What is your nationality?

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Joeman, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Lets see,

I can't really put the quantities of what into this, because I truly don't know. I know how ever that one of my Grandparents was an Austrian Immigrant, who when they arrived here in the UK could speak no English.

Of course they now speak English, but they have been totally de-attached from their family and only occasional see their sister who is still in Austria or their brother (I think is still alive) of fled to the US.

There was some mention of Romany too, but I'm not sure the connection.

My Great Great Grandfather was a Travelling Carpet Salesman from Ireland, who eventually settled down after dropping an O' out of the name.
    (That means I have a dosing of Celt from at least two locations, Eastern Europe and Western UK).

On the other side, Gold prospectors that use to haunt Cornwall, England, until they moved to the gold rush in the US.

Somewhere on that side of the family I'm suppose to be related to someone that had their head cut off for not bearing a male child. I'll just let you guess on that one.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I believe I'm half a russian-jew with some irish thrown in for flavor

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

One of my wacky stories is that the great great uncle on the jewish side of the family (my pappy's) was one of the better friends of the last Tsar, Nicholas II, he was a jewler, and ratted out the rest of the family for being jewish, forcing them to flee across this whole crazy adventure through Russia and Europe. There, a generation later, my great grandmother, Gertrude Berg, became a fast radio star and later early tv star. Look her up on google, I'm sure you'll find something.

Then of course there's me, and I will be known soon for my masterful works of fiction in a few years

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

I'm Swiss-German (Amsler-Huber) on my mother's side. My grandmother was fluent in German. My mother's grandfather made bathtub gin. I remember seeing a recipe for gin in one of his journals when I was a kid (for some reason I remember that he used "rock candy" in it). My 18 year-old maternal grandmother met my grandfather when he came over to her father's house to buy some hootch during prohibition. He came back that evening and left with my grandmother. It wasn't at all what you'd call a long courtship. He had served with the St. Louis police force until he "accidently" shot and killed a kid who'd stolen a car. After he was booted off the force, he drove a truck carrying hootch between Chicago and St.Louis for the various bootleggers. He was caught holding up a jewelry store in the late 30's and spent a number of years in the "big house." I always remember him telling me that when I was old enough, he and I were going to South America to dig for Inca treasure. He died of alchoholism.

A good deal less is known about my father's family origins (I presume they were a mongrel breed arising from the British Isles), though a great deal is known about various individuals. My paternal grandfather was a "character" who chased Pancho Villa with the US Cavalry. He had a horse named "Star" and as a kid he told me some wild stories. There wasn't much fight left in the old guy at that point. A story? Alright, I'll tell ya one:

One day he and his buddy were riding together along some rough terrain when his friend's horse stumbled. His buddy was caught under the horse and impaled with his own saddlehorn as the horse struggled to get back up. My grandfather said he went crazy the night his friend died, and shot-up a Mexican bar. They threw him in the stockade (a recurring theme with my family) and busted him from corporal back to private. He was only sprung when his outfit was transferred along with the original "Rainbow Division" to fight in France during WW1. He was wounded in the trenches and spent the rest of his life as an alchoholic with this disability. He also died as a result of his alchohoism (a second recurring theme). I've a great photograph of him in his "doughboy" uniform. He certainly had a surly look about him though.

My father's cousin was Virginia Hill. She was the girlfriend of the gangster known as Bugsy Seigel (the guy who had both eyes shot out). I found a photo of her at:
    http://www.crimelibrary.com/gangsters/bugsy/bugsyvegas.htm

My mother thinks I most resemble the character of her grandmother; a quiet and devout German woman who loved her garden only slightly less than her Catholic God. She died of tuburculosis while working in her garden. Well, I do love my garden as well, but devout? Perhaps my mom thinks my atheism is a passing fancy. Surprisingly, I have no alchoholic tendencies. My alchohol intake is limited to two or three glasses a beer per year. Even more surprisingly, I've never had even as much as a speeding ticket. Thus ends the bloodline of a great dynasty of petty gangsters and thugs.

