What Is Your Favorite Kind of Architecture?

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by TruthSeeker, Apr 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Several projects are under way but are still at the conceptual stage, I think. Here's one of the biggest:

http://www.trecers.net/concept.html

And here's an interesting article:
    Imagine that: Europe going cap in hand to Africa begging "Please Sir - can I have some more?" Heh heh.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

lol. im reading the links now. thanks. oliver twist style.

peace.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

Gothic Architecture;

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Now, look at that and tell me you don't want to start humming the theme tune from 'The Omen'!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. peta9 Registered Senior Member

I love contemporary architecture. Clean, beautiful lines, refreshinglooking and functional. I love a combination of bamboo, stone, marble, glass and steel. The whole world should be populated with them. Let's lobotomize all the people who want to ugly towns and cities with their oldworld track homes. Let's get trekkie.

8. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

all of the new buildings lack a certain quality. i dont know how to put it to be honest, but all of the new buildings seem to be "dead inside" like they have no soul.

peace.

9. peta9 Registered Senior Member

10. peta9 Registered Senior Member

They have a soul, a higher vibrational, clean and new one. Get in line to be lobotomized in my world as architect god.

Joking aside, it's not the building but the people in them that create the atmosphere or soul of any area.

11. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

lol that far right building looks like a block of crap. an ugly square block of ungraceful junk.

peace.

12. peta9 Registered Senior Member

I wouldn't say it's ugly but simple. It's not uglier than the very ugly buildings you see everday. As a matter of fact, in all *honesty* I think it looks damn better. I used that example to highlight the fact I like the look of steel.

13. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

14. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i can appreciate steel, i think a hand forged sword is beautiful, i respect your personal opinion and taste, but i just think that big building looks like a lump of ugly shit lol.

i just dont see the same beauty in new buildings, i think they are rushed and without love. they just dont compare to the quality and artistic style of old buildings.

peace.

15. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

16. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

I few pics of Badshahi Masjid in Lahore, Pakistan built by the Mughal ruler Sultan Aurangzab Alamgir

17. Facial Valued Senior Member

The traditional buildings are great. Modern buildings are not as daring - they need to be somewhat Western to be acceptable. Even small compromises - such as the Taipei 101's modelling upon the pagoda - was criticized by many. Although I still definitely like it.

18. ntgr Registered Senior Member

I like Bauhaus and Antonio Gaudi is amazing as well

19. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Bauhaus is stunning. Gropius & co did some brilliant work.
    Some of Gaudi's stuff is also fantastic, some of it over-rated.

20. ntgr Registered Senior Member

Really? What it is that you consider overrated? I have a book about him with the buildings and many of his architectural ornaments (metal and others) and I find him to be really creative and full of imagination. His aesthetics really appeal to me. And even though I am not an architect, the engineering part of the buildings doesn't look easy either.

21. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

IIRC it was (particularly) Santiago de Compostela. But it's many years since I studied architecture, I think there were a couple of others.
    The Guggenheim though nearly offsets that

Some of the interior design I found offensive (from an engineering/ architectural perspective that is...)

22. ntgr Registered Senior Member

By santiago de compostela you mean the cathedral? I don't think it was by Gaudi. Anyways, I have to admit that in most of his works there's too much, well, stuff! But everything is subjective when it comes to taste.

What did you mean about Guggenheim? My English is not very good and there are comments I just don't get! I should start asking more

23. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

I had been informed that some of the interior was by him. Could be wrong... too many years, too many beers

My mistake - I was thinking of the Guggenheim at Bilbao and it was Gehry's design, not Gaudi's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.