What time period would you have preferred to live in?

Discussion in 'History' started by Norsefire, Jul 30, 2008.

?

What time period do you wish you lived in?

1. Ancient- pre-Christ

13.6%
  2. Sometime between 1 AD and the Middle Ages

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Middle Ages

9.1%
  4. Renaissance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Between Renaissance and establishment of USA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 19th century

9.1%
  7. First half of 20th century

4.5%
  8. Latter half of 20th century

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. I like it today

31.8%
  10. Other

31.8%
  1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

It's worth it to me.

Why? I feel that in the past societies adhered to morality and tradition. I feel that in the past a man could make a name for himself. I feel that in the past, the focus of man was honor instead of money. I feel that in the past, life was simpler yet more rewarding.

That is why I'd have loved to have served under Saladin or the Lionheart during the Crusades.

The middle ages seemed like an era that fits all of which I have described.

Look at today: all people care about is money, media, and petty bullshit. Nobody cares to be honorable and great anymore. Nobody cares about preserving social morality and furthering social expanse.

I think if we brought King Richard the Lionheart to 2008, he'd be disgusted with what the world has become.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

In the past, A man got beaten coz of his colour. A kid got killed because of it. In the past, Honor and morals was a luxury only the rich and middle class could afford.

Honor and morals don't mean much when they're burning down whole villages of women and children.

I'd live in the future.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Now
    do you understand ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. River Ape Valued Senior Member

Give me the life of the hunter-gatherer before the dawn of agriculture when Man still lived in the Garden of Eden. Humans lived for tens of thousands of years as River Apes, venturing from the river banks to hunt and gather. It is the life to which we are adapted by evolution.

When the tree of knowledge yielded the invention of the plough, the Garden of Eden was destroyed. And God sayeth: "Henceforth, by the sweat of thy brow shalt thou eat bread."

8. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Richard the Lionheart:

• engaged in rebellion against his own father (and, perhaps worse, lost and then begged to save himself),
    • was considered remarkably anti-Semitic (in a age where most Europeans were, it took a lot for people to note, "Wow, this guiy is really anti-Semitic!"),
    • he gave his cousin, the king of Sicily, a gift which he claimed was Excalibur and which he knew full well was not (he himself was more French, than English, but the French wrote a lot of King Arthur stories),
    • his wife had to caution him against engaging in acts like those that caused God to destroy Sodom (you figure out what that meant);
    • he executed thousands of prisoners, mostly because they were a bit of a logistical hassle (and the law of war, even then, forbade killing prisoners of war)....oddly, he took those porisoners away from another noble, only to execute them,
    • sired illegitimate children

A fascinating man, but referred to as "a bad son, a bad husband, a selfish ruler, and a vicious man" for a reason. He's not the pinnacle of virtue to me.

9. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

But he was a strict adeherent to morality.

Ok, if not him, someone else. Constantine.

10. draqon Banned Banned

I always wanted to live in far future were space exploration is a regular thing and humanity does not really have any government, just planets all over galaxy inhabited and uninhabited and many spaceships going back and forth.

I would have worked on a solar station as a repairman, I would repair the solar cells by programming a robot to do it, the solar cells would float for thousand of miles in space and provide electricity for the communication relay system.

And than at times I would fly on my dusty old spaceship down to the planet below were in oceans lay gigantic rusting spaceships...and the metal rods and bent metal post-apocalyptical scene all-over. And I would so much enjoy this scenery.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  11. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

I voted middle ages with one condition: I'm a nobleman and not a peasant

(also, I wouldn't really be able to appreciate that time period unless I came from the current time period)

Even then... I like technology. Hard to say for sure

12. draqon Banned Banned

I think the condition was just the time period you would want to be and not who you chose you wanted to be...

13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Interesting, seems the Muslims here would rather be killing people in medieval times.

Gee, there's a surprise.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Norse is an atheist.

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

No, he isn't. He is lying.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Let me guess. All unpalatable atheists [to you, that is] are liars.

Now you have both Muslim and Norsefire on your side.

17. Kadark Banned Banned

Close. I'd rather be killing people in the early 20th century - not during Medieval times. Besides, what do you mean by "the Muslims here"? Only one Muslim voted.

Kadark the Outstanding

18. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

No I am agnostic

You're right, I am not an atheist. I'm agnostic

19. tim840 Registered Senior Member

1890s. For reasons, see the other thread What Time Period Would You Want To Visit, because that was the one I was first, and I put the same thing. And of course, I love it now. But it would certainly be interesting to go back and spend a few years really experiencing what it was like back then. I would definitely visit New York City, since at that point immigrants were flowing into the country by the thousands, and there would be a ton of them in NYC. It would be interesting to learn from them about their language, their culture, their traditions, etc. And I would want to be in Buffalo for the Pan-American Exposition and the assassination of McKinley, seeing as how McKinley is one my favorite presidents.

20. tim840 Registered Senior Member

Roaring Twenties would be fun too.

21. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

No, you're not. You're a theist.

22. draqon Banned Banned

doesn't anyone else want to live in the future?

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I already do.