What will your job be in 10 years?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Jagger, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Jagger Registered Senior Member

So what will your next job be? Better make sure it can't be done cheaper overseas. Maybe I should rephrase the question as where will your job be in 10 years.

From todays NYT. http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/26/opinion/26HERB.html

Education Is No Protection
    By BOB HERBERT

The conference was held discreetly in the Westin New York hotel in Times Square last week, and by most accounts it was a great success.

The main objections came from a handful of protesters who stood outside in a brutally cold wind waving signs that said things like "Stop Sending Jobs Overseas" and "Put America Back to Work." No one paid them much attention.

The conference was titled "Offshore Outsourcing: Making the Journey Work for Your Corporation." Its goal was to bring executives up to speed on the hot new thing in corporate America, the shipment of higher-paying white-collar jobs to countries with eager, well-educated and much lower-paid workers.

"We basically help companies figure out how to offshore I.T. [information technology] and B.P. [business process functions]," said Atul Vashistha, the chief executive of NeoIT, a California consulting firm that co-hosted the conference.

Several big-name corporations had representatives at the conference, including Procter & Gamble, Motorola, Cisco Systems and Gateway.

Because the outsourcing of white-collar jobs is so controversial and politically charged (especially in a presidential election year), there was a marked reluctance among many of the participants to speak publicly about it. But Mr. Vashistha showed no reluctance. He was quick to proselytize.

"These companies understand very clearly that this is a very painful process for their employees and for American jobs in the short term," he said. "But they also recognize that if they don't do this, they will lose more jobs in the future and they won't have an ability to grow in the future."

He said his firm had helped clients ship about a billion dollars' worth of projects offshore last year.

Noting that he is an American citizen who was born in India, Mr. Vashistha said he is convinced that outsourcing will prove to be a long-term boon to the U.S. economy as well as the economies of the countries acquiring the exported jobs.

Whether it becomes a boon to the U.S. economy or not, the trend toward upscale outsourcing is a fact, and it is accelerating. In an important interview with The San Jose Mercury News last month, the chief executive of Intel, Craig Barrett, talked about the integration of India, China and Russia — with a combined population approaching three billion — into the world's economic infrastructure.

"I don't think this has been fully understood by the United States," said Mr. Barrett. "If you look at India, China and Russia, they all have strong education heritages. Even if you discount 90 percent of the people there as uneducated farmers, you still end up with about 300 million people who are educated. That's bigger than the U.S. work force."

He said: "The big change today from what's happened over the last 30 years is that it's no longer just low-cost labor that you are looking at. It's well-educated labor that can do effectively any job that can be done in the United States."

In Mr. Barrett's view, "Unless you are a plumber, or perhaps a newspaper reporter, or one of these jobs which is geographically situated, you can be anywhere in the world and do just about any job."

You want a national security issue? Trust me, this threat to the long-term U.S. economy is a big one. Why it's not a thunderous issue in the presidential campaign is beyond me.

Intel has its headquarters in Silicon Valley. A Mercury News interviewer asked Mr. Barrett what the Valley will look like in three years. Mr. Barrett said the prospects for job growth were not good. "Companies can still form in Silicon Valley and be competitive around the world," he said. "It's just that they are not going to create jobs in Silicon Valley."

He was then asked, "Aren't we talking about an entire generation of lowered expectations in the United States for what an individual entering the job market will be facing?"

"It's tough to come to another conclusion than that," said Mr. Barrett. "If you see this increased competition for jobs, the immediate response to competition is lower prices and that's lower wage rates."

We can grapple with this problem now, and try to develop workable solutions. Or we can ignore this fire in the basement of the national economy until it rages out of our control.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Now that corporate interests have steered US policy to a severely damaging course for hard times, and now that the US government has committed to "Staying the Course", transnational corporations will do what they do best, and look out for #1. Washington's "Bring 'em On" has already been answered by the world's "Who do you think you are?", followed by CorpWorld's "Move Em' Out". Now we are waiting for realization to elicit a resounding collective American "Doh!"

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'll be retired still in 10 years ......or dead!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Undecided Banned Banned

Public Sector Jobs Rock!

8. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

The only way I can see out of this pickle is for Americans (who have had it too good for too long according to the marketplace) to expatriate, to places like India who are getting these jobs, and start companies that set the bar in employee wages and benefits. If we can have a crack team of entrepreneurs to do this, we can simply RUIN all these nations that corporations want to outsource to by spoiling their employees the American way! So how about it? Which one of us is patriot enough to improve the standard of living of a foreign nation?

9. Undecided Banned Banned

That would possibly collapse the Global economy, you have to understand that capitalism needs to exploit someone.

10. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Anything is possible. In fact, it looks like these are the beginnings of a new, *even bigger* .com boom. I have three sites planned for the spring/summer to get me started, in time for Uni which I'll begin in the fall (computer science.) I don't care what anybody says about job prospects, outsourcing, or anything else related to the field. The reason I say this is because the biggest surprises usually happen in the most unlikely places..and if people expect such poor prospects in computer science, then I'd be glad to prove them wrong.

Another course that'll be hot for the job market is Linguistics..for obvious reasons.

Economists simply can't predict things based on the natural flow of jobs. There are a million other factors such as politics, the environment and cultural change that play much bigger roles in the economy. The only advice I can give is to not waste time worrying and listen to your gut.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  11. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

i would probably say that my job will be something in the hanging out with hot supermodels

12. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

13. kmguru Staff Member

There is a prediction that 2012 will be a social disaster. Not withstanding those hokey predictions...as more middle class are laid off and end up flipping hamburgers...the purchasing power will wane and there could be a rapid spiral and social instability. Not much damage will happen in India Inc. because those workers are a very tiny percent of the total population, hence most of them would be out of jobs but have enough money to live off for years.

14. kmguru Staff Member

Another outsourcing seminar: (Where you will hear a giant sucking sound of job loss)

When: Thursday, February 26, 2004

Where: The Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia,
    7th Street between Arch & Race Streets
    Philadelphia

Time: 2:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., followed by a cocktail reception.

15. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

I'm trying to start two businesses at the moment, so the "what" aspect of the my job would be businessman.

If all works out as planned, both businesses could be run from pretty much anywhere, so that takes care of the "where" aspect.

I'm also in the process of trying to write a book but, again, that can be done from pretty much anywhere.

16. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

yes i have heard about this impending disater. But i heard it was something about us humans will ruin ourselfs, but i think that already happened

17. zonabi free thinker Registered Senior Member

work for yourself. help others

there is hope!

18. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

10 years? I'll be God by then, obviously.

She's retiring in '06 and she promised I'm the next in line.

19. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

who the hell are you talkin about

20. kmguru Staff Member

Looks like you are not the only psycho in town....

21. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

She means Ms. God

22. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

yes, thank you for explaing it to them, I assumed it was obvious.

23. kmguru Staff Member

Nothing is obvious to psychos...they are in a whole different world....