What is wrong with the moderators?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by MetaKron, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

They interfere with freedom of speech. They close threads and delete messages concerning abuse of moderator powers. Some of them use their powers to push a feminist/sexist agenda. When you object they close threads, get rude, delete messages, and ban people.

Plazma also interfered with an attempt to actually use this discussion area as if this were an open government discussion area (big joke I guess) and threatened me.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

nothing is wrong with moderators, they are moderating this "freedom" everyone wishes to have

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

They're taking away a lot of freedom that I think we have a right to expect. And I think that we should be allowed to talk about it in the appropriate discussion area.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I have no problems with the moderators..
    If you break the rules, accept the consequences... like in real life.

8. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I don't think that the moderators follow any sane set of rules.

9. draqon Banned Banned

sanity is subjective to individual, just as morality of their actions.

10. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

That pretty much sums it up.

11. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Forum Rules

Well, I finally found a statement of the rules, and they say that the moderators have the final say, no arguments will be entered into, blah blah blah. The problem is that several of the moderators have the habit of picking fights and then using their moderator powers against people who protest the way that they act. In the fights that they have been in the last few days, the moderators have been banning people who haven't actually broken any forum rules. I have also seen moderator behavior like personal attacks, unnecessary threats, name-calling, false accusations of being off-topic, false reporting of non-existent violations of the forum rules. These are against the forum rules.

There is only one definition of "Interfering with Moderation." Starting a thread protesting the moderator's actions is not included in that definition.

12. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Moderators should be held to a higher standard. Lacking that, some kind of standards should be adhered to.

13. draqon Banned Banned

To understand of what is wrong with moderators, lets first sum up on what is not wrong with the moderators. To know what they are we must know what they are not.

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Maybe the mods are sick of people who whinge about how ALL women are scummy little freeloaders.

15. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Did you read the rules and find out that there is no rule against sexist comments?

The actual statement that more than one person tried to make was that women have the right to contribute to household expenses according to their capabilities, and that some of us do have the problem of living with women who won't. There was and still is no call to delete a thread about that. Certain moderators are attempting some kind of coup or something.

In any case, I call for the moderators to show more tolerance and more integrity than they have been showing lately.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  16. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Maybe there's no rule against it, but posts like that are just filling up the forum with crap.

And if that's the kind of statement that those people are trying to make, they should complain about that specific type of women that do that, not have a go at everyone who has 2 X-chromosomes and a vagina.

17. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

A lot of times the moderator simply makes things worse and doesn't act like a moderator, but like a combatant who has a bigger stick. There is a difference between moderating a conversation and making it turn out the way you want by abusing your powers.

18. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Considering the moderators are not being paid but are rather performing on their spare time, I think the standards they uphold at present are rather commendable.

Some of the best online communities I have seen were at technology companies I worked for. They had moderators (whom were full-time paid professional psychologists) and leaders (full-time subject matter experts whom were full-time paid technologists whom worked hard to not only discuss subject matter but to demonstrate how to discuss it 'within the rules'). The bill for that type of environment is over a million a year.

To achive that ^^^^^^^^ big money and full-time employees are needed. Are you going to foot the bill?

19. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Where have any of the mods actually done that?

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What about people that have an X and a Y chromosome and a vagina.. ? It happens...
    Lets not discriminate here..

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's not against forum rules for a moderator to use various techniques to bring out the intent and character of a poster, particularly a new one.

22. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Haha, yeah.

Some people have only one X and a vagina...some have 3...

and some have 2 Xs and a penis.

23. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I AGREE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.