What's going on in Egypt?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MacGyver1968, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

weird how you don't mention the killers who are "christian" honor or whatever, or the american assasins, murders, i can't find the right word, who killed dozens of people, and etc...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

put this in your mind: humans, wether that person is "muslim" (?) or "christian" (?) or american or arab or chinese, all are humans

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

A crime of passion is essentially a temporary insanity defense. In strictly a legal sense a crime of passion is catching your partner in the act and can apply to a male killing another male he catches with his wife and the reverse can also be true or even killing both parties involved. Rarely ever works as a defense but it is not extended to family members. The main thing is no premeditation but since these are capital crimes they go on trial and juries really never acknowledge this as a defense.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

ok everyone, all back to topic

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I think that is mainly accurate, but surely "temporary insanity" is not a valid defense if the crime takes place after some days (perhaps never a valid defense?) I know nothing about your last sentence so cannot comment on it.

I had not read well your quotes in post 450 which include:
    "In India, for example, more than 5,000 brides die annually because their dowries are considered insufficient, according to the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)."

My statement that "1000s of brides die annually in India of "accidental cooking fires" after the diary has been collected was based on years old readings which said: Some men have married several times and collected several diaries with dead wives soon thereafter. IMHO, this is much worse than a crime of passion - it is a business; exploiting in the worst possible way, some typically less attractive women who are desperate to marry. I hope now this multiple collection of diaries no longer is exists.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Here:

Apparently changing the law changed the personality of French men. Or did it? Was there a change in the statistics for domestic violence after the 70s?

I couldn't find stats for the 1970s but:

That seems pretty high to me. So are they crimes of passion? domestic violence? honour killings?

And if domestic violence is considered acceptable, are the statistics even valid, because its unlikely they would show up in police reports:

What would statistics show if all cases were registered?

Its worse:

But they are not Muslims and mostly they kill themselves - or so we are told - so who cares?

oops

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  9. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

but before going back on topic, billyT, i didnt write all that so you don't answer

10. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I assume you are speaking of your longer post 459 that includes:

“… let me insure you, there, is, no muslims country today, that apply the sharia laws, even if it call it so, it's not, sharia laws is not like, you do, whatever are your conditions, you get that, no not like that as you see. …”

Which seems to be the heart of your defense of sharia law. That may all be true, but is somewhat theoretical compared to the actual practice.
    For example, in Saudi Arabia recently a woman was to be lashed (or stoned? –I forget) after being gang rapped under their practice of what sharia law required. That drew so much international reaction that some other court (still sharia as I recall) agreed to review the case. In the article I read, it noted she was lucky as there were dozens of others who did not come to the attention of the international press.

Any way this discussions started as you refused to answer my original question about what is practiced in Rural Egypt. Again is honor killing mostly absent for rural Egypt, as I assumed it was from more urban Egypt? It is my understanding that when Saddam ruled Iraq, it had been eradicated, but I don’t know if it still is.

11. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Hardly, I would think. It is like the fact that suicides are much more common in Sweden than in the US where even today few death certificates are honest about that "shame." Likewise they were officially nearly non-existent in the US in 1900.

This "stability" of cultural attitudes, with or without religious support, is why all this is "on thread" when it comes to what "democracy" there will be for women in Egypt. I suspect it will be decades before more men than women are punished for rape in most countries with an Arabic culture especially if people like Shadow1 don't speak out against what IS PRACTICED, and hide behind "it is not part of Sharia law", at least according to some religious leaders. Outsiders, like me, can have little direct effect. You must be part of a culture to change it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2011
  12. keith1 Guest

Long gone is that year
    so we have no fear.
    The internet's a mirror...
    a million bodies don't hide well here.
    Nothing will disappear.
    Except a despot's rear.

13. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

the theoretical one, is the correct one, and that's what i said, there's no sharia laws today.
    anyway, you are complaining about my post, while it was you who mentioned about the sharia, i knew it that i shouldnt write or answer you, see, i knew your answer, ignoring....

it don't exist, "honor killing" culture? huh? :bugeye: :shrug:
    (and if you are going to assosiate it to islam or christanity or whatever, don't)

14. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

oh, people like me eeh?
    hmm, do you know islam teachings better than i do?

and yes i don't speak against what is not practiced in my country... and don't assosiate like, crimes are only in arab countries or something, and women in egypte ARE free, it's not saudi arabia...

hmm, people like me, and how are the people who are like me?

and it seems you don't understand, i was talking about the teachings of islam, and the real and right sharia laws, and, also, being against those who rape women and etc etc etc... if you read again what i wrote, it seems you didnt..... you have just wasted my time, it took me 30min disuccsing with you, the total posts that were to you ...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  15. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

(the person who is silent toward obsession and etc..., is a silent devel)

16. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

well, better be optimistic and see what will time tell us

17. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

18. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

OK. What is the proportion of women murdered in Western society for changing religion, or for consorting with men not of their religion, who are not Muslim? If you want to mention it, do so. Let's have your numbers.

Indeed. Also women. Put that in your mind.

19. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The National Committee sez ....

A resolution of the National Committee of the Communist Party USA:

The Communist Party USA congratulates the people of Egypt for their great people's victory. After 18 days of popular protest led by the youth and joined by workers strikes and all sectors of society, you successfully toppled U.S.-backed dictator Hosni Mubarak.

We support you in your ongoing and just demands for a new democratic Egypt. The power of the masses in the streets will certainly ensure the transition to democratic civilian rule continues according to the demands of the people.

We are dedicated to helping fight for a new U.S. foreign policy and relationship with Egypt based on mutual respect, sovereignty, and peaceful development.

Short, to the point, and, as always, ambitious. There's not much to add to the statement, but one does wonder just what effect they expect to have on American foreign policy. It's not like anyone in Washington actually listens to them.

Maybe Bernie Sanders, but only maybe.

Notes:

National Committee. "Egypt: A People's Victory". Communist Party USA. February 13, 2011. CPUSA.org. February 13, 2011. http://cpusa.org/egypt-a-people-s-victory/

20. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Very little good news has come out in World history in recent years.
    This revolution is a time for celebration. We should accept that, and not look for problems until they come..
    The Egyptians and the Tunisians have shown us that it it is possible to have a Revolution, and still be peaceful and patriotic. To topple a government, and still remain law abiding.

It will not only be governments of Muslim countries that are getting nervous right now. There is injustice and institutionalised greed everywhere.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How about the proportion of Muslims killed by western society for being Muslims? You might have noted that the Egyptian army used American weapons to kill the 300 or so people. So not only does western society actively volunteer to kill Muslims in their own countries, they also supply arms to the dictators who do so on their behalf.

Why do you suppose that is?

Human and persons, strangely enough, include women.

22. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

o, so, islam say kill who convert from islam?

i will not waste my time discussing with you, sorry

23. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Well the military took over Egypt and have not exactly been the met the demands of protesters, the emergency laws are still in place, they have rejected a temporary civilian government.