What kind of supplements do you take and how often?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by kira, Oct 10, 2011.

1. kira Valued Senior Member

Thank you for the article, Anti-Flag!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

That is one creepy article, I made a question and then the next day the BBC posted the answer :-O

Thanks to all of you for sharing. I guess I won't take any supplements, I fear the unknown impact.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

kira

Taking supplements if they are the right supplements for you can be good for your over all health and well being. The big question is how do you determine what the right supplements for you are. I would hazard a guess that 90% of all supplements sold are not needed by the people buying them, but it is big business and advertizing is tailored to maximize profits which means selling you supplements you don't need.

If you are a fast food junky, you probably need some supplements. If you don't get out in the sun on a regular basis, you probably need vitamin D3 supplements. The current recommendation is 5000 IU/day. Some vitamins don't stay in your system long and need to be replenished daily. Vitamin C, E, and some of the B's. Most doctors recommend daily supplements of Omega-3 and Co-enzyme Q-10.

Other than that it's hard to know exactly what you might need. I would think if you try something for a month and can't tell if you are getting any benefit, maybe your not.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

If you don't want to get a cold...irrigate your sinuses.
    I have chronic sinus disease. Since I started irrigating my sinuses? I have only gotten what was probably a case of the swine flu...maybe.
    I do admit it's hard to tell; the sinus disease is rather like having a permanent low-level cold when more active.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

I use Iodised salt and I did take a foliate supplement for a few months because my blood test came back that I was deficient but I just started eating breakfast cereal designed for women and it was fine.

My partner was taking Elivet until she miscarried. Apart from that we don't do the vitamins thing

8. elte Valued Senior Member

I take half a multivitamin without iron (Centrum Silver) each day. I think it is better to let the body work a little to conserve nutrients as well as being primed to seek out and capture what it needs. So, I wish to minimize any one nutrient.

My diet isn't very varied because a lot of things aren't plentiful enough, which makes them costly, and because most things aren't very convenient for me in one way or another. The half a pill supplies some B-12 and other things at a minimal level.

During the cold indoor season, I also take a low-dose aspirin every other day. The salicylic acid hopefully takes the place of related natural compounds in the greens (mostly collard) I normally enjoy a lot of.

9. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

An interesting and clever means of addressing the wide range of micro-nutrient needs in the suggestion of a diet that may be lacking by reason of lack of availability and seasonal cost.

Centrum is generally considered to be a fairly good product and by cutting them in half, you also manage your costs of the supplement. We sell it at the store and I know that it is not inexpensive. I hope you manage to catch it when it goes on sale occasionally.

Vitamin B12 is one that is very important for neurological and cognitive function and a deficiency can creep up over time. I was once caring for a horse for a client that was diagnosed with B12 deficiency. After several months of injected B12 and a much improved diet, he was a completely changed animal, bright-eyed, energetic and glossy of coat.

While I have heard of the use of low-dose aspirin for a number of other reasons, the replacement of related natural compounds in the greens is not a use that I have come across before.

10. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Supplements are also big business for pets. For most pet solutions of vitamins are usually made to be added to water.

Next, why not take vitamins every other day rather than cut pills in half for daily doses? As Elte said one of his reasons was to make the body work a bit for the nutrients. But I'm not sure I know what that really means.

I would think the ideal way to extend life would be to supply every body cell with the exact nutrients it needs exactly when it needs it. I don't know if that could ever be done, but maybe we could do better than we do now.

Besides, wasting money what's the downside of taking supplements you don't really need?

11. kwhilborn Banned Banned

Taking vitamins daily is just "producing very expensive urine" - Quote from Big Bang Theory

Baby aspirin. Magnesium (not enough in our plant soil generally), one a days' about once a week.

Aspirin thins your blood and helps blood flow a lot, and should best be taken at night.

Magnesium - there are books about the benefits, and if taken after heart attacks and
    strokes helps recover times immensely and can prevent further damages.

Those are the staples. I have probably 100 others that I will consume if my diet is lacking in certain areas. Anything from garlic to ginko to ginseng, but none of them are ever daily.

Forget Dieting as well. Make sure your weight does not go up , and eventually your weight will go down. make sure your calorie intake is less than output. So don't worry about trying to lose weight, just worry about not gaining.

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

I cant find the resurch currently but from memory there was evidence AGAINST the use of aspirin for the prevention of CVD and CVA in people WITHOUT a history of ischemic heart disease or AF

13. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Magnesium for...uh...normal female problems. It goes some way to preventing smooth muscle spasm.

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

also prevents cramping apparently (that's what mum suggested when PB was waking up in the middle of the night screaming with massive leg cramps)

Edit to add, though I can't think what "normal female problems" have to do with smooth muscles, we both have the same smooth muscles (blood vessels and digestive tract)

15. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

hint:
    keeps you regular, especially if you are a female taking calcium supplements.

16. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

That seems like a fact that not many men would know about, and maybe not many women. How did you happen to come by it?

17. kwhilborn Banned Banned

@ Asguard
    I know they now say it doesnt benefit unless at night, and was recently promoted on dr. oz. again.

I do take baby aspirins. Could the article have been against full aspirin?

Okay I looking around here and found an article on it
    http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/03March/Pages/Daily-aspirin.aspx

The baby aspirin in this study were 100mg, and the ones I take are 81mg. I will probably look at taking them every second day now as a precaution. I am mildly overweight with a family history of heart disease, but no known heart problems.

Thanks.

@ Stonephi and killjoyklown,
    What supplement are you talking about in the last few posts. I got to get me some of those.

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

from your article

ie, unless you are in an out risk group its at best a waste of money

19. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I thought they recommended more potassium for leg cramps? Usually when you stretch in your sleep, there is a tendency to point your toes down, this causes the calf mussel to shorten, which can make any cramp get a lot worse very fast. If you feel a cramp coming on pull your toes back to stretch out the calf mussel and prevent more cramping or if cramping has already started it will help you limit the damage.

20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

you might be right but magnesium tablets state they are for cramping and mum recommends them because they stopped her getting cramps.

As for the rest she gets them in her sleep, bit hard to control your actions

21. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

That was magnesium. Women who take calcium supplements might be taking more than they need and to much calcium can cause smooth mussel contractions or spasms sometimes called cramps and the magnesium helps correct that problem.

22. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yes but you can train yourself by always pulling your toes back ASAP when waking up in pain. I know because I did it. After some time it becomes more automatic and you start doing it before you fully wake in pain. But why does she need to stretch so much? Is she doing some kind of work that cause leg fatigue?

23. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure if this is scientific but having greater flexibility helped me with cramps. I did yoga (well...P90X yoga, but close enough) and I stopped getting cramps after sporting events (I use to cramp up when I get home after playing hard) and track (every single race after I get home, no exceptions).