What is this shit?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Dr Lou Natic, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creeptology Registered Member

I think only offensive posting and severe disruptive posts should be modded. I have seen this system work elsewhere and agree that no mods can be harmful as happened with a community I belonged to 10 years ago, was all fine for over 2 years when suddenly it got shut down due to having zero mod policy and 2 arguments went too far over the period of 3 weeks. This was very very hateful posts and there should have been a system to nip it in the bud but simply getting offended over a mild insult that is deserved when it's easy to ignore is stupid. Many times I have read posts here and on other boards and want to tell particular posters that they are a grade A idiot for some tripe only to get modded for stating the obvious.

I have had plenty of comments thrown my way and I really couldn't care for petty ones, it's nothing. Full on hate is understandable to get upset over, the board I spoke of before was a comp forum and ended up with posts filled with hard to dismiss hatred (things like I hope you and your f**king kids die in a house fire, or I hope your mum and sisters get raped repeatedly you [insert random horrible word]). It got so low many people left and then it was shut down. Mods jobs are to stop this kind of offensive posting, if I reported someone for saying I was a retard then I expect the mods would tell me to lighten up.

The second purpose is moving things to a more appropriate place, like a thread about chemistry in the biology section gets moved to chemistry to benefit the thread and maintain some order so boards are not an eclectic mix of good posts.

Which leads to the final to remove disruptive posts. This is the most liberal area IMO and is only needed when crap mounts up so as to obscure the good content. It's not about removing all the posts you don't like or agonising over slight off topic remarks. Just a relaxed tidying up if needed. Much like it's nice to keep your house clean but you don't develop OCD and go nuts over a spec of dust. Some of the threads or posts seemed to be harmless to me.

The main thing throughout is someone using their position to do something other than what I see they are needed for and that is ridicule people or act out of line. I think your deceptivness in that thread was out of line and the fact you wont admit it is disturbing. I would say fair enough if you put your hands up and said yeah sorry that might (yeah just might) have been a mistake but instead you use invalid reasons to back it up. This is just my opinion and maybe I am wrong. If I am I am sorry I really am. I have seen many mods with similar behaviour pattern who go too far in the end and it might be wrong of me to base my perception of your mod activities on them (or it might be quite perceptive and well grounded, we'll see).

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So clearly deleting posts is a sign of bias and deleting them and keeping them visible is a sign of bias. Thats very helpful. Biology is not Free Thoughts, it is not Cesspool. I work in science and I know what is considered acceptable. The standards I apply here are far below what would be considered acceptable in ANY hard science forum. If you don't believe me, try it.

I have said several times that these are MY standards for Biology and S&S. If anyone feels those forums should be run in a different way, they are free to petition the admin for the desired changes.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Creeptology Registered Member

well subjective method is scientific now?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

When you're setting low standards they are subjective. If I moderated Biology like I critique papers, 99% of the posts would disappear

9. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again- none of the posts in question were worthy of deletion.
    Therefore, this-
    is a lie, that is not what happened.

If you want to talk shit and stick up for your fellow piece of crap, at least try to defend the behaviour which took place.
    That is SAM slapped a bunch of people's inoffensive posts together in a fake thread, locked it and put it on display, belittling and dehumanising the people involved for her own perverse gratification.

Give up on the "she was kind enough to not delete" angle, it turns out we weren't dumb enough to fall for that, so try something else. Maybe even something that isn't incredibly insulting. A radical idea I know.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The posts were deleted for being off topic, flaming, baiting or plain brain damaging verbal diarrhoea. Yours were deleted for flaming.

^^ this according to me is flaming. You may disagree.

11. Gustav Banned Banned

ahh
    straight A posts or none at all, eh?

what are your qualifications again?

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Straight A posts? You're kidding right?

13. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

"I fear none of you are taking this seriously..." is flaming?

14. Gustav Banned Banned

lookee here maggots

the thread in question is no longer around
    it is thus obvious sam made a bad call

lets move on, ja?

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No thats baiting. But if it had not worked I would not have deleted it

16. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

This-
    In response to this -
    Hardly constitutes flaming, that's like saying "don't murder gay negroes, jerk" to Jeffrey Dahmer. So, you would punish someone for saying that and let JD carry on?
    Like I said, you shouldn't be a mod. You should not have any power and you shouldn't be expected to make decisions when you are quite clearly mentally infirm.

17. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

It was me calling for sanity. You show that my calls went unheeded, how is that my fault? I should still be applauded for trying to keep the thread on track.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

In my opinion, anyone can think one skin tone is more interesting than another. Thats addressing the topic. However, calling some one a fucking racist is flaming.

19. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

mmmmm breakfast. Aside from tantelizing cuisine, does this thread have an objective point?

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

21. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Good luck

22. Bells Staff Member

Let me see if I get this straight. You're complaining because in not deleting your posts, you end up looking dumb or being made a joke of? Right. So why did you post them in the first place?

Would you have preferred if your posts were simply deleted or removed? Or would that also garner complaints from you? The thread in question is not a fake thread. It is a dumping ground for the idiotic posts people happen to make on those two forums.

It is astounding how you failed to complain about that thread until now. It has been there for a while now. Or is it because some of your rantings have been moved there that now warrant a complaint from you? So why haven't spoken out about this supposed atrocity in the forum world until now? There is no "behaviour" that has taken place. Nor is that thread designed to be used as a form of ridicule. What it happens to be is a dumping ground for moronic and idiotic posts that throw threads off topic and/or derail them. If your posts ended up there, that's your problem, not the problem of any moderator that happened to have moved them there.

Has she belittled you in that closed thread? Yes? No? Having glanced through it, the answer to that is a no. Had she replied to those dumped posts and then kept it locked, then, just then, you might have cause for complaint. But she has not. She has simply cleaned out the trash.

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Dr Lou:

Several of your posts in this thread have also required deletion.

Please do not insult other members of sciforums.

Thankyou.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.