What was the most significant Event in the History of Man?

Discussion in 'History' started by Xerxes, Jan 28, 2004.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The invention of language (if you can call it an event) was much more significant than any one historical figure. Language led to culture that could be transmitted to the next generations, culture to inventions like the flint knife and spear, those weapons led to much free time for more inventions like agriculture, agriculture led to civilization... and the mess we are now in!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

The problem with deciding which events were the most unique, like, say the invention of writing, or the invention of flight, is that their very creations were virtually inevitable. If the Wright Brothers hadn't figured out how to fly someone else would have. Same goes for writing, or the development of language at all, to whoever did it first. Same for Jesus as well--I'm sure that if he had broken his neck as a child or something, a different messiah would have rolled around eventually. The Jesus we know of today was largely shaped by the early papacy, by the New Testament. Not by the man himself, if he even really existed. The same would have happened to any replacement, eventually.

So what we have to do is find an event that is quite unique, something that no person other than the original progenitor could have ever created/discovered/influenced. Someone very unique, very different, who did something totally unexpected that would significantly alter the world up to the present day.

Therefore, I choose Constantine the Great, and his abrupt and completely unexpected declaration of Christianity as Rome's official religion. In those times, Christianity was a fringe religion, with little power or influence. To be a bigot, their activities in the larger Roman world didn't extend far beyond being thrown to the lions at the local stadium. And that job didn't carry a good pay, and NO BENEFITS either. If the United States had an official religion (it would probably be Protestant), it would be something to the equivalent, I think, of declaring Neo Paganism the new state-sponsored religion. I don't think that anyone except him would have ever done what he did, ever, furthermore, I believe quite adamently that had he not done what he did, we would still be worshipping the same pagan gods the Greeks, Romans, and their ancestors had been worshipping since virtually the birth of the human race. Christianity and Judaism would likely remain fringe cultures, or would just fade away. Islam would never have formed, or if it did, it would not enjoy the following that it has now.

Without Constantine's actions, the world we would be living in now would be markedly different. It's impossible to say, for better or for worse (many on this liberal board would likely say worse, but I am a skeptic), but it would be different, and it all goes back to him.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

That does not take away from the significance of that event. If Wright brothers hadn't taken flight when they did how much time would have passed berfore someone did. People laughed at their attempts so how long?...How would that have effected the coming future?

Sure someone would have done it sooner and later but their significance lies in the fact that their discovery caused change and turned the tides of the coming future.

Sure someone would have fought for his/her people but Martin Luther King did when he did and by doing so he changed the future.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

There was already a wealth of information around on flight (work done by Da Vinci, Bernoulli's Principle), and many people were trying to do it at the time--haven't you seen those films of the old flying machines? I bet that if the Wright Brother's hadn't done it, flight would have been accomplished within five years of them.

I agree with you. I don't think he was as influential as Constantine, but I believe that he is irreplaceable in history. It is highly unlikely that someone with his intelligence and oratory skill would have easily filled his place during the Civil Rights movement, just because people like that anywhere are extremely hard to find. I'm not sure that anyone like him exists even today.

8. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Its radical to think had he not done what he did. Who could have been as influential?

Oprah?...her influence and power comes from the rights he gained for his people?

For me this raises an interesting question. Do strong black figures like Oprah succeed because of their natural willingness to get ahead or really because they work in a world changed by Martin Luther King. Would Oprah have made it even if King never did what he did?

but I am going way off track here.

9. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

"Would Oprah have made it even if King never did what he did?"

Absolutely not. No way in hell.

10. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

I would have to say that the most significant event would be the invention of atomic weapons. It was at this point that we gained the ability to kill off the human race, and knowing man's nature, our future has become somewhat ominous and uncertain. The balance of World power can be shifted in a heartbeat, simply by a country acquiring a stockpile of these weapons(Pakistan, India).

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If writing wasn't invented then airplanes couldn't have been built.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Good suggestions. There's no one right answer of course. I particularly agree with those who voted for language, both the spoken and the written version. It's lately been convincingly hypothesized that man was not able to migrate out of Africa until after we developed language -- it's starting to look like there is really only one single language family.

But that won't stop me from presenting my own suggestion, which many of you may have already read on other threads.

The voluntary joining of humans and dogs into a single community in eastern Asia around 10,000BCE. This was the first time that two species transcended the limitations of their instinctive tribalism, fear, and other habitual behaviors and learned how to complement each other's strengths and weaknesses to mutual advantage. (Symbiosis and parasitism don't count. Those are genetically programmed behaviors. One is necessary to the survival of both species and the other is detrimental to the host.)

