What stock to buy?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Saint, Feb 1, 2021.

1. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

i dont follow these things because im poor
    but i found this when i googled it
    note its 2018
    thats a HUGE loss

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

from a casual un informed laypersons perspective it looks dodgey
    the fast rate of climb the even faster fall

i wonder if they are gaming the fund for their own personal pockets
    that would explain the behaviour to what one might have expected to be a conservative stock

cashing out all their 3rd party chips & then running to make a net loss to avoid tax then collect their fees
    etc etc etc
    this type of thing was supposed to have been cleaned up by the post 2008 global regulations

im not calling it
    im just making a casual comment about how it looks even though it could be purely natural

5 years - 113% return ?
    i dont think so
    not for a conservative investment fund
    im not saying its fraud or ponsy
    but i would be VERY skeptical in a country where berny madof was a super hero

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

Yep. It's a high risk, high return fund. Also has a fairly high expense ratio.

If you want to make .1% a week, guaranteed, it's not the fund for you. Put it in a savings account.

If you want to make 15% a year over 20 years - it's great.

It's not a conservative investment fund. It's high risk. Again, timid investors, or short-timers, need not apply.

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

You're arguing with data now?

We're in a bull market. The overall markets have done well. QQQ returned about 45% last year. I know, much of my money is in it. I've been in it for 25 years or so. You have to look at averages and you have to consider risk/reward. You also have to consider some choices turn out to be better than others.

You also generally need to have the discipline to leave you money in when it's going down so that you are there when it goes up.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

?
    i am unfamiliar with this term.
    what is american short term ?

my understanding is short term usually expects higher returns than a 5 year term & short term would be less than 2 years or so(expecting a minimum of 20% return Pa short term)
    medium term maybe 5 years
    long term 10 years

property price inflation value sits around an average of 12% & has almost no risk but a high buy in price
    15% per year for high risk is not that great unless your comparing it to countrys like japan
    & dealing in large volumes

it gets soo messy where soo many are looking to scam anything and everything they can
    start up fake high returns based on IPO nonsense and bridging lending on construction ?
    that has probably fallen apart

i wonder how many construction companys have gone bankrupt in the last 2 years

https://fortune.com/2020/06/29/comp...navirus-pandemic-covid-19-economy-industries/

big losses
    #3 frontier communications
    #4 intelstat
    #19 chinos holdings

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  8. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Short-timer is just an expression meaning that someone isn't going to be around for long.

Property appreciation varies greatly by location but it isn't likely to average 15% anywhere. House appreciation in Seattle averages about 6% (for instance) and Seattle is a fast growing market.

I did a quick Google search for Australia and came up with 6% there as well.

9. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Are you saying that society doesn't value what you have to offer? I find that hard to believe.

10. billvon Valued Senior Member

From a capital gains perspective, less than one year.
    For most investment advisers, less than five years.
    Most people are not looking to scam you. The ones that are scams are more newsworthy so they seem more common. A good investment adviser can help you here.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021