What type of bear is the fastest???

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Syzygys, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Since it came to my attention that old threads are frowned upon by certain mods, let's rephrase the topic and make it new:

Out of the 4 bear types, which one is the fastest:

-black
    -brown
    -grizzly
    -polar

Since the grizzly bear can run almost as fast as a horse (around 40 mph) we now just have to find out the short term rushing speed of the other bears....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The one that upset the bees hive to get the honey out and made the bees very upset and were chasing after him/her!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superstring01 Moderator

I'm going to take a guess and say grizzly. They actually have to run long distances for food.

~String

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Brown bears have been clocked at about 40 miles per hour, but they are not the fastest bear out there. The fastest bear is the black bear, followed by the grizzly, and then the brown bear.

How fast can a polar bear run? Well, they really don't seem to like running. When they do they can go as fast as forty kilometers an hour, but only for short distances before overheating. Polar bears usually walk or swim. They walk between two and five kilometers per hour, and can swim up to or around ten kilometers per hour.

http://answers.askkids.com/Life_on_Earth/how_fast_can_a_polar_bear_run

8. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

It doesn't matter, as long as you can run faster than the guy next to you.

9. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

We built two blinds out of tree branches, about 40 feet apart, called East and West, for I was an Easterner and my guide was a Westerner. Of course there were jokes about which side of the nation could shoot the best.

I had five shells, as did he, varying in weight and precision. I loaded the 180, saving the 225 and the three 150’s.

After a short while, we spotted the bear coming over the ridge, it stopping about 150 yards away and then standing and sniffing the air, moving its head from side to side and all about. It then moved a few feet forward and repeated this behavior. It knew that something was up, but it didn’t know where we were since the wind was in our favor. It was the same mighty and massive bear from yesterday that had buried a mule in a minute.

I was waiting to take the devastating spine shot, but after awhile it became clear that the bear was pushing forward and was not going to turn around. Meanwhile, the guide had been giving me the thumb’s-up sign again and again. We dared not speak. Still, I didn’t shoot, for it was not best to shoot a bear from the front. The guide threw his hands up as a signal to go for it already, and so I gauged the wind and allowed for gravity, aiming just an inch above the center of the heart.

The bear was still for a moment and in my sights so I squeezed off the round, quickly reloading the 225 round. The bear fell to the ground and the guide yelled out: “Hey, you got it with one shot; I guess Easterners can shoot!”

The guide shouldn’t have spoken, plus he had spoken too soon. The bear got up, howling with rage and then headed towards us at a good clip. I put another shot to the other side of the heart and the bear stumbled a bit, but then resumed its speed. Two shots to the heart and it was still coming!

I got another round off at 75 yards and another at 50 yards—using my 150’s that were good for a moving target, hitting the bear twice somewhere, in my haste of necessity, but the bear was still racing at full speed, now but 25 yards away. I had one bullet left.

If you’ve ever seen the layout of a human body, seeing the muscles beneath the skin, I can tell you that that is nothing compared to a bear’s. They are not chubby and full of fat, but are lean mean machines full of incredible power.

So, it still came on after I shot the last bullet. Meanwhile, the guide had put 5 bullets into the bear and it was still charging. I got out my knife. The guide looked at me, as if to say what the heck was I going to do with that!

The bear, but now 10 feet away, finally sprawled head first to the ground, its adrenaline finally gone, and slid up to with a foot of me and my knife. I backed up 10 feet.

“Is it dead?” the guide asked, going up to its front.

“Hold it,” I warned. “Never approach from the front; go around the back of it.”

He poked it with a stick. There was no response.

I took my share home and put it in the refrigerator. While I was out, my aunt noted it and said to her friend: “This meat is getting dark; it must not have been wrapped properly.”

“Hey, let’s have some,” said my aunt’s friend, “while it’s still good.”

“Ah, it’s so delicious.” they both agreed.

My grandmother soon arrived and told them that they had just eaten bear meat.

They clutched their stomachs and complained of terrible pains.

10. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Bear is greasy meat . You got cook it for a while

11. Pinwheel Banned Banned

OMG this was discussed 8 years ago lock thread quick!!

12. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I didn't understand the 180 and the 150s in the story . That is the weight of the bullet . 180 grain is heavier than 150 grain . If you sight in your gun for 180 grain bullets then you are not going to be shooting with accuracy when you slip in the 150 grain . If I was hunting bear I would want the 180 grain bullets . A yeah . Me 45 should do the trick . Hit the vitals , The kill zone is not that big , spine shots do a good job , but that is more of a lucky shot than a good shot. Besides chances are it will blood shot the back strap . Not good cause that be Me favorite. Head shots but then again bears have mighty hard heads

See you could say I had some 180 boat tail and 3 180 soft point core-lokt, even though I carried around some old 150 grain bullets I knew I would have to aim low by one foot to compensate for being dialed in for the 180 grain boat tails .