Before dogs, humans lived in tribes of a few hundred, with tenuous relations to nearby related tribes. Everyone had a passing acquaintance with everyone else, and they were all literally family. Arguments and scuffles broke out as in any family, and occasionally somebody would cause serious harm and/or emigrate. But in general people felt an instinct to care for their kin, to not horde, waste, steal, or slack off, at the expense of someone else's comfort or survival.

This was the best we could do. People a thousand miles away were no concern of ours. If they tried to move into our area they were competing for scarce resources and a conflict was virtually inevitable. We lived the way our closest relatives still live (chimps and the other social species of apes), albeit in much bigger tribes.

Then suddenly we discovered that life can be better if we accept another tribe into our community. One that is, to put it mildly, quite different from ours. Different lifestyle, different things they care about and different things that don't matter at all to them, different family relationships, different skills and weaknesses, different ways of establishing leadership. Even with the major hindrance of an almost total inability to communicate with them beyond sign language and follow-the-leader.

It was a bonanza. We suddenly had hunters in our tribe who could smell game five miles away and run as fast as many game animals. Fierce, capable fighters who could see during the night, protect our camp from gigantic predators, or at least selflessly sacrifice their lives trying. Companions who happily ate the food we kept dropping on the ground, getting rid of most of those annoying insects and other scavengers. Folks with their own permanent fur coats who could really warm up a cold bed, who stayed to herd the babies of both species so all of us who weren't pregnant or nursing could go out hunting and gathering.

Meanwhile... the dogs suddenly had hunting partners who bring down a mammoth. Companions who kept dropping perfectly good food on the ground. Campfires. Baby humans who spent years doing nothing but playing -- and just loved dogs. Healers who could set broken bones and cure many illnesses. Prosperity that allowed the tribe to support a beloved but permanently disabled comrade.

This first multi-species community taught us that it is not only possible to care for and cooperate with "people" who are really different -- but that it's to everyone's benefit to do so.

Is anybody with me on this? If we hadn't already stumbled into this experience with dogs, would we ever have been able to make the great leap of forming "communities" with people on the other side of the planet that we never even see? People whose beliefs and customs we find a bit off-putting? People with whom we have to set up elaborate political and economic structures to make sure that everybody is carrying their weight and nobody is sandbagging?

Considering what a mediocre job we are actually doing at this moment, I really wonder whether we owe our ability to have invented civilization in the first place... to our loving, trusting, forgiving friend: Canis familiaris.

13. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I've always believed that people don't really invent things. The 'times' invent things. It just happens that certain facts/ideas come to light at the same time... and lead somebody to the conclusion of how to do something new. I think this is supported by the number of discoveries that have happened in 2 different places at the same time.

So to echo the thought of others "if 'they' didn't do it, somebody else would".

14. CuriousGene Supreme Allied Commander Registered Senior Member

How about the discovery of fire.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Neurocomp2003 Registered Senior Member

damn some one beat me to it...but yes fire.

16. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

thanks for the correction (specification), fetus.
    I hope one day in the future there's an end to the depndency.....

17. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

Agriculture

18. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Tough call. In addition to those above: Printing.

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

The day I was born.

20. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I agree with you fraggle rocker, I made a thread on the subject in human science a while back but I went a bit more extreme, as i do, i can't even remember but I think i might have even said humans would have no written word if it wasn't for dogs.
    I think they definately had a huge impact on the human species in many obvious ways and many more less obvious ways and even more ways by extension.
    As we domesticated them, they domesticated us.
    All the basic things that got civilisation started used to actually require a dog, agriculture is a perfect example. I doubt humans would have become anything like they are today if it wasn't for the joining of teams with dogs.

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Pockets.

There's an old Jerry Seinfeld bit about "if dogs had pockets."

Steven Brust, in Athyra, makes an odd and subtle point about young boys, talking to girls, and having no place to put your hands.

Put those two together, and the importance of pockets becomes clear.

The advent of pockets--the human ability to be a packrat on the go--made history a living and identifiable experience, even before humans could express the concept.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2004
  22. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

What about shoes? Much more important than pockets. I mean, what's the point of being a pack rat on the go, if you can't actually go anywhere, due to blisters on your feet?

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

How about good sanitation , without a place to dispose of poop, you'd all be in a big problem and up to your ears in poop.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!