what would it be like to look throgh someone elses eyes???

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by relleumsirhc, Jul 20, 2002.

1. relleumsirhc Banned Banned

okay this may sound wierd and itll be a tad hard to explain but here goes....

if you are one person, what would it feel like to look throgh someone elses eyes and think what they think????

comments please

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Mushashi said something like it is good to know the ways of all men. Damn right. I've always tried to. That doesn't mean I like such ways of course...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

Well for starters, you'd find out what people really think of you. That's something I'm not sure I want to know.

Interesting question.

Cheers
    Teri

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sublime Trigger Brains for Beginners. Registered Senior Member

I've always found the definition of human perception interesting,

i.e. We all see a blue bird as my avatar, that bird is blue, why is it blue? because that is what we have been taught to lable it.

But what if the blue I see is different to the blue you see?

What if my thoughts are created in such a dazzlingly different way to yours that you'd be rendered useless experiencing them. How did we think before we learned our language?

8. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

How did we think before we learned our language?

Now that's a really interesting question. Do you have any ideas about that, Sublime Trigger? I'm sitting here thinking my thoughts in English and am completely at a loss as to how thoughts would be formed without any language. What would it be like being raised blind without language. This really is food for thought.

Cheers
    Teri

9. Sublime Trigger Brains for Beginners. Registered Senior Member

It only occured to me when my uncle moved from Britain to Switzerland after he'd finished school. After about 6 years abroad he swore he thought 'In French.' I realised that I think in words, and so presumably does everybody else.

I wondered that, as he had changed the language that he formed his thoughts in, maybe it would possible to learn to think without conciously narrating to youself... I sat down and tried and found it impossible. I honestly can't imagine what it was like to think before we devloped language- Images maybe? to form a thought with a stream of mental images is something understood to be present in people who can remember in order 50 packs of shuffled cards.

No wonder children learn so much faster. Hell, maybe we're resticting ourselves.

10. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

That's a bird?

11. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

You never know what looking through someone elses eyes will bring you...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

Sublime,
    If you do some research on it drop me a line, I'd be interested too.

Thor.... I like the bird.

13. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Initially, I was going to say that it would just be 'different'. But then, you said: "...and think what they think????", which makes it a completely different type of question. Thinking what they are thinking, you wouldn't know the difference, you would, for all intents and purposes, be them.