What's going on in Egypt?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MacGyver1968, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I'm still watching it.

It has just shown a video sent in by a viewer showing an Israeli agent provocateur being arrested.
    Their hatred for America and Israel gets in the way of any journalistic objectivity.

It is no more objective than Fox.
    That's it. I think I'll try the BBC.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Mubarak apparently losing the military

The BBC's Jon Leyne reported a few hours ago that, while the Egyptian army is still somewhat divided, its unofficial official position is apparently that Mubarak has lost the military. One retired general told Leyne that his impression is that senior military leaders are losing patience, and "Mubarak could be gone very soon, possibly tomorrow".

Notes:

British Broadcasting Corporation. "Egypt unrest: PM apologises for Tahrir Square violence". BBC News. February 3, 2011. BBC.co.uk. February 3, 2011. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12351831

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

ABOUT FUCKING TIME! Every day longer that dickhole stays in power he is destroying the country he claims to love and built.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Wait and see, I guess

We'll see how that works out. Such predictions are notoriously variable about their accuracy.

8. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

I raise you a Jordan.

9. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Ah yes, a point that seems to be missed by many.

So lets look at Iran since the revolution, SOSDD, there is still a secret police arresting the opposition to the government, torturing confessions, murdering protester, add to that we now have the stoning of Women, the hanging of Homosexuals, suppression of any political opposition, a economy that is in the tank, spending billions on military while people starve in the streets............

Yes, Carter and the Liberals stood on their principles and what did it get the people of Iran? What did it get the United States?

A even more vicious dictatorial anti western Dictatorial Theocracy, that is involved in support of terrorism around the world, and is on a path to create a war in the Middle East to destroy Israel.

So we let Egypt and Mubarac fall to be replace by a Iranian style Dictatorial Theocracy, in the same bent as Iran, under the influence of the Iranian leadership?

Make sense to me:crazy: NOT

10. Pinwheel Banned Banned

What do you suggest, NOT letting Mubarak fail? Actively supporting him against the protesters? :crazy:

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Prerequisite Presuppositions?

While it's true that the world wonders what will come next, note the inherent bigotry of Mr. Roam's argument. Apparently, Egyptians can't do any better, since Mubarak must necessarily be replaced by an "Iranian style Dictatorial Theocracy".

It's a curious paradox. The Egyptian protester, then, is saying, "We want freedom! Install a new dictator! We want freedom! Install a new dictator!"

The next dictator won't get thirty years.

David Frum explains:

How do you say "It's the economy, stupid!" in Mandarin? Let's compare Egypt and China: When Hosni Mubarak assumed power in 1981, Egypt's per capita GDP was 250 percent greater than China's. Today, China's is 50 percent greater than Egypt's. Since 1981, the Egyptian economy has grown, and grown faster than its population. That's impressive, because Egypt's population has doubled since 1981, from 40 million to 80 million.

But Egypt's economy has grown nowhere fast enough to satisfy the aspirations of its people. Half the country subsists on less than $2 a day. Upward mobility is blocked. Egypt has the largest population of unemployed college graduates in the Middle East.

China's rapid economic growth and slow population growth has raised incomes so fast that ordinary Chinese people see meaningful improvement in their lives: Better food, better housing, better clothing. Yes, many Chinese obviously remain very poor, but enough Chinese have benefited rapidly enough that they understandably prefer to wait for further betterment rather than do anything that might upset an improving status quo. China's turn toward dynamic capitalism has bestowed legitimacy on its otherwise authoritarian government. Egypt's sluggish state-controlled economy has fomented the discontent now shaking the state's controllers.

It's not the best argument, since it is derived from a risky proposition about opinion polls in China. And it's amusing in its spoken form because I rarely hear people elide the word "nineteen" (e.g., "nin'een eighty-one"). But it also includes key points about economic discontent.

We see a similar phenomenon in the United States, albeit on a drastically lesser scale. People don't want to rock the boat. And then the economy sours, and they start talking about blood and revolution. Marx learned the same lesson in 1848, when the middle class bolted to the bourgeoisie.

Meanwhile, if the Egyptian revolution goes south after Mubarak's departure, we don't have to be surprised. Nor do we have to say it's because they're Egyptian and only capable of an Iranian Revolution redux.

Matt Frei reminds:

Have you noticed how Egypt's revolution is NOT named after a flower or a tree or a colour? Perhaps that's just as well because such labels don't always bode well. Remember how the euphoria of the Orange Revolution (Ukraine), the Rose Revolution (Georgia), the Cedar Revolution (Lebanon) or indeed the Green Revolution (Iran) ended? In the latter case the baby was strangled at birth. In the other cases the revolutionary ecstasy gave way to the frustration of elected government, deprived of the institutions and laws necessary to make democracies work.

