What stocks would be a good buy right now?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Algernon, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Algernon Registered Senior Member

Despite this time of recession and home devaluation... I was wondering if now would be a good time to buy a few stocks. If there are any experts on economical issues it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

yeah sure if you want to loose money...just buy gold in my opinion.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

Expert advice costs money...but you can use common sense to find stocks in

Health and MEDICAL ARENA
    Certain Food stocks
    Entertainment
    Survival products
    do-it-yorself products

Anything that will do well as the ship sinks.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

I am guessing investing in guns would be a good idea...as the great depression settles in, more uses for these.

8. kmguru Staff Member

We have plenty of guns, now we need to stock up on ammo.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

MANCHESTER – Panic buying of ammunition has created shortages for bullets and is slowly pushing up wholesale prices for ammo, according to New Hampshire gun dealers.

Some of the shortages have been so severe that it’s been tough for dealers to secure certain types of ammunition. The dealers report that ammunition makers are producing as many bullets as they can — but that hasn’t yet translated to having plenty of stock in stores.

It’s also caused wholesale prices to go up a bit, even though the cost of the raw materials going into the bullets has dropped sharply over the past few months.

The root cause of the problem is based on the same panic buying that has sent firearms sales skyrocketing over the past few months. When it comes to ammunition sales, the gun dealers describe a situation that could come straight out an economics textbook.

Checking online tells the same story- most everything big enough to do the job is out of stock.

http://blogs.ink19.com/truthtopower/archives/6630

10. kmguru Staff Member

Yup. We are not in a panic...So, after these panic buyers are done, which actually help the economy a "tinsy" amount....we will do our shopping. It will be about next year before the bottom falls out....

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Actually all companies that sell ammo MUST produce the ammo for the military first then any left over goes to the public.

12. draqon Banned Banned

hey I have "someone" who owns me money 300$ but cant pay it back, should I settle for a legal arms deal from him (he has a 22)?

13. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Experts don't exist here at Sciforums, and experts also don't exist on Wall Street and don't exist at the Universities and don't exist in the media, and don't exist in the government and don't exist in the corporations. Some people are better wild guessers than other people are.

That being said, I think emerging markets and raw materials could make you money over the next two years. But I am not real sure of myself.

I think Emerging markets and raw materials are long term good picks and they were beaten down much more than the Dow over the last year and a half. Then again they went up a lot against the Dow the previous years. I think they are still bargains now but they were better bargains 2 months ago. If I knew for sure that this recession was near bottom then I would be more confident in my picks. If world unemployment is going to keep increasing and consumption is going to keep falling then my picks are wrong.

If I knew that the recession was going to get worse then I would choose well researched corporate bonds in companies that will not go bankrupt but are not AAA rated. The Bonds should mature in about 2 years (not new issues) because their is a risk of hyper inflation a few years from now.

If I believed that a chaotic great depression was about to break out then Gold would be my choice. I don't like gold being so much more expensive than it's industrial, dental and jewelry value but what else can hold value during chaos? During a depression maybe you should own some rental housing as well as gold If you are wealthy enough to own both. But I don't think this is going to be a Great Depression; that is more likely to happen around 2020.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  14. kmguru Staff Member

22 is worthless. Try 32 (for ladies), 38 special or 45. My son has 45 (Macho man - he is a big guy), Me 38 Sp., my wife 32, and my daughter 9 mm. But we do use 22 for target practice.

15. kmguru Staff Member

I agree

If you look at Billy T's well researched posts, you can say that emerging market stocks are still undervalued. But then you have to see who their clients are. While U.S. is continue to have problems, China will still do weel as they are looking at the emerging markets to produce growth. We are too stupid to understand.

We are practically in a depression and will continue going down till 2012. We may recover starting 2013 and do well in 2014 onward. So, look at long term prospects with intelligent companies.

Gold should be bought to replace cash as the barter currency, not exactly as the investment...Say you want to buy a property, are you going to give the seller so many ounces of Gold? Is he/she going to take it? That is the qustion. If the banks close for six months, then how you are going to exchange gold?

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I don't know anyone who recommends buying stocks now. Obviously some corporations will prosper but it's difficult to predict.

People are keeping their old cars running so corporations like Advance Auto Parts are doing well. People are eating more at home so gourmet cooking tools and ingredients are selling well. People are looking for cheap entertainment so the companies that mail rented DVDs to their homes are making money.

But who knows which companies will be profitable six months from now?

17. kmguru Staff Member

Six months from now we will be in the same worse shape....

18. draqon Banned Banned

are there stocks on cyanide? people might start buying it in large quantities to due away with piling up issues easily...

19. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

That would be the ultimate unethical investment, making money from a surge in suicides. Shame on you draqon!

I can't afford to lose any money (I've lost a lot of it on investments that went bad) so my remaining money will remain in boring old cash,
    But. If I was going to invest in a company at the moment it would be Nintendo. They are bringing out a new version of wii sports this summer with a new controller. They need to get a move on, but I think that sales could surge if it is as good as the original wii sports. Nintendo have a problem in that no-one else can produce games that use the wii controller as well as they do themselves.
    Current price is 195 Euros.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That's not a very good deal for you. Most 22's are very inexpensive so if I were you I'd get the money or something else of greater value.

21. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Traditionally, times when "nobody" recommends buying stocks are the best times to buy stocks. Over the last four months I have gotten back a large chunk of what I lost last fall.

22. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

I don't have a rational reason for my beliefs but I think the financial markets have already bottomed for this round. Again no rational reason but I think next November will be the bottom for US unemployment, this June for non US seasonally adjusted unemployment, and February 2010 the bottom for US housing. I just don't believe this is the beginning of the Great Depression that I have been waiting for since the mid 1990s.

I was expecting a crisis during a realignment of global trading patterns due to a falling dollar caused by a recognition of the unsustainability of US consumption paid for by selling US financial assets to create the onset of the next Great Depression. Until I see a rapid loss of value for the dollar this recession will not look like something that can't be overcome almost as easily as the 1981, 1991 and 2001 recessions.

I don't think the financial leaders in China, Japan and Saudi Arabia are ready to admit that the patterns of the last 30 years can't be continued. Until they are ready to pull the plug and face the consequences it is business as usual.

I think this recession has been beneficial because it could clean up some bad practices the could have made the larger downturn in the future even worse if the crisis all hit at the same time.

23. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Buy platinum or rhodium.

Platinum is pretty low and is a good buy.

Rhodium is probably what i would go with.

3 years ago it was i think in the upper prices of 6,000 dollars to buy PER OUNCE. Now it is around 1,000. And this is the first time in about a decade or so it has been this low. And just 30 years ago it was 300 dollars. This means that the price of rhodium will probably go up significantly in your lifetime, and it has been gaining until this recession which means that it has the possibility to top 6,000 dollars which means you could eventually be getting a 600% return on your money. Rhodium is used in jewelry and car headilights, because it adds an extremely reflective sheen to objects, the inside of your headlights probably has an incredibly thin coating of rhodium in order to improve reflectivity, same thing goes for jewelry.