What would happen if....

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Joeblow93132, Jan 6, 2002.

1. What would happen if you removed an X sex chromosome from a fertilized male human egg cell and added another Y sex chromosome. If females are XX and males are XY, what would a YY be? Would it have male or female sex organs? Would it have any sex organs at all? I'm interested in what this creature would look like. Any input is appreciated.

Tom

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Biggles Custos morum Registered Senior Member

What a groovy question. Since such every human has an X Chromosome the removal of such would have disasterous results.

The male, or Y-chromosome is somewhat shorter & has fewer genes loated on it. This has been linked to why women live longer than men, and why they are more resilient at birth (and better at cleaning!).

However, there are known cases where humans have inherited too many sex chromosomes. For instance an XYY man is usually a homicidal maniac. Richard Speck, killed eight nurses in Chicago in 1966, is supposed to have XYY. Although estimates that these individuals occur as many as 1 in 3,000, a check in a Scottish prison found that fourteen percent* had this biological problem.

* If my memory serves me correctly!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Biggles Custos morum Registered Senior Member

ie: There would be no organism at the end... in fact it would not even come to term. The X chromosome contains vital genetic code, that without we would not be here. So guys, next time you see you Mum, give her an extra special big hug!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Shaman Registered Senior Member

xyy and violence

8. Biggles Custos morum Registered Senior Member

Thanks Shaman!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!