When President Hosni Mubarak leaves, the same fate may await Egypt, with potentially more serious consequences for the region and beyond ....

And those are just the recent ones. Revolutions aren't all they're cracked up to be, and should thus be undertaken cautiously.

Notes:

Frum, David. "The economics of political unrest". Marketplace. February 2, 2011. Marketplace.PublicRadio.org. February 3, 2011. http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/02/02/pm-frum-the-economics-of-political-unrest/

Frei, Matt. "Has the Middle East caught the freedom bug?" American Frei. February 1, 2011. BBC.co.uk. February 3, 2011. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/mattfrei/2011/02/has_the_middle_east_caught_the.html

12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Oh, the good ol' Carter bashing. Why is it so difficult to see that not every country will lovingly embrace the American empire and its interest what usually goes against the national interest? That is not certain American president's fault, it is just common sense....

13. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

continuing the revolution in other countries, one by one, well, not all all the arab countries i guess, for example, qatar, or u.a.e. most propably, to my opinion, they're not going to have any, they are just happy with what they got

14. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

IF the people want a liberal country, so be it.
    IF the people want a country like iran, so be it.

That's democracy (or atleast that they will have it), but u.s.a., don't know what democracy means..

oh, and when you look at the events, don't look with one eye, open both of your eyes, everything is connected, israel, the other arab countries, politics, even the western politics in general toward arab countries, etc... i'm not expcting there will be problems with israel between arabs or israel, in those coming few years if egypte succed to kick mubarak out and continue it's way to democracy, but, on the long term, and/or the not very far future, it will be their a rise of arab forces, and even israeli-arab tention, since the big hate of arabs to israel (yes tunisians too), if egypte make a success, and other arab countries follow us, israel will be screwed in the future, at least not the near one.

oh, and about tunisia, pleas wait 2-5 years, and we'll see how it will be, well, i'm being optimistic, but, am not looking with a single eye.

15. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

That's possibly cynical, but not demonstrably bigoted.

Don't be stupid.

16. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

unique in the duration, and maybe the tolerance and orgenization between the people, anyway, idk about if egypte revolution will give the same outcome, or anyrevolution to all give the same result.
    well, as i said, time will tell all, and what time is telling now, tunisia is not bad now, all the life is back to normal, and started with huge investements from foreigners, and also, tunisian buisnessman who is in a foreign country, came to invest, building an industrual small city, in my city

oh really?

17. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Glad to hear Tunisia is back to normal: the MSM being what it is here, I haven't heard much about them. But Miley Cyrus just did something rude. It's newsworthy!

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well eventually and hopefully, one day the west will become an enlightened society and learn the meaning of democracy

Meanwhile, congratulations on the Jasmine Revolution, it is astonishing not only in being so quick but also mostly bloodless [with respect to those who became shaheed for their country]

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Well good for Tunisa, but if you notice from the thread title we aren't talking about Tunisa, what is happening in Egypt right now is not as shiny as Tunisa and the chances aren't good that it will end up a free democracy, sure time will tell, I'm just saying don't get your hopes up. And as for Tunisia don't think its over and you guys can live happily ever after, political corruption never dies, you must always keep a watch for it and fight it continuously, you still need to install a free and open government, with term limits and a multiple party political system, so you better not think it over and the hard work is behind you or you will be in another dictatorship in an instant.

Yes, yes really. Seriously don't think too much of your selves, your like the hot story of the week in the states, next week it will be about Sarah Palins left breast implant exploding or something. All amercians care about is if this will be a problem for them, at present they aren't sure nor do they think they can do anything about it, so they will get back to it latter, maybe after the superbowl, look Tiassa got it nailed.

20. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

i meant, toward the middle east and north africa countries

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Pinwheel Banned Banned

So whos now in power on Tunis? When are elections?

22. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

still about 5 monthes for the elections, anyway, life is back to normal, but, it's not over yet

23. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

yeah effcorse, it's not over yet, neither i'm saying i'm very happy with this current goverment, well, i am, but, i have my suspicous as everyone else, and, well, i don't have much arguments that are ennuf to say i'm against it, for now, and yeah i saw the title, and it is all related, any country in the arab world that will start to revolt, is related to the others, and about if another dictatorship comes, mostly not gonna happen, 5monthes, is not a little, and alot of events can happen, i mean the political one, maybe other protestations, because there are different protestations almost everyday, not the huge ones anyway, and it's normal for acountry that it's moving to democracy, anyway, 5monthes, and concidering the how fastthings happens here, it's not a short time.

haha