What would happen if the Earth stopped spinning?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by mindraker, May 27, 2003.

1. mindraker Registered Senior Member

What would happen to the Earth if it stopped spinning?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. valentino Registered Senior Member

If that happened, Hilary Swank and a team of scientists (including a quirky guy with an insatiable love for Star Trek and pop tarts) would journey to the core of the earth to "restart the planet" using big ass explosives, thus saving us all.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

Blacks won't be called minorities anymore.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

It would be daytime or nighttime forever in certain parts of the world.

Last edited: May 27, 2003
  8. doom Registered Senior Member

Due to no centrifugal force youll weigh about 100 times more than you did,there is gravity,the earths spin has nothing to do with gravity,but you will weigh more and youll be stuck like super glue to the floor,
    which would suck.

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

you would die

10. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

The weather would stop, winds would stop....chaos will take place....where it was nighttime at that moment the Earth stopped it would become frozen hell.

Big budget movies will take place on this phenomenon.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

We will weigh 100 times more than before? Does this mean that insecure women will be asking us, "Does this gravity make me look fat?".

12. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

That is almost redundant.

13. Reinstein Registered Senior Member

DOOM,

No, the change in weight would be unnoticable. If you calculate the centrifugal acceleration due to the Earths rotation, it comes out extremely small compared to g. (no i dont remember it off hand). If what you said was true, then it would be impossible to visit the south pole because explorers would get 'glued' as you put it, to the ground. The Earth's surface may rotate quickly at the equator (about 1000 mi/h). but remember that centripetal acceleration equals v^2/r. r would be earth's radius, which is very large compared to the velocity squared in the numberator.

14. Reinstein Registered Senior Member

HOWEVER,

If the Earth immediately stopped rotating, objects on the Earth would still be traveling at 1000 mi/h, so everything not bounded to the Earth, (including us), would seem suddenly fly forward at 1000mi/h, but so would the air so there wouldn't be any air resistance. If the slowing of rotation was gradual, however, it would be just as you expect, you would feel an acceleration in the west direction, like braking at a stop light. Not to mention, the tremendous force would cause contintental plates to drift dramatically causing tremendous Earthquakes, and in each ocean a humongous tidal wave would result.

15. venomx Registered Senior Member

that would explain why eskimos are so short, they are subject to 100 times gravity since earth spin has zero effect at the north pole........!!!!

:m:

16. venomx Registered Senior Member

ah, a 'what if..?' ... my favourite game

well how would the earth stop spinning? ok say some super huge alien mothercraft uses its graviton beam on earth, and the stopping force acts equally over all mass, then you'd notice no deceleration.

But if it happend only within the earth then the crust would slide over the mantle at 1000mph / 1600kph ...
    Mommentum would be lost to friction which would turn into heat.
    If you survived the global super-earthquake this all would cause, then super-volcanos would be ripping up the earths crust....

nice

17. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

I think I read somewhere that stopping the earth rotating (molten core included) would also cause the loss of our magnetosphere which as i understand it protects us, all life actually, from lethal cosmic rays. Maybe some stuff in the ocean would be protected. Am i remembering that right?

18. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

After awhile, you would wake up.

19. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

If the earth stopped spinning?

Flowering plants would die out (we might too), either from no light or because they would never flower. Many plants use the amout of daylight per day to determine what season it is (Photoperiodism - a science studied by people who grow plants in wardrobes with anti-burgler light timers and specifically want the 'buds' of the plant to grow!). Obviously the day would change as the earth orbits the sun, but it would take too long and the plants would perish on the dark side.

Weather would still very much exist, as the tides are controlled by the moon's orbit, and convection currents would occur between the warm and cold areas of the sea and air.

20. Flores Registered Senior Member

Jerrek, even when you're trying to make a joke you lack tact and try to involve your racism to the equation.

Why do you call Americans Blacks....I have never met in my life a black Amercan, I don't even thing such a color as black can exist as a human pigmentation, maybe brown, but never black.....So are whites, there is no such thing as a white person. lacking complete pigmentation. We are all pigmented with varrying degrees of brown, and our hair and eye colors range in color as well. Some dark brown people have green and blue eyes, and some lighter people have brown eyes, there is no correlation.

Can't you elevate your racist mind to consider people just people and stop defferenciating based on skin pigmentation....

21. Flores Registered Senior Member

To stay on topic

If earth stopped spinning, it would fall out of it orbit and become a meteor that is aimlessly heading toward it's crash.

22. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

WTF? How am I racist?

And how do you figure I called Americans black? Are you always this dumb or are you making a special effort today?

23. Flores Registered Senior Member

My job is to point your ignorance, I care nothing if you elevate or not from your shit hole. I call my special gift "Ability to understand subtelty" Jerrek...and anytime I feel you're subtely spraying stinch around, I'll make sure to let you know.