what's McDonald's to you?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by scifes, Jul 26, 2010.

1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

It's slave wages for meager work and useless to humanity over-all no matter how many they claim to help, better they died instead

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Slaves don't get paid, and don't have the right to quit.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Describe it?

I'm going to go with total shite.

What is of concern though is that, despite how many people here, and elsewhere, tend to disparage it, one cannot argue with the popularity. So who then, are these people that actually consider it edible food??

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

if 90% of the population eat healthy food 90% of the time. and 90% of the rest 10% of when they don't want to eat healthy food(9%), ends up in mcdonald's, that's enough for the masses you see there.

i care for the meals i eat generally, and eat at fast food chains veeeary rarely, but whenever i think "screw my health, i want something artificial, greasy and mutated!", my choice is mcdonalds. not only is it close whenever that thought crosses your mind, but you'll always have enough money to buy something off their menu (unless you have less than 99cents, in which case you're better off with a gum ball).

not that they don't have their regular customers. but their unrivaled prices and demographic domination is what makes them reach the biggest slice of the community.

8. superstring01 Moderator

I sorta mentioned them. Qdoba is a Jack-in-the-Box division. They are good. WAY better than Chipotle or Moe's.

Which is followed by. . .

No. It isn't. In fact, the only thing "healthier" about Panera is that it's usually fresh. That's it. It is significantly fattier, carbier (is that a word?), saltier, and higher in calorier than almost any fast food chain. In fact--taken on the whole--you'd be just as well eating at McDonald's. Proof positive that "fesh" and "organic" really doesn't translate into good for you.

Though, if you asked me, the obsession with calories and fat is idiotic. People have eaten calories and fat for ages. It's the refined carbs and endless supply of sugar that we now eat that is killing us. But sure: chase after low fat you fat fucking morons (not you. . . but those fat people who think that cutting down on fat and increasing fruits and sugar substitutes will buy them good health).

Riiiiight. It's about the same "wages" as any large chain-like company starts their employees at. Even better: it's easy work. I know. I worked there. I also worked at KFC, on a farm (picking strawberries and then bailing hay), as a dish washer at Applebees, bagging groceries at IGA and waiting tables at a mom-and-pop. Guess what, besides the farm (which paid me per unit and the mom-and-pop which paid me in tips), I made EXACTLY the same wage, but at KFC, IGA and Applebee's, I had to do INSANE amounts of work and it really did amount to slaveish labor (which, itself is an exaggeration because Americans are spoiled). McDonald's gave me the easiest work of all, and paid me ten cents over minimum wage (which, really was the going wage in my area).

Also, one doesn't "pursue" a career at McDonald's for the high wages--at first. Few places work like that. A company doesn't and isn't morally obligated to pay its entry level employees high wages. Entry level wages (at the "minimum wage" amount) is there to keep the business competitive and give people an incentive to move up. Don't want to move up? Well, that's your fault and you should expect to be paid shit for the rest of your life.

Part of our modern "spoiled-ness" is that we think it's our right to have a job and a high paying job wherever we go. Well, it isn't. You have to work for it (either by moving up or--better yet--by getting a good education and some reasonable experience). There are TON'S of high paying jobs at McDonald's. Just don't think that you will get one at the entry-level.

~String

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  9. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I must admit I have a hard time telling you exactly what McDonalds means to me.

You can't blame them for the invention of fast food- White Castle holds that honor, but you can blame them for taking it to the next level- to where there is a McDonalds in every town in this country.

And to ALL fast food, I say this: whatever happened to good, old fashioned food? You know- like the (fast food place) Boston Market, with down home food.

Why has food become so simple? I always thought the point of eating out was to experience someone's culinary arts... when did it all boil down to a 99 cent menu?

Since when did we become a nation of people eating shit?

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I love McDonalds. Love Big Macs, their fries, their apple pies, etc. I'm not a food snob

11. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Big Xtra Hamburger with cheese 810 calories
    French fries super size 610 calories
    Coca Cola Classic drink 410 calories

Baked apple pie dessert 260 calories

That's your lot for the day. Go back to bed.

12. Doreen Valued Senior Member

They are, literally (sort of), junkies.
    From bbc news.....

13. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Brain scans show the pleasure centres of the brain lighting up when the fat content goes over a certain amount.

14. Amen to that. I wish their chain went out of business. if it did the world wuld be that much closer to being healthier. The only thing I like about them is their Mcflories (their ice cream) but even that I can live without.

15. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

To me... McDonalds is jus anuther fas-food place i have successfuly avoided for over 15 years.!!!

16. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

McD is god's present to humankind. There is nothing better then an ice cold Mcfluffy or whatever they call it.

Seriously, McD has improved the most among fastfood chains and it is more like a cafeteria, then a burger joint.... The design inside looks nice and inviting, there are plenty of healthy food, and they are still cheap.

What is there NOT to like???

17. atheist Registered Member

a gathering place for fat ppl to eat

18. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

2 of the closest McDs are full of old people in the morning (mostly skinny) having just a cup of coffe. McD has officially replaced Starbucks.

19. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

"Avoidable".

To be honest this is based upon me being a vegetarian, in fact some would think me OCD from how I reason. I find that with pretty much all restaurants and fastfood outlets there is never enough training done in regards to cross contamination. I mean as an example lets take Subway, they are given little plastic gloves to wear on their hands and they will change those gloves if you ask when switching from handling meat to vegetables. It's a major gripe however that I have to act like their manager to ask/tell them to change their gloves if I want food from them, it should be standard practice not to cross-contaminate, it actually makes me feel like a bad guy by having to tell them how to do their job. For this reason it's the main reason why I "avoid" fast food restaurants.

(Obviously some of you will not get the reasons of why cross contamination is so bad, one basic way of explaining it is that to a vegetarian, meat can appear as appetizeable as dog shit, would you have a cheese sandwich cut by a knife that had just been used to cut dog shit in half? There is also the factor that meat eaters are use to the bacteria that meat generates in the intestines, in long term vegetarians cross contamination can introduce their bodies to bacteria cultures their systems are not use to causing them to become ill or irritated... nothing worse than a case of botulism for a vegetarian.)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  20. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

The question was about McD, not about safe foodhandling at Subway. Get your OCD in order!

The truth is, you will never know just how safely your food was handled, no matter where you eat, including expensive restaurants. There is a truth to : "never visit the kitchen in your favorite restaurant". All it takes is one lazy empoyee and you are screwed.

So why not just enjoy the cholesterin intake and stop worrying? At least in fast food restaurant you can actually see the foodhandlers...

21. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Hey you asked for a description, I just thought you'd probably want to know why I chose "Avoidable" which is why it was explained. If you want to eat burgers cut with dog shit, by all means thats your prerogative.

22. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

So getting a bit offtopic, how can you make sure that YOUR restaurant isn't doing the same?

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

This guy only eats McDonalds food and look at him today!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!