What ONE song best describes you/your views on life?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by wegs, Aug 3, 2013.

1. CarolinaG. Registered Member

Can you show me what head is - 16 bit

Says it all

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Oh, I like that!
    Reminds me a bit of "trance" music which I enjoy.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Did you ask "16Bit - Can You Show Me What a Headache Is"? I've got one after listening to that.
    OK Wegs you liked it??? I thought the beat was wrong. If it was war or whatever emotion it was portraying, I think the beat should be like you heart beat when the adrenalin is really pumping ... Thump Thump Thump not the broken rhythm.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I like the beat, yes. Raw. Different...not for everyone...
    Not for those who prefer 'vanilla.'

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You can't ask a musician a question and get just one song for an answer. But I'll start with this one:

HOTEL CALIFORNIA by the Eagles.

I lived that song. I grew up in a little shit-hole in Arizona called "Tucson." Today it is more of a city, but in the 1950s it was, almost literally, cowboys and Indians. (And no, I never really grew up, but during the 1950s, the years in my life when most people grew up, that's where I was.)

I managed to escape to attend a university in Los Angeles. I didn't come in on a "dark desert highway," but a "dark desert railroad track." When the train stopped in L.A. and they opened the door, it was like the scene in "The Wizard of Oz" when the world changed from black-and-white to Technicolor.

I stayed in L.A. for 37 years, and every day was still like that: Technicolor. The people, the music scene, the museums, the international restaurants, the dozens of foreign cultures, the beach, the freeways, the La Brea Tar Pits, Sunset Strip, all the friends I made. It was wonderful!

Sure, there were some weird ladies whose "minds were Tiffany-twisted" and who had "mirrors on the ceiling" and "pink champagne on ice" and a monster in the master chamber that they "stabbed at it with their steely knives," and I think I dated most of them. But it was a non-stop, wonderful adventure.

Eventually we moved up to northwestern California, and it's just as wacky there, but in a totally different way. Seems like everybody's an artist, and many of them swear they saw Jerry Garcia in a bar last week. Considering what they're always smoking, maybe they did see him.

I've been working in Washington DC now for 11 years. And I've discovered the truth in that last line:

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

I play that song in my band, and when I'm between bands I sing it at karaoke. It's always popular and a surprising number of people here in Maryland know all the lyrics.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  9. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

10. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

What a cool story; I love it.

You have lived a pretty good life, my friend.

I like the sound of this, Buddha. I like hearing new stuff. (New to me)

Lol you're silly.
    Not quite what I meant but...ok.

I wonder about you, boy.

It's not bad, but his voice is a wee bit "throaty."

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Whiskey and cigarettes will do that to you.

14. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Legally he should be shot. Put out of his misery expeditiously. Morally there can't be any law against that!

This YouTube comment made me smile "crain332 1 year ago
    nice song. mom and dad used to play it at the piano when i was a small boy. i remember the wonderful times we had singing mr. allins wonderful songs after a nice dinner. i miss those days."

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Installment #2:

ME AND BOBBY McGEE by Kris Kristofferson

This has to be the original, not Janis Joplin's gender-bending version. The whole point of the song was to explain why the 1960s had to end. Us guys, we'd still be out there ridin' our motorcycles, gettin' high all the time, sleepin' in crash pads and panhandlin' for food [disclaimer: I didn't do all four of those things personally], except OUR WOMEN GREW UP! Their bodies dragged them kicking and screaming into adulthood.

I had a wonderful girlfriend. But she wanted to have a family and I didn't. We weren't in Salinas (which stinks on certain days because Gilroy, America's Garlic Capital, is upwind from there), but "somewhere near Lawndale (don't try to find it on a map, it's near scenic El Segundo) I let her slip away, lookin' for the home I hope she'll find."

For years I wished that I could "trade all my tomorrows for a single yesterday, holdin' [name redacted]'s body next to mine." But eventually I realized that although I was willing to grow up in many ways, I did not want to be a father because my parents were the worst role models for parenthood in the entire galaxy. Ironically, the lady moved to the Washington area, where I now live, but I've made no attempt to find her. Friends who kept in touch reported that she had gotten married, had a baby, got divorced, and gained 200 pounds!

