What would happen if the Earth was tidally locked to the Sun?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Shazzaming, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Shazzaming Registered Member

This would mean that the same side of Earth is always facing the Sun. Therefore, it takes Earth the same amount of time to rotate around its own axis as it does to orbit the Sun. Because of the tilt of Earth's axis only one constant hemisphere would be facing the Sun. Therefore, there would be no day or night changes. One side of Earth would get constant heat and the other side would be very cold. Right??

But, what would happen to the Sun's path over a 24 hour period in the hemisphere that is facing the Sun? Would the Sun never set, instead just follow a circular path in the sky, or would it remain at one point in the sky the whole day?

Also would there be equinoxes or solstices?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. P. BOOM! Registered Senior Member

It would not rise or set, but it would slowly travel north and south with the seasons just as it does now, so there would be equinoxes and solstices since the tilt still exists.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. valich Registered Senior Member

I seem to be noticing a cycle on sciforum where the same basic question comes up about every 5-6 months. You might want to research the archives.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. P. BOOM! Registered Senior Member

So my answer was correct? I was just shooting from the hip.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. valich Registered Senior Member

P. BOOM!: I have a little gold star that I need to put on your essay

Shazzaming: You do know of course that the sun technically never rises or sets, right? It's all relative of course, but the sun is at the center of our solar system and the Earth is what turns and orbits around it. So you have to view it as the Earth is what turns and causes the apparent rising and setting of the sun. The sun does not rise relative to the Earth. Relative to the Earth, the sun is stationary.

9. P. BOOM! Registered Senior Member

It occured to me yesterday that there would be very long day/night changes for anyone who lived north of the arctic circle or south of the antarctic circle.

10. valich Registered Senior Member

Yes, during the Spring and Summer solstices - the two times of the year when the sun is at its greatest distance from the equator - the area above the Arctic circle receives 24 hours of sunight due to the relative tilt of the Earth towards the Sun. It is just the opposite below the Antatarctic circle. I've been up to the Arctic Sea during this time and it really plays tricks on your body and mind. It kept me wide awake for a week-and-a-half before I was able to get any sleep - which was a great advantage to begin with, and proves why our body cycles have 24-hour sleep-awake periods. Around 3:00 A.M the Sun is more yellowish but never sets.

11. doodah Registered Senior Member

Spring solstice? What time of year does that occur? Maybe you meant winter solstice?, or spring (vernal) equinox?

12. valich Registered Senior Member

Awh! Darn it! Ahhh! I thought I'd take the easy way out, but now I'll probably be hit with endless questions. Glad you're on my tail doodah! So I post the following:

Okay. Okay. North of the Tropic of Cancer the Summer Solstice is the longest daylight duration of the year over the Northern Hemisphere and signifies the start of the summer. Sunrise reaches its furthest northeast location on the day of the solstice, moving further and further south each day until at the winter solstice when the drift stops and the solar trip back north begins. By watching the sunrise/sunset locations change over this six month period, the day-to-day changes are greatest around the equinoxes. At the latitude of the Arctic Circle, the solstice does bring the only 24-hour day of total daylight, but as you move more-and-more north toward the Pole, the number of 24-hour periods between sunrise and sunset increases. The ultimate long-day occurs at the North Pole where the sun rises with the Spring Equinox and finally sets again 189 days later with the Autumn Equinox. At the winter in the North Pole the sun never rises and it is in total darkness; likewise, total sun during the summer: polar night, polar day. On the day of the autumnal equinox sunlight and darkness are of almost equal length. At the south pole the sun rises, and at the north pole it sets for six months.

To understand this you need to know the inclination of the Earth's axis (currently ~23.45 degrees), summer solstice (near June 21), winter solstice (near December 21), spring (or vernal) equinox (near March 21) and fall (or autumnal) equinox (near September 22). The Earth's inclination angle changes from about 23.5 at the June solstice, 0 at the equinoxes in March and September, and -23.5 at the December solstice.

Earth's axis of rotation would be tilted, or inclined, at an angle of about 23 1/2 degrees with respect to the perpendicular line. It is this inclination of the Earth's axis of rotation that is the reason for the seasons. The earth maintains the same angle of inclination throughout its orbit. Another way of saying this is that the earth’s axis is parallel to itself at all points in its orbit.
    Source: http://daphne.palomar.edu/jthorngren/tutorial.htm

13. valich Registered Senior Member

Regions in Northern Alaska, Canada and Norway, North of the Arctic circle (66.56° north) are known as the "Land of the Midnight Sun" because after the Summer Solstice (June 20 or 21) there is 24 hours of daylight. The Summer Solstice and Winter Soltice are the two times of the year when the sun is at its greatest distance from the equator. This is in contrast to the equinoxes when the sun can be observed directly above the equator.

So during the Summer Solstice, or June Solstice, places above the Arctic Circle will see the Sun above the horizon during midnight, and all places north of the Arctic Circle will see the Sun above horizon at any time of the day. This is the midnight sun or midsummernight sun or polar day. On the other hand, places at latitude 66.56° south, the Antarctic Circle will see the Sun just on the horizon during midday, and all places south of it will not see the Sun above horizon at any time of the day. That is the polar night. During the June Solstice the Sun appears to be directly overhead at noon for places situated at latitude 23.44° north, known as the tropic of Cancer. December solstice the same thing happens for latitude 23.44° south, known as the tropic of Capricorn. All places on Earth in between these two latitudes are known as the tropics and will see the Sun in the zenith at least two days in the year.

The farther north you go above the Arctic Circle, the higher the sun will be, and the longer the duration will be throughout the year that you will see the sun for 24 hours a day, reaching its maximum duration at the North Pole where the midnight sun lasts till the Autumnal Equinox (September 22 or 23).

The Earth's Axis of Rotation is tilted towards the Sun during the Summer Solstice and is aligned with the Line of Intersection that defines the Arctic circle. Since the Northern Hemisphere is tilted towards the Sun, this is the longest day of the year. The Sun's rays strike at less of an angle, temperatures are consequently warmer, and we have Summer in the Northern Hemisphere, while the Southern Hemisphere, experiencing the exact opposite orientation, has its Winter. The Sun reaches maximum Northern Declination in the sky at exactly 23½° North and this defines the Tropic of Cancer. On the Arctic Circle at the Summer Solstice, the Sun will never completely set, and will just touch the horizon before beginning to climb back into the sky again. At and above this latitude, the Sun never sets in the summer. The opposite is of course true at or below the Antarctic Circle, where 24 hours of night reigns.

After another three months (and another 90° of orbit), the Autumnal Equinox occurs. During this time the Earth's Axis of Rotation is perpendicular to the Sun, and perpendicular to the Line of Intersection. The days and nights are again of equal length, and the Sun's Declination is again 0°.

Source: http://www.astrologyclub.org/articles/ecliptic/ecliptic.htm