What is your problem with America?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by radicand, May 19, 2006.

1. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Oniw: "When did I choose to be part of that social contract?"

Each day you choose to live with other human beings you choose this. Consistently break the basic contract, and people will inevitably lock you up or kill you in the attempt- in any country. Anywhere.

"Now tell me, if a government serves no purpose..."

All governments serve a purpose, serve various purposes. That is why they arise whenever a significant number of people have interaction. Absent government, Willie would likely not be the only neighbor you know to have had his life and future stolen from him. For a simple explanation of the purpose of government, you could do worse than reading a little Rousseau.

"...if a government serves no purpose, and I am forced to obey it, is it not oppression?"

You can perceive it this way if you want, but it will make your life very difficult. Unless you can contribute more profound thoughts than the greatest minds of the ages, it may be seen as a silly and senseless life. Similarly, you can live your life in repudiation of the laws of Physics- You can resent gravity if you like. Go ahead and detest the concept of equal and opposite reaction. Rage against thermodynamics. You have the free choice do deny all these popular conventions... but because of your foolishness, you will be treated as a fool.

There has never been a world where you can wave and shoot your gun to create a paradise for yourself. We have a powerful myth in America about strait-shootin' cowboys who won the West, but our actual history is not at all like a cheap Western movie. Most Europeans on the American Frontier didn't have guns, and among those who did possess such commodities before mass-production, not many knew how to use or maintain them well. I've lived in war, where nearly everyone of every demeanor has ready access to lethal gadgets like AK47s, M-16s, and endless ammo. It isn't a pleasant way to live. That's why conditions of war and anarchy do not last (because they suck), and rational humans always get back to the necessary task of rebuilding our imperfect families, and rebuilding the imperfect families of man we call government.

-- John Donne

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. broadandbeaver 'Now I am become Death Registered Senior Member

I don't know - I thought that you might understand that 7/4/76 meant July 4, 1776. I'll spell it out for ya next time ok tuff guy? :bugeye:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

If discriminated against, for example in appliction for a job or membership in a swimming club, etc I assume you just whip out your "good gun" and blast away - right?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Your POV is insane! Get help.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Your assumptions and drastic way of reading into things is insane! Get help.

- N

8. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

If my reading is even slightly wrong, please tell me how I should read:

"if there's anything that I can't protect myself from with my damn good gun, then nobody else can protect me from it either."

I mentioned two things, very common discriminations and serious injustices, that guns are useless to prevent and yet laws do rather well at curbing. What is your interpretaion of his sick POV?

9. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Pretty simple as to what he said. If there's nothing he can't protect himself from a gun, then nobody can protect him either. I don't see what he's saying as he's gonna point a gun into anyone's face who disagrees with him as you magnified that 10x. I see it as simple protection, usually from a physical or other similar dangerous threat, not over something petty.

- N

10. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

So the ability to get a job (and hence food, shelter and medicine) is "petty?"

11. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Wow, you guys must suck at reading comprehension.

Let's wait for that other guy to respond to see if he meant what you guys are thinking on the extreme side of the spectrum. I mean, hey, doesn't everyone mean what you guys are thinking when if you want a job done right, you gotta do it yourself?

- N

12. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Look, I support the right to bear arms. Not because I own a gun myself, but because the credible threat of popular resistance a prerequisite for legitimate (and hence functional) government. Self-reliance and willingness to question authority are admirable attributes, all the more so because they contribute to an accountable, limited government. But this does not obviate the need for some form of government. As Billy T's example illustrates, the only rights one enjoys in an anarchist system are those one is willing to die for. With a government, on the other hand, the sacrifices of the few ensure the rights of multitides. As hypewaders has already pointed out, history has decisively favored government over anarchy.

13. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Where does that guy talk about or support anarchy? You guys are reading way too much into his simple statement.

- N

14. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

The only thing curbed by laws are the honest people, and the only thing that the law dose is punish the offender after he has commited the crime and has been caught and tried, remember the reason they are called criminals is that they don't obey the law in the first place.

15. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Ugh.. ick.. yuck.. ack.. shudder.. I'm agreeing with Buffalo Roam!

- N

16. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

If discriminated against, I doubt that I would be told that's why I didn't get a job. If I was told, it probably wouldn't bother me at all, because I have an understanding of human nature and am pretty passive. If there was really no way that I could survive independently because of discriminations(which I doubt), I would just steal the food, or find food. This is in the said anarchic society. I do not believe that the oblitoration of governemnets is wise, or even possible, but I do know that western governments are flawed. Shouldn't you be willing to die for any of your rights? If not then will you except bondage? That is a "sick" idea of life.

17. radicand Registered Senior Member

So then, how do you reconcile that western govs are flawed with the idea that we should be willing to die for our rights?