Yesterday, I read in Jonathan Mark's book, What It Means to Be 98 Percent Chimpanzee : Apes, People, and Their Genes, that I share 25% of my genes with dandelions. No doubt, this has some bearing on my character as well

Michael

Last edited: Jun 4, 2002
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Versatile?

Bebelina:

I don't know, versatile? The great fortune of not wearing a beard is that I generally don't set my face on fire when I'm really, really stoned. As an interesting process to observe: when I was introduced to larger glass pipes (e.g. bubblers, which I call fisters partially as a descriptive term and partially as a joke about bathrooms that one person in the world might get), it bugged me why I hadn't seen these things until I was almost twenty-five. I had a wood pipe, a ceramic pipe, a glass pipe, and a glass bong. But I'd never seen one of these things. Not even in a movie. It took me a while to figure out. I knew a lot of hippie, career stoners, but why now, I wondered. And then it hit me: beards. None of my friends wore beards. When I was in college, I smoked crappy metal bolt-pipes and plastic column-bongs; there was even a brand name that was the hippest to get°. But I dated a fresh-scrubbed country girl who thought it cool to smoke pot, and none of my friends ever wore beards beyond the stylish (?!) return to the goatee in the early 90s.

And I think about it ... it would be two and a half years after dropping out of college before I started hanging out with bearded pot smokers. It's a statistical trend that I cannot explain. The friend of mine who was most disposed to wearing a beard didn't smoke, and beyond my exceptionally limited circle of trusted and beardless pot-smoking friends, everyone else was doing crank.

And then I started hanging with a certain crowd more predisposed to Grateful Dead and Phish culture, and so forth, and the glass pipes just started getting larger and larger. The bongs got better and better, and then the bubblers made their appearance in my life in the form of this thing that looked like Gamilon Leader Desslok's pistol.

At first I figured it was some abstract pride or fascination with these inconvenient devices (they're hard to hide in a car). And then it hit me.

Beard, two inch pipe. Beard, six inch bubbler. Beard, two-foot, double-chambered bong. Okay, I get it.

They were setting their faces on fire

With no facial hair, I can smoke any device or utensil placed in front of me. With a proper beard ... I can't whip a two-inch glass pipe out of my pocket on the streets and have a quick hit; it's hard to smuggle six-inch pipes into concerts or hide them while everyone's smoking and drinking in the lot before the show ....

Thus my answer: a stoner without a beard is versatile.

Oh, and about the length of this digression ... yeah. I know. But that's how absolutely hilarious that line was for me, Bebelina ... it's literally a joke that has played out in my life now for ten years, and something which, though I had never stopped to think about it until you mentioned it, obviously had occurred to me somewhere since this little meander down Nostalgia Lane just fell out like the baby in the opening scenes of Monty Python's Meaning of Life.
    And it's also a very conscious effort on my part to duck this most valuable, heroic, and romantic of sentiments. It is what I aspire to; the closer I get to where I imagine I should be, however, I drift farther and farther away from what seems to be at the center of my present cultural reality.

Someday I will have a f--king lot to say about that, but I have the feeling that once I get that out, it will be enough material to ask someone to buy

Maybe it will be the story that saves me.

thanx much,
    Tiassa

Notes

° Hippest brand of bong: I must withhold the name of this firm, as their water-pipes are intended for the lawful consumption of tobacco, and any application outside that use reflects a personal choice of the user and may violate several laws. It should also be noted, however, that the mere possession of a bong (and even a water-pipe in its legally-designated usage) constitutes a federal felony in the United States.

8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the pic's, Tiassa. They answered an ongoing question. As for the lack of facial hair...eh, so you never need worry about shaving.

My heritage? Hmm...Native American and European. There's also a red head somewhere in the tree--when I let my beard grow, it's salted with red hairs.

9. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Well, I'm glad I could be at aid of the birth of that (bearded)baby.
    I will have to tell my bearded stoner friends of the advantages of being beardless.

You know what, I think you have many books to sell from just printing out all your post in here, seriously.

"the closer I get to where I imagine I should be, however, I drift farther and farther away from what seems to be at the center of my present cultural reality. "
    That was very interesting. Something like...you can never escape from your past, your destiny. But then, where do you imagine you should be, if not in the present?

