What would the world look like if the Hindenburg hadn't crashed?

Discussion in 'History' started by Mr. Hamtastic, Nov 3, 2010.

1. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

Oh, I see, you mean inertial mass. What you say is true but unimportant. Because a dirigible like the Hindenburg uses internal gas bags, and therefore encloses about as much air as lifting gas. So ruffly 50000 cu meters times a kilo per cubic meter equals 50000 kilo or 110000 lb. 130000 lb vs. 150000 lbs. Plus the weight of the airframe, etc. Not much difference really.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The volume given was for the lifting gas only - about 200k cubic meters, in the Hindenburg, I used half that to illustrate.
    The airframe has to be heavier to deal with helium. All the structural stuff has to be stronger and heavier. The power engine has to be bigger. etc.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

But I think you're missing the point. The inertial mass of the enclosed volume, which is the only real difference between H and He, is little different because in a rigid frame (dirigible) airship enough of the enclosed volume is air so that in the end it doesn't matter. The much greater density of air swamps out the result.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

8. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Ah, I see - I was simplifying, trying to avoid the question of distribution etc., simply reminding.

For consideration: The enclosed air in a dirigible is more central, the lifting gas a much greater percentage of the volume farther from the center of mass along all axes. The Hindenburg design is turn of the century, even as a dirigible; the enclosed air mass percentage is much smaller in modern blimps, more modern designs of dirigible, etc. And small percentages of weight that must be accelerated at the ends of long levers can be large contributions to cost - in airships, small percentage changes in streamlining as well. UPS, as the ad brags, spends a lot of money to wash very small amounts of grime off of their jets.

In point of circumstance, the US Navy had a lot of trouble handling the inertial mass of their helium balloons, even the straight blimps. True, probably the cost and availability of helium is a larger factor - but the inertial mass difference and the 8% lift gain is nothing to sneeze at.

Because they make basic engineering sense anywhere you can't easily lay track or float a boat - mountains, tundra, densely built up areas. The comparison would be with helicopters, airports.

As with external combustion engines, solar electrical power, passenger trains, etc, the critical insoluble problems are not engineering ones. The engineering has reached the point of elegance.

9. Cifo Day destroys the night, Registered Senior Member

So, it seems helium has some military purpose. Does anyone know the purpose?

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I think all the subsequent posts have answered this question pretty well. LTA craft development did not come to a screeching halt, the technology simply proved to not be very useful commercially. There are still a number of airships in operation, although (as far as I can tell from a quick glance at Wikipedia) all or almost all of them are blimps, not dirigibles. Even the Zeppelin company is back in business. With all the advances in the past seven decades, I doubt that the Hindenberg disaster is a major influence on today's aviation technology.
    A few airships (again, AFAIK blimps, not dirigibles) were actually in use, IIRC on both sides. They were very useful for reconaissance hovering because they were so quiet. But they weren't very stable over the oceans, where they really wanted to deploy them, because of the strong winds; most of them crashed ignominiously.
    Don't you think people will be saying something similar about gasoline a hundred years from now? Everybody came back from WWII complaining that our tanks were so much easier to blow up than the Germans', because theirs had diesel engines.

11. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Um myth. The majority of German tanks (Pzkpfw I - IV, Panther, Tiger) were petrol (gasoline) engined, like ours.
    The Russians more or less led the way on diesel engined AFVs.

12. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Reference Dywyddyr's post, "the reason the gasoline went up was that the rounds hitting the tanks introduced hot gases and flame into the gasoline", no, Gasoline is not pressure sensitive, point of fact to be useable for propulsion it must be vaporized, and then must be placed under pressure, typically around 10 to 1 to achieve the most efficient energy out put.

Hydrogen on the other hand can be set off just by the passage of a bullet through the envelope containing the gas.

One trick that we used for shows, is to place hydrogen into a plastic gallon milk jug, and then shooting it, the explosion is quite impressive.

13. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

Yes. Dirigibles. They were used as bombers in ww1. By the way, has anyone seen the movie "Flyboys". Great scenes of many types of ww1 aircraft and air combat, _including_ a German military (hydrogen filled) dirigible getting blown to kingdom come. Some wild dogfights with era fighters as well.

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

Yet the only deployments we see for airships are for pleasure flights. Seems nobody wants to exploit the areas you list utilising them.

Elegance,.... I'd hardly call it that. Taking two days to cross the Atlantic vs four hours in a Concorde is hardly elegance. The mass market would far rather something in between it seems, the cheapest, fastest route, and if not that, there's real luxury in a cruise. I don't see the market for airships beyond fringe use.

15. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Brute force launching is elegance - with meals served on little lap trays, recycled air, a tiny little window you can by craning your neck see a bit of wing from, and your little assigned seat?

Or was it the grace and style of waiting in line to grab your 50 lbs of allotted luggage off the carousel, and waiting in line for the back seat of a none too clean cab to sit in traffic in, as you continue for hours to your actual destination?

Talk to the people who fill passenger ships to the rails, and book train trips for the pleasure of the journey.

The Hindenburg carried a grand piano. Meals were served from kitchen to tables, with silverware. The view was spectacular. Modern designs are more stable, with better views (glass bottom gondolas, binoculars, relief maps, anyone?) and higher travel speeds, etc.

But I was talking about engineering state of development, anyway.
    The point was that the barriers are not engineering ones. They are not economic ones either, strictly. They make a lot of sense for a good many applications, but are beset by many more or less capricious afflictions and qwerty effects - among them the assumption of helium for lift, which dates from the Hindenburg.

16. Kernl Sandrs Registered Senior Member

WIN.:bravo:

17. Kernl Sandrs Registered Senior Member

18. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Supposedly....

...The diary of one of the Hindenberg's owners implicated thatt he final voyage was a planned disaster. Supposedly the vesseel was transporting an unknown number of german spies who were coing to america for espeionage and sabotage. This prompted the owner to refuse to crew the ship making the Luftwaffe do it. But he still prepared the vessel by filling it with helium and painting the entire dirgible in a paint that would double as solid rocket fuel.

Note this is second hand and supposition on the part of my source. But it would explain why the relatively safe Dirigible turned into a flaming wreck.