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  13. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Me Craighead post disappeared in that old 8 year post I think . Must have been a result of the thread closer . So well Caigheads were Me neighbors . You seen em on the discovery channel for those guys are leading experts on Griz . They radio collar track em all over the place from right there in the south hills of Missoula . First time I saw them on the discovery channel I about freaked . I said out loud ( and I was alone when I said it . Get the fuck out of here thems is Me neighbors . I wondered what the fuck they were up to. Yeah I drove by there house today and will again tomorrow tomorrow its only a day away . Fuck I think I know a few people. "Will never" are you getting this . Loser knows Craigheads . I am sorry I will never let you live that down . Now that is funny . To Me ! Actually I just know old woman Craighead and have never met the boys. I don't know if she is still alive . That was 9 to 10 years ago and she was old as dirt then. I have not seen her in the obituaries yet so I would think she is still hanging in there .
    Me uncle knows the boys from the old days has he studied the Griz in Yellowstone before they started taking em out of the park . You should here the stories he can tell about being surrounded by griz . Yeah that was back in the days when Stew Brandborg was the big cheese for the sierra club . That goes back a few years . The contention in the Bitter Root Valley . So the enviros want to reintroduce griz into the Bitter Root mountains . Fish and game denies there is any griz in the area . Hunters and fisher people have been reporting sightings for many years , but fish and game says No No No . Myths . You didn't see what you think you saw . You are an idiot hunter and you fisher people are even bigger idiots . ( Kind of like scientist on this S.F. forum sometimes . Well that was the stock answer up until one ran across the road ( Hyw. 93) in broad daylight during heavy morning traffic . Then it was fuck theres griz in them there hills . They say it wondered down out of the Sapphire Mountain range . Course there are no offical Griz there either so go figure . Saint Ignatius is were they come down and terrorize . The Mission Mountains . No doubt about em being there . So the thought is Bears won't cross the freeway . They do . Don't you just love superstitious woo science ! They even teach it to you people and act like it is true .

O.K. so lets review :
    1 grizzly Bears Cross Roads
    2 Grizzly bears consume humans
    3 Grizzly bears are no longer endangered

Thats Me myth busting for the day
    Until tomorrow . If I see Craigheads I will wave to em for you all tomorrow

14. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Type of bear that's the fastest.
    Is it a bear with Diarrhea that's very far from the woods?

15. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Is the Pope Catholic?

Bear vs Minnesota Accent

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  16. lightgigantic Banned Banned

17. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Actually, Pinwheel, there are potential benefits to discussing the topic of bears as human/bear conflict is on the increase for the simple reason that humans are infringing on the remaining wilderness habitat of bears.

Bears are omnivores and they are quite amenable to shifting their food sources. Humans are very careless with their food and garbage and frequently are to blame for these conflicts arising, yet in the end, once a bear has become an offender, we kill the bear.

Anyone who has ever suffered a bear attack can give you a first hand account of just how fast a bear can move.

18. Pinwheel Banned Banned

O'really? Shame the mods...

19. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

Shortly after arriving at the camp, we rode our horses down the faint path of the trail around the mountain, foolishly leaving all of our weapons behind since our bear hunting licenses were only good for the morrow.

We were almost around the mountain when, suddenly, the horses reared up and stood their ground in alarm. Someone was chaining a dead 2000 pound mule to a tree to use as bait for the legendary grizzlies of this region; but, he was not yet prepared for hunting, either, nor for the bear that had just appeared, standing and roaring to his full height of over nine feet.

The bear wanted the mule, but the luckless would-be hunter was now in the way. I had to admire the cool of the hunter, though, as he stood his ground and pulled out a measly 38 pistol.

Sitting upon our horses, we cursed ourselves, for we had rifles and 357 magnums back at the camp, not that they would deflect the bear’s adrenaline at this close range any more that the 38 pea shooter.

The hunter waved us back, indicating that he would cover our retreat and he soon fired a shot into the ground just in front of the bear as a kind of a hopeless warning. Well, the bear growled all the more and his long claws appeared as he roared, the flesh around them retracting to reveal their full and deadly length. The grizzly took a mighty swipe upon the ground at the spot where the bullet had landed and gouged out a large hole in just one dig. We backed up a bit and so did the hunter, being careful not to move away too fast.

We inched ever on backwards, trying to get clear, although fully realizing that a bear could outrun a horse. When the hunter was far enough away, as well, the bear raced for the mule, ripping it off its chains and digging a hole and burying it in a mater of a few minutes.

Our horses would not go forward, and so we had to go all the way back around the mountain.

20. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I don't care how fast the bear is...as long as I'm faster than you!

21. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

22. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

But not fast enough to dodge a bullet.

23. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

I was out hunting bear with someone once, but I was kind of asleep at the switch when a grizzly came out of nowhere and charged at us, for my rifle was put away and the safety was on.

I began changing from my boots into my tennis shoes, my partner saying “What the heck are you doing that for? You can’t outrun a bear!”

“Well, I only have to outrun you, not the bear!”

However, after the bear ate my friend, he was still very hungry and came after me. Well, stupid me still wasn’t ready and as I tried to get my rifle out I tripped over a log and soon the bear was upon me. I tickled his stomach and what I later realized were his gonzolas. The bear became so happy that it totally relaxed and I was able to walk away unharmed.

I looked back and saw that the bear was waving, saying “Come back, come back…”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.