What would happen when the next nuclear weapon is used in hostility?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Malaclypse, Apr 16, 2001.

?

The next use if a nuclear weapon will result in :

Poll closed Apr 23, 2001.
  1. All out conventional warfare.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. All out nuclear warfare.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Depends on who uses the nuclear weapon.

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. Diplomacy will rule.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Total CHAOS.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Not sure.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Why do people keep saying "destroy the world" when they really mean "destroy humanity" ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Because, as far as we're concerned, it's the same thing.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Well, it's not.

hu·man·i·ty
    –noun, plural -ties.
    1. all human beings collectively; the human race; humankind.

world
    –noun
    1. the earth or globe, considered as a planet.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Enmos how much do you think will actually be left of the earth and more specifically the enviroment if the whole world ends up being highly radioactive?

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Most life will perish, but the world itself will be intact.

9. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

The Cock Roaches will rule the world.

10. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

Radioactive electronics.

China makes cheap electronics and then ships them here. High frequency computer monitors, cell phones etc that I believe cause cancer and destruction of organic tissues, through the emission of possibly small constant amounts of X-rays. Either its a war or China is extremely weak on testing products for safety... either way, the Chinese definitely didn't deserve the Bronze Medal on the gymnastics balance bar last night. haha

11. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

:bugeye:

Have you ever been to China?

12. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

...from one nuclear weapon?

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

no E3R, from a full nuclear war

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Asguard, even if a million nuclear bombs are detonated in a nuclear war, the Earth itself will still be intact.

15. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

As a chunk of lifeless rock.
    but a rock nonetheless, is that what you're saying ?, because I highly doubt anything surviving a nuclear holocaust.

16. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

What are you basing this on? The earth has been through a lot worse than what we could subject it to and it is far from lifeless. Plenty of stuff would survive. Human society in the affected areas would change, but our species would do fine.

17. Cazzo Registered Senior Member

I agree that many life forms would survive a full nuclear war, even some humans. Radioactivity would be a problem in blast zones, but not everywhere will be a blast zone. And radioactive clouds will dissapate over time; and may cause an increased number of birth defects and cancer, but I don't think it'd be "the end of it all". It'd definitely set humanity back a few hundred years though; depending on how much technology and technologists are destroyed/killed. Just my opinion.

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

We call that thread necromancy.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Less likely if we make it through to January when the next president takes over. Neither candidate is worth a bucket of warm piss but they each have at least 30 IQ points more than Bush. They're not likely to do the incomprehensibly stupid and dangerous things he's become famous for.

I think that all the nuclear powers understand the concept of Mutually Assured Destruction and would be reluctant to fire one of their weapons. They'd have to be backed into a corner so desperate as to make it seem worth the incalculably high risk.

If Pakistan falls into the hands of Muslimentalists who believe that life on earth is just a test for getting into heaven, and somebody pisses them off, they might fire a couple. I think that's probably where our greatest risk lies, depending on who's the target.

If the Arabs put up a better fight in the next inevitable Arab-Israeli war and Israel feels that its very existence is at stake, it might resort to nukes. But since none of its enemies have them it wouldn't easily escalate.

If North Korea really has one, Kim is crazy enough to use it. But he can't possibly have more than one or two so nobody's going to have to start a full-out nuclear Armageddon to take care of him.

I can't imagine China, Russia, USA (post-Bush), France, India or the UK doing it, unless they fall under the spell of a retard like Bush. They've got too much to lose.

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

FR rember it was bush who wanted to invent TACTICAL nukes to use as bunker busters. I cant belive no one seems to rember that

20. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

This is inaccurate. The B61-11 is the only earth penetrating nuclear bomb in the US arsenal. It was developed in the early 1990s and has been in service since 1997, three years before Bush took office.

21. DubStyle I may be wrong, but I doubt it Registered Senior Member

I dont think thats true. The Soviet Union always had MORE warheads than the united states. We just had more than enough to do the job. There is talk that there is quite a big nuclear gap these days between the US and Russia. The Soviets have ignored and bullshitted their way though virtually every disarmament treaty we've been in the last 15 years. Since the end of the USSR, not only did we start with less missiles, we've dismantled far more than the Russians.

We no longer have the nuclear triad. All our stealth nuclear cruise missiles have been decommissioned. Forget about low yield tactical nukes and nuclear artillery shells - theyre all gone.

The scary thing is, Mr. Obama wants to cut our arsenal even more

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. DubStyle I may be wrong, but I doubt it Registered Senior Member

The fear people have over nuclear winter and deadly fallout that destorys all life is bullshit that was put out by the environmentalists in the 70s. 99% of radiation is gone after 7 days of a nuclear blast. 99.9 within 7 weeks. You are right, you only have to worry if youre close to ground zero or downwind without cover.

lol. The scary thing is that if we were ever to get in a real nuclear war with russia, you'd have thousands of incoming MIRVs hitting every population center, industrial center, and military center over and over again for quit some time. It's not just one or two blasts you gotta look out for in that event. lol .

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

DubStyle i was reading an artical about an ABC journilist setting up a bomb sheltier in Israil which i will try to find latter.

Apart from the irony at the end of the artical where he realises after he has set it up acording to the standeds set by the millarty that:
    a) he wont be in the shelter he would be out with the bombs REPORTING on it

and
    b) that he now has so much crap he has to find a new home for

there was an interesting point about the room having to be air tight to protect against chemical weapons

Now if the room is say 6mx6mx3m and you make it air tight like instructed the likly outcome is that you will be dead anyway by the time the first strike is over symply from the lack of air. Especially if this is a whole family in this small room

I have always found that the stupidist thing about fall out shelters, it doesnt matter how much food and water you put in them because everyone will suffercate as soon as you shut the door