an example of what we did when we were kids but wouldn't think it necessary to teach that today. Other dances could be taught like line dancing as an example and of course many other styles depending on where the kids are in school at. I'm saying this as only a suggestion but not to try and push this idea.

I was waxing about the past and how things were more so than wanting to bring back the past but try to use todays music to dance to for children not adults unless they want to.

15. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Well you weren't gone long.

17. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

Well, it's finally raining here in California and I'm bored. Did you miss me?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Hey that's a great pick from Hozier. New artists are certainly finding a new and interesting voice. Lyrical singing is practically having a Renaissance, methinks.

The Lone Bellow - "Then Came the Morning" (Live at WFUV)

19. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

Ya, I really like him. He's not an atheist but...

“I still wouldn't define myself as an atheist - it’s too absolute. But I don’t have any faith. I think faith is an absurd thing but I’m OK with that. There are no answers because the universe never asked a question in the first place.”

Hozier's Passionate Challenge to the Catholic Church—and to Bigots Everywhere

I like your taste in music, as well. I've downloaded quite a few of the ones you've posted.

Thanks for sharing, Aqueous!

20. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

I think deep down inside most folks are kindred spirits . . . when it comes to music, anyway. A lot of common ground is there. It may be that the style (or veneer of style) sometimes overshadows that, but that the audiences sort of see through it also, regardless of which culture they come from. It seems to me that any bands that find their way into playlists on sites which are, say, a little better known to audiences as "cultured" in the eclectic, the acclaimed, the insightful or introspective, etc . . . then those groups are probably worth listening to. Before Pandora, I used to rely on PBS for a particular mix of trance music, which they played in one of their feature programs. So I have ended up picking a lot of tunes from their playlists, and it's a great diversion. The ones that stick in my mind, I try to remember to post here. It may be that these have a slightly better chance of reaching a wider audience, at least the folks who appreciate something insightful, or just cool, or at least seem kind of familiar. For example, this piece at times sounds like Sting, but the interludes are from a minimalist electronic music genre. So several kinds of audiences may end up liking it.

It starts out pianissimo, but it's not necessarily just bad leveling by the poster. It does crescendo in the middle somewhere and then the sound level is in the medium range of loudness. So it may take a dead quiet place to appreciate the full dynamic range.

And by the way, that could be by design. Suppose the artist wants you to contemplate the lyrics in a place that's dead silent, as part of the experience.

21. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Glass Animals - Gooey

22. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Phosphorescent - Song For Zula

23. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Mary Black (1992) - Columbus