I still have a job and a home, and I'm still happily childless. (Found a wife whose parents were worse role models than my own.) Although I did give up the motorcycles after having the same identical accident twice.

But that song still haunts me because it puts me back in touch with my feelings in 1971. I sill miss "the Sixties," that mis-named twelve-year period that began with the first Beatles hit in 1963 and ended with our withdrawal from Vietnam in 1975.

And I still hate Janis Joplin for making her idiotic, pointless, gender-bent monstrosity the standard version of the song. How many times in all of human history has a WOMAN let a MAN get away because HE wanted to settle down and SHE didn't????? It simply doesn't make sense.

16. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

Hotel California--Interpretation

I've asked this before but no one seems to know. What was the sociopolitical statement? Given that "steely knives", was a playful nod to Dan Steely, was "spirit" a play on the Spirit band, who were offered the spot right before Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock but turned it down?

17. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Dayum...that's a lot of drinkin and smokin goin' on!
    How do you he was miserable? Lol
    Music is a window into the soul, as they say. It provides an outlet for many frustrations of life.
    This singer seems raw and real while there are some throaty singers who sing obscenities for shock value. This dude doesn't seem that way. Plus, doubtful spidergoat would be listening to songs sung by "posers."

Bolded for emphasis, by me.
    I hope you're kidding.
    Please, please tell me you are kidding?

18. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

[video=youtube;A9mwCfy1tPY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9mwCfy1tPY&feature=share&list=FLLY5A4LTBhKYfVF_jypF0xA[/video]

19. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Yes Fraggle, Please tell us you are kidding!

20. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

I like the sound, Bebes. You can see his name in the video. Do you think that he suffered from a Schizoid personality disorder?

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I've been repeating that remark for 35 years and you two are the first people of either gender to question it. Women just roll their eyes and say, "Yes indeed. It's always the damn MAN who doesn't want the commitment. Janis was a spoiled loser who opted out of life itself by overdosing. She knew nothing about life or relationships. Kris never went on record to bitch about her ruining his song, because it made him rich."

Sure, there are a lot of immature, clueless men who suggest setting up housekeeping as a tactic for getting sex reliably, or maybe even a cook and housekeeper to replace the mother who kicked them out. No sensible woman is going to accept that. But that's not what the song is about. It's about the more typical man who doesn't want to settle down, but still wants to hang onto a really nice lady.

Notice how the song says, "I'd trade all my tomorrows for a single yesterday." He's not offering to move into the future and become more mature. He just doesn't want the past to end.

Women's bodies drag them into maturity, whether you want it or not. Perhaps with today's more reliable contraceptive technologies it's easier for a woman to defer growing up than it was in 1969. I'd say half the women of my generation, whom I know well enough to talk about it with, had abortions. It leaves a permanent scar.

Maybe this is just one of those cultural things that doesn't resonate anymore.

22. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

“For some reason, I thought of La Strada, this Fellini film, and a scene where Anthony Quinn is going around on this motorcycle and Giulietta Masina is the feeble-minded girl with him, playing the trombone. He got to the point where he couldn’t put up with her anymore and left her by the side of the road while she was sleeping. Later in the film, he sees this woman hanging out the wash and singing the melody that the girl used to play on the trombone. He asks, ‘Where did you hear that song?’ And she tells him it was this little girl who had showed up in town and nobody knew where she was from, and later she died. That night, Quinn goes to a bar and gets in a fight. He’s drunk and ends up howling at the stars on the beach. To me, that was the feeling at the end of ‘Bobby McGee.’ The two-edged sword that freedom is. He was free when he left the girl, but it destroyed him. That’s where the line ‘Freedom’s just another name for nothing left to lose’ came from."~ Kris Kristofferson

http://performingsongwriter.com/kris-kristofferson-bobby-mcgee/

What I got from it was the male tendency to justify their entitlement to freedom, chance sexual encounters, and coarse manners, instead of acknowledging their own need for and lack of intimacy.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  23. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Thank you. Yes, or worse.