What proof do you have we didn't evolve from 2 humans?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by garbonzo, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

So. The Abrahamic God is a liar, a killer, a thief and a rapist. Why shouldn't he manufacture evidence?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river

Cap , now that got a chuckle out of me , big time !!!!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Proof is something that we find in logic and mathematics. I don't think that the word typically applies in biology. What we find there are plausible arguments.

My own impression is that human and pre-human hominid populations were always that, interbreeding populations. In other words, there were almost certainly more than one male and female at each point in our species' history. (Geoff has already discussed that.)

I'm more inclined to think that life in general (on earth anyway) had a single origin. That's because all life presently observed on earth displays a great deal of molecular biological similarity. It's hard for me to imagine that had chemical replicators originated more than once, they would have turned out so similar each time.

(The possibility certainly exists that less efficient chemical replicators were driven into oblivion early in life's history by competition with our form of life. In fact, it might be the case that our highly complex nucleic-acid-based life itself evolved from earlier, simpler and less efficient chemical replicators that no longer exist.)

So when I look out my window at the tree outside, I'm inclined to perceive it as family, as a very distant relative. In other words, it's likely that we both have common ancestors if we go back far enough.

8. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I'm more inclined to suspect that if life could develop once, it could develop thrice or 7 times or 33. It's difficult for me to imagine that chemical replicators originated only once, regardless of how similar they seem.