What was the most significant Event in the History of Man?

Discussion in 'History' started by Xerxes, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

BuffyS: Nither the moon landing nor the birth of Christ occurred? Wow!

Do not advertise your location or real name. The christian fundamentalists are as fanatic as anybody. They might not use suicide bombers to get you, but they have been known to use rifles, burning at the stake, and other methods to punish heritics.

Those who are pro-technology will only call you silly for your opinion, and the conspiracy nuts will probably agree with you about the moon landing.

BTW: Do you have any views considered heresy by the Islamic, Shinto, Hindu, Bhuddists, et cetera believers?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

who cares about that other stuff? you missed my message completely.

SPAM (spiced-ham), meat in a can you fool! everything else is trivial.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. poposhisho Registered Senior Member

fire. you can't go very far without covering the basics.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

fire's like gravity, it's right in front of you. If the person that discovered fire died seconds after the discovery (quite possible now that I think about it) I suspect it would have been rediscovered about fifteen minutes later by someone else.

Fire's certainly useful but it's kinda like discovering water, inevitable.

8. poposhisho Registered Senior Member

true, but you cant create water, theres the same ammount of water now as there was a million years ago. when i said fire, i ment the power to wield it, sorry i wasnt more specific.

9. Flintlock Registered Senior Member

Fore, yes, I was just about to say that myself. Before Man mastered the creation of fire, and learned how to weild it, he had no time to actually sit down and think, especially abstractly. No significant innovation I can think of could possibly have been created without the mastery of fire.

10. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

I keep trying to think of something more important but I have to agree that the manipulation of fire is the foundation of pretty much everything we've ever done or made.

EDIT: After rereading the actual thread title I realize that I missed the point of the question. It's not the most important discovery or invention but "the most significant event". In that case I'd have to say it is whatever caused the domination of mammals, whether it was a meteor impact or just that dinosaurs got lazy and watched too much tv.

11. Flintlock Registered Senior Member

If you want to go that far back, it might as well be the creation of the universe. I think he meant the most significant event DURRING man's existence.

12. P. M. Thorne Registered Senior Member

I am not sure there is any one thing that is most significant to one and all.

13. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

well if thats the case I guess I stand by my first suggestion.

SPAM

14. StarOfEight A Man of Taste and Decency Registered Senior Member

Dinosaur - if you want a good, brief explanation as to the potential impact of the Mongol invasion, and as to why the turned back, look for a book called What If?

The basic explanation, though, is that one of the Mongol chiefs died, and according to tribal custom, he had to be buried in Mongolia. The Mongols never recovered the momentum the lost with the burial. I believe there was also tensions over succession and what not.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-7964708-2645468?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

15. mikeyp Registered Member

Come on people the most significant event in history hands down is the invention of the air conditioner..............

16. aw3524 Registered Senior Member

I'd say when nuclear power was discovered. That was when man could harness the true power of something as small as an atom.

17. joemamaa Registered Senior Member

The bible !!!!!!! was wrote.

18. chaoticorder Registered Member

after reading all the posts listed, I seemed to very confuse. first fire is a natural cause of nature so eventually they would have seen a forest burning after thunder and lightning. so before the fire disappear they could have continuosly fed the fire so it would never turn off.( I am discussing the effect of that fire on global warming) what i am saying is simply that by observation they will notice that the fire remain alive with dry leaves and branches which they had plenty at that time. the actual discovery of creating fire by friction came as accident while they were perfecting their hunting spears.so now they know they can make fire when they wanted it.so the forest fire was turn off (THank god). next the wheel or the disc was also a natural phenomena of nature, volcanos were alive , the plateaus were shifting then so thing were bound to roll and move from higher points to lower points. if a stone of softer rock rolls down rocky hill will end up at the bottom with no sharp edges. so the first important concept that man can reason was the fact that they saw that and were able to see a future in that event. thus i think that was the first step in shaping who we are today. second the next step has to be the invention of language either by symbols,letters or words. and third the invention of a machine to similate the human brain. if Fermat had a computer then he could not have written on the edge of a book that he had no room left to write the SIMPLE proof he had to show that: a(n) + b(n) = c(n) is not true for n>2..as you all know hundreds of mathematicians have worked on this problem to no avail. lately it was proven by a Wiles. but the more than 5000 page proof after more than 6 years of examining it line by line have not been accepted yet as been complete. so i think those 3 simple have been the most significant events in the history and evolution of humankind. thank you,.

19. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

I think the argument for fire is less about it's discovery and more about our manipulation of it.

20. chaoticorder Registered Member

oh one more thought.
    if we look at the role of religion in humankind , i must say it does not look good. in general the only thing religion have done for man is to create wars conflict and separation of humans. so i see religion as a significant event in the destruction of human kind. which is not exactly what i think the question is really asking.
    and the truth is that the only thing that have made us survive this long is the fact that we live very chaotic lives in very ordered system or viceversa what have made us survive this long is the fact the we live very ordered lives in a very chaotic system.
    i.e. we have never let anything or anyone take complete control over all of us and we will never let it happen. so no matter what we may say now by nature hitler could have never taken over the world. the mongolian empire which can be concider the only empire to have taken control over the whole world was defeated not by man power but by sickness., a natural disaster. All the other empires have had a rise and a fall. none were able to take over the world completely as you know any power that have tried to take over have been met with surprising unified forces. (for example USA and USSR allied in WWll just to make sure that no single force would take over the world) and that has been the goal of human kind unification before rendition .

21. eddymrsci Beware of the dark side Registered Senior Member

I agree, we didn't exactly discover fire, because it was always there, we learned to control and produce it
    As for the most significant event, I really cannot think of one, they are all seem pretty important to me, all those events played an equal and significant role in the history of man

22. joemamaa Registered Senior Member

Religion is the most signifigant thing that has shaped mankind, More people were killed in the name of religion than all other events added together .

23. eddymrsci Beware of the dark side Registered Senior Member

yeah religion is pretty influential too
    Also Galileo's questioning of Aristotle's authority in science and philosophy, Renaissance, and Magellan's voyage around the world were pretty significant too