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately

Unfortunately, I do need to shave. It's not that the hair doesn't grow in. It's that it grows in terribly; there are a couple of weak spots that make my beard look like either mange or camouflage. Next time I'm around a camera after I haven't shaved for about a week, I'll get a picture of it. If it's good enough resolution, you'll be able to see the spiders' legs ....

thanx,
    Tiassa

11. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

My dad was Polish and my mother was born in the Ukraine. They both came from very large families but lost touch with family members during WWII. I probably have relatives all over the world that I don't know about. My parents migrated to Australia after surviving the war, along with many other immigrants. I was born and bred in Australia a few years later.

For anyone who's intersted there's a website (I haven't checked it out yet but if you're interested, give it a go) that apparently helps finding family members lost in the holocaust.
    The info that was sent to me in a newsletter is set out below.
    Cheers everyone
    Teri

This is a wonderful site, dedicated to finding relatives and survivors of the Holocaust. You can post if you are a survivor so that family can find you, or you can search for family you may have lost due to the Holocaust.
    There are pictures to look through, you can search by name and use their world chat to get in touch with lost loved ones. This is also a great site if you are doing research on the Holocaust.
    Use the flash intro
    http://holocaustnames.com/intro.html
    -or- skip flash intro
    http://holocaustnames.com/index_us.html

12. Lesion42 Deranged Hermit Registered Senior Member

Hmm. Nice autobiography.

I'm mostly french, english and irish. Less of the last one though. I'm pretty boring genetics-wise.

13. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

There are some new users. Can I give it a bump?

14. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

Errr..Hawaiian, you little lucky prick!!!

Consider yourself special, it's very very rare to have some Hawaiian blood in you and pure Hawaiian's are almost extinct

Btw...Hawaiian/Japanese women are HoT!!!

15. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: What is your nationality?

There are a lot of celebrities or sports figures who are Hawaiian or partially Hawaiian.

Al Noga, Junior Seau, Keanu Reeves, that big running back in Pittsburg (Ma'afahla?), that big quarterback in Washington state(can't remember his name). There are a lot of them but can't remember them all.

Note: I have to edit out some comment to avoid pointless controversies.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2002
  16. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

lets see...
    mostly, i am english, dutch, norweigen, german. my mother's grandmother was full norwiegen (am i spelling that right?), and my mother really looks the part. i know there is some indian on my fathers side, but i dont know how much, or anything else about it. My faily has been raised in or near detroit for many generations on my fathers side (while my mothers side continues to travel with ump-teen kids in a hippy van saving the animals and shunning those who watch television, for that is how the devils finds you, across colorado, texas, michigan, and everywhere in between. ) although my grandmother beleives she is part cat, i dont consider that in my nationalities..

but in the end -stands up like on the commercial- "I'm an American."

17. Kenshin Guest

I am Chinese.

18. Shadowstrife911 Hail the Shredder! Registered Senior Member

I am 1/2 Italian and 1/2 Portuguese, I lived in the Azores for much of my life and recently moved to Canada. My Grandfather fought in the Italian army in WW2 and my Great Grandfather fought for the Italian army in WW1. I dunno about my Portuguese ancestors, but I expect way, way back that they were Pirates

19. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

1/2 Italiano 1/2 Scottish.
    i might have to do italian national service if they still have it in a couple of years.

dreading it.

20. Seeker01 Guest

I am from Mars.

21. DarkEyedBeauty Pirate. Registered Senior Member

I'm such a mutt it isn't funny.

I'm English, German, Polish, Native American....those are the 4 most major. And then I'm also Irish and Mongolian...haha! Yeah...I really look mostly Polish English and Native American though. I get a lot of people asking if I'm Asian. Nope, not really.

22. Salty Registered Senior Member

German, French, Native American, Irish/English

My brother looks alot more native american then I do.

23. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I am 1/2 sexy and 1/5 slutty and the rest i can't tell...i think maybe skanky but who knows......

Indian...not Native American Indian but the Hindu kind like the people in India...*strikes a pose*