What WARS has France won?

Discussion in 'History' started by mountainhare, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Goood point. Though a lot of the work was done by Sweden and Denmark, France put in the final kick to the groin that permenently put of the Kingdom of the Germans out of commission (remember, the Holy Roman Emperor also held the title "King of the Germans", thus making the bulk of the HRE the "kingdom of the germans").

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Didn't France win the biggest war in its history in 1066 when William of Orange INVADED England, DEFEATED its armies, CONQUERED its people, and OCCUPIED its land?

French was the official language of England and all of the nobility were French for hundreds of years.

The occupation, technically, was never terminated. England has had a continuous chain of government since then, the government of the French nobility is still in power. As the result of a gradual process, English replaced French as the official language while the French rulers intermarried with their English subjects. But it was and is a new English language, one that is overloaded with French words, not just academic or legal terms but everyday words like "use" and "very."

Half of English culture is French. What greater victory will France ever need?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mountainhare Banned Banned

Eh? I thought that William the Orange was Dutch. I also thought that he was an enemy of France, and allied with Spain to fight against them. Although I am quite sure that he conquered Britain.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. candy Valued Senior Member

I believe he meant William of Normandy who invaded in 1066 and stayed. I think the current royal family can trace it's roots to William the Conquer. William of Orange married Mary of England and shared rule with her.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Sorry. That was so long ago, I don't remember it clearly. ^_^

9. PanzerTank Registered Member

They def. did not win ww2... they surrendered in like 2 weeks while Poland held out for 40 something days with horse charges against the Nazi blitzkreig.

10. john smith Tongue in cheek Registered Senior Member

True, and i have a joke on the subject;

Why are there trees in Paris??

To give shade to the Germans marching underneath!!!!!

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I am sure you meant this William of Orange

Point being:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_of_Orange

There are a shitload of williams of orange.

-------

Americans should give back the statue of liberty if they hate france so much.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  12. Roman Banned Banned

The French won the American Revolution. Without French regulars, America hadn't a chance in hell to kick the Brits out.

13. Joker? Registered Senior Member

What war have the French won? The one of my heart,

14. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Not only that, but some 90% of our gunpowder and 75%of our cannons, not to mention half of our muskets and uniforms, came from France.

15. mountainhare Banned Banned

Roman:
    And without the Americans, the French wouldn't have had a chance of kicking the Germans out of German lands. However, I feel that the French are the true victors, since they bore the brunt of the fighting. The French pushed the Germans to the edge, and then the British and Americans pushed them over.

I think that is the similiar sort of scenario with the American Revolution. Americans done the brunt of the fighting, and the French gave the final 'push', allowing the Americans to win the major victories.

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You conviently have forgotten to mention the help of your communist friends from the east to run over the germans.

They in fact bore the brunt of the fighting, leaving inferior troops at the west front for the americans to run over.

17. Pi-Sudoku Slightly extreme Registered Senior Member

Are you joking.

WW1

The British did most of the fighting and saved frances but

WW2

France was successfully invaded and occupied by Germany.

At the collapse of the german rule frnace was handed back

18. philosopher´s stone Banned Banned

I managed to find a site called "The complete military history of France"
    here it is http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html

After thorough search in my own memory I have come up with a victory.
    France won the worldcup in football !!! - not sure if it counts .......

19. philosopher´s stone Banned Banned

I have found one more victory of France :
    on november 4.th 1985 french military agents managed to sink the unarmed and peaceseeking Greenpeace ship " Rainbow Warrior " by placing bombs on the ship´s
    vessel in the harbour of Auckland, New Zealand - killing one innocent
    greenpeace activist, who was aboard the ship.

This MUST count : armed military agents against a "warrior"
    (of course it would not count if the ships name was not "Warrior")

What do you think about this ?

20. philosopher´s stone Banned Banned

Oh by the way - Fraggle Rocker - William of Normandy was part Scandinavian part Frank , not french - his army normannic with scandinavian ancestors (vikings) - 1066 do not count ......

21. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

there are no winners in war

22. Hapsburg:

By your logic ("After getting Faceplanted for 100 years. I'd call it a draw since, up until the last few years, they were losing badly."), one could argue that the American Revolution was really a draw, since the British won the majority of the battles. Would you say that the American Colonies ended their revolution in a draw with the British? I doubt it. As mountainhare said, how many battles you win or lose is irrelevant as long as you win in the end, and certainly the French kicking the English off of their land constitutes a victory by any definition.

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Try telling that to the losers!

Baron Max