whats in a name?

Discussion in 'History' started by Asguard, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

I was browsing the lattest holocost deniers thread and i was thinking

if oblitorating a "genetic line" is genocide what was the simulanious obliteration of the gays, catholics, and the disabled called

None of them are "races" so what do we call it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Roman?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

huh? what kind of answer is that??????

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

A provocative one, I expect.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Hitler thought that homosexuality is an inherited trait--as some people still do today. Even though some people are disabled by accident, he assumed (or at least preached) that from a statistical perspective disabilities tend to be the result of genetic "weakness." So as far as gays and the disabled are concerned, based on what he believed (or claimed to) he was practicing genocide: culling of a gene pool.

Catholicism is not inherited genetically, but it is still passed down from parents to children, so it is "inherited." It is a community greatly defined by bloodlines, which could therefore be construed as a "race" even if the mechanism of inheritance is not biological.

So to call these killings genocide is only a little imprecise.

If the Serbs tried to kill off the Croats (or vice versa), or the Indians the Pakistanis (or vice versa), despite the fact that it would be hard to tell the bodies apart by their DNA, I think the world would call it genocide.

Did Hitler try to kill the Catholics in his own country? I thought one of the reasons the Pope didn't take him on was that the Nazis and Fascists left their Catholics alone. He went after the Bohemians and the Poles because he thought Slavs were inferior, not because they were Catholic.

9. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

When did this happen?

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Same time as the jewish holochost

FR it MAY have been other christans but i am pritty sure it was catholics who were targeted. As for why the pope didnt do anything, isnt that ovious?
    Hittlers biggest alie was mosoline and guess who lives in the smallest country on earth right on the doorstep of italy. What would have happened if the pope had come out openly against the Italians or the germans? The vatican would have been oblitorated in a day probably and there would have been no escape for the priests, nuns and brothers who lived there. Wether the pope was fearful for his own life or acting alturistically for the others who live in the vatican is rather irrelivent there would have been no way to save them

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I can find nothing on the internet to support this statement. Also, I was born during WWII and my mother's family was Bohemian (or "Czech" as we call them now because it's easier to spell) and I met my share of refugees as well as people who lost loved ones in the Holocaust. No one ever accused the Nazis of going after Catholics. They killed about 3,000,000 Polish Catholics, but as I said earlier that was because they thought the Slavs were inferior, not because they were Catholic.

Hitler tried to undermine the authority of the Catholic Church for the same reason the Chinese communists did: it was way too big and a challenge to their authority. But he never targeted members of the Church and in fact the Nazi leadership had its share of Catholic Germans.
    No one's suggesting that the Church should have taken a principled stand against Nazism and Fascism. But it could have come out against the Holocaust. The Italian people did not have nearly as much enmity toward the Jews as the Germans did. They would have been quite happy to see them put in true prison camps--like we did with our Japanese-Americans--and treated with the minimal decency and respect any prisoners deserve. Much like what Hitler allowed the Orthodox Bulgarians to get away with.

Hitler could not have attacked Vatican City or killed the Pope, you can take my word on that. He was able to get away with killing Jews in "the fog of war" because until the war ended and the death camps were liberated, most people in the unoccupied Allied countries--even our Jews--honestly didn't know it was happening. In any case, Jews were not exactly popular in our countries; even in the USA and the UK, where they fared the best, I really hate to speculate on how the average Gentile citizen would have reacted to news of Hitler's attempt to exterminate them--considering that our own unreconstructed Confederates were still lynching African-Americans. It probably would have been considered just one more of Hitler's evils.

The Czech side of my family was horrified by his slaughter of Czechs, but our neighbors just regarded them as one more casualty of the war and one more reason why the Allies had to win. The Jewish side of my family would have been equally horrified if they'd known about the Holocaust... and our neighbors would surely have felt exactly the same way as they did about the Czechs. Too bad folks, let's just whip his ass and put a stop to all of it.

But if he had begun to kill Catholics? The Pope himself? Destroy Vatican City! There were fifty times more Catholics in America or England than there were Jews. The Pope was their spiritual leader. Every American family had Catholic friends and many even Catholic in-laws.

The Catholics in Germany and Austria would have revolted if he'd done that. Not tomention the entire population of Italy! The 99.9% Catholic populations in rather large neutral countries like Mexico, Brazil and Argentina--not to mention the rest of Latin America as well as Spain and Portugal--would have forced their governments to join the Allies. Hell, even the Swiss would have had a hard time staying out of it!

The Pope did NOT pussyfoot around the persecution of Jews because he was afraid of an attack on the Vatican. That leaves all of us wondering whether the reason was that he really just didn't give a damn about the Jews. Remember, before the Holocaust the Christian community was not nearly as sympathetic to the Jews as they are today. There was discrimination against them even in some countries where they were treated "very well" by historical standards, like England and the USA. Nobody was killing them but there were neighborhoods where they weren't allowed to live.

Antisemitism was alive and well throughout Christendom. It just happened to be much worse in Germany and Austria, but it was pretty bad in Poland and many other European countries. There's no reason to think Pope Pius XII was not as antisemitic as his predecessors. Even Benedict XVI has made some remarks that angered today's Jews.

It is sadly possible that the reason the Pope did not take a stand against the Holocaust is that he just didn't want to.

12. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

Gays=saphocide
    Catholics=cathocide
    disabled=disabicide

Please don't take my answer here seriously, I obviously made these words up. I suppose if they killed me it would be Jozen-Boacide!

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No, it would be mercy.. lol

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

Are you referring to Jozen-Boacide, or the question originally posted?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Jozen-Boacide..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

Then you are certainly correct! It would be mercy so sweet!

Red Alert! Attention all authorities! Beware of Jozen-Bo, he must be stopped at all costs! Do not wait any longer!

Err...what are those keywords that flag the authorities?
    Bimbo bombs...al quida...osama bin laden...terrorist....nuclear bombs...red cheese...blue eagle....????....

C
    O
    N
    S
    O
    R
    T

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Fraggle Rocker

Im not so sure they would have revolted just out of interest. Rember the atack on poland didnt cause the germans to revolt and i doubt an atack on the vatican would have either. Especially if it had come from the italians and been frased as "increasing security" or some such and done by ground troops rather than an all out bombing raid. Then there is assaination of course. There are lots of ways to deal with people you find "inconveniant" during a war after all

As for killing catholics as i said i wasnt sure about it. The main place i herd about it was from the quote of a concentration camp survivor which i THINK goes like this

"they came for the jews and i did nothing
    They came for the disabled and i did nothing
    They came for the catholics and i did nothing
    They came for the gays and i did nothing
    when they came for me there was no one left"

I dont know who origionally said it or even if its an authentic quote but it is quite famous

18. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
    I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;
    I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came...

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

thanks redarmy11

this is the version i have herd most often

New England Holocaust Memorial
    The version inscribed at the New England Holocaust Memorial in Boston, Massachusetts reads:

They came first for the Communists,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
    Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
    Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
    Then they came for the Catholics,
    and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
    Then they came for me,
    and by that time no one was left to speak up.

Although generally with the line about the mentally ill or disabled put in it but it DEFINITLY says catholics

20. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Humph. Someone seems to have stolen a page from the East Korean Guide to Good Government.

I shall be telephoning the lawyers anon.

Good day, Sir.

Geoff