What was Jesus like?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by davewhite04, Jan 18, 2019.

1. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I've come across an interesting way at looking at Jesus. Anyone got any other ways? If you think he doesn't exist, just entertain the idea for a bit.

"The character of Jesus is something unique to the NT. We have a holy guy who is not married, who never talks to God, seems to have no home, is friends with strangers, goes around preaching with a group of guys, and seems to have no direction. God never tells him to go anywhere or do anything. He may be the first hippie doing his own thing. As opposed to all the characters of the OT who seem to have a goal or a direction."

I'm going with the quote.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seattle Valued Senior Member

It appears he was in need of a treatment center, probably addicted to pot and likely gender or sexual orientation conflicted. Much of his sex life was kept hushed up.

Some called him lazy but I think "directionless" may be the more accurate term. They didn't have high school guidance counselors in those days and there is really no indication that he was anything other than a school dropout.

There was some effort to get him into the military to "make a man" out of him and to get his life back on track but unfortunately he was killed before that could happen. He got on the wrong side of the law, hung out with the wrong people and died much too young. These things happen.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Not sure about the military. We're talking 2000 years ago wearing sandles.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

That was military footwear in those days. Anyway, he never made it to the military or he would have shaped up and found some purpose in life.

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Following his birth, the NT is pretty much silent on Jesus' life before he was about 33. There's some references, but not much. For example, they don't talk about his brother.

davewhite04 likes this.
  9. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Jesus may have been a "dropout" but He impressed the scholars in the temple when He was twelve.

And He did speak to God, in the Garden of Gethsemane ("Take this cup from me.") and on the cross ("Why hast thou forsaken me?").

10. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

Religion is outdated in my opinion because religions are based on ancient myths and superstitions.

I think that it's unlikely that an historical Jesus really existed and even much more unlikely that he was the son of God.

Like some people say: extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and the existence of God is an extraordinary claim but I have yet to see any evidence.

11. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Absolutely ... just look at the many human gods that all share the same features as JC ...I counted over ten.
    All based in astrology...12 followers because the Sun (the god these human gods are seeking to align with) travels thru 12 constalations...death and a three day resurrection because the Sun was said to die at the middle of winter and starts its journey again after three days. ..a short study will show the myths were based in astrology and yet folk happily are unaware...

JC was just another Elvis impersonator one of many and clearly a myth and there is no evidence that even a historical JC existed.

But thats just one religion of the thousands that exist each of who claim they have the answers...it is all just unsupported superstition and the world will be a better place when humans free themselves of all these myths and superstition.
    Why?
    Thats how it starts..lets pretend at first but then it goes to a discussion as though you are discussing reality...you are not so I see the lets pretend game as nothing more than an exercise in dishonesty.

Its a pity folk wont deal with it all honestly and bury these lies permanently.

Alex

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

There's no reason to assume that Jesus was not married, other than that the bible doesn't say he was. At the time of writing, women were often left out of the narrative.

He had a home, by all reports, in Nazareth/Galilee.

Far from being directionless, he seemed to have clear aims in preaching against the iniquities of the high priests of Judaism, and in disseminating his own ideas about God and how to be nice to people. It would appear to be implicit in the bible that he was told to do this by God.

13. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

Didn't this Jesus chap also talk to the Devil, something about throwing yourself from a clifftop?

davewhite04 likes this.
  14. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Matthew 4:5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,
    6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
    7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
    8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
    9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.
    10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.​

TheFrogger and sweetpea like this.
  15. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

He was great at parties, water into wine. Making the food go around, fish and loaves. Resurrecting party drunks. Walking across the swimming pool without getting wet.

16. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

Alex, it reminds you of a snake doesn't it? But, it's ok though, they can be as tricksy as needs be against the heathen. Their doing it for God.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  17. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Frat boy.

sweetpea likes this.
  18. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Since you mentioned a house, look at this...

Matthew 2:11 And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense and myrrh.

I thought it was a barn?

Have you heard of the Mandela Effect?

19. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

OMG. Your not suggesting this leads to the conclusion the Bible is a made-up story, are you? Hold the front page.

20. kx000 Valued Senior Member

I believe Jesus is the embodiment of pacifism.

21. Kapyong Writer Registered Senior Member

Gday all,

Really ?
    Jesus said the opposite :

Matthew 10:34,35 -

"34 Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.
    35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law."

Jesus said he brought violence, not peace.
    Didn't you ever read that part ?

Kapyong

davewhite04 likes this.
  22. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

He also said, "Turn the other cheek," and, "Blessed are the peacemakers." Either you can't trust what He said or you can't take it too literally.

23. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

His actions show what type of person he was:

Matthew 21:12

And Jesus entered the temple and drove out all those who were buying and selling in the temple, and overturned the tables of the den.”

You can argue about what is meant to be taking literally or not, but the fact is he acted violently, he wasn't a pacifist. When he did act violently, he was doing so righteously.