What is this shit?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Dr Lou Natic, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

The posts were deleted purely because they fit nicely into SAM's "hilarious" conceptual piece she entitled "graffiti".
    Me replying to "I think coloured skin types are way better than pathetic gross pale ones" with "that's racist..." get's deleted while the original comment stands. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If you feel there are more posts that should be deleted, use the report button. I tend to err on the side of caution and frequently leave posts if I feel they may generate discussion. But if anyone feels more posts should have been deleted, they should let me know. If anyone feels I am being too lax, also they should let me know. I can be stricter and to the letter if necessary.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Stop pretending you randomly placed deleted posts into a thread for our benefit. You deleted posts so that you could strategically place them into a thread for your own amusement, we're not stupid, it was really obvious. None of the posts in graffiti would have been deleted normally.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Creeptology Registered Member

I think the most transparent thing is the dubious motivation for putting the threads together in that way. Now if it was a section titled appropriately with explanation that the posts there are in no particular order and links to where they came from that would be in keeping with the reasons you say you made this thread.

I think you should either not try and defend your reasons, or admit it might have been a mistake to arrange them that way. Saying you did it to prove your fair moderation doesn't wash with me, it is a deceptive thread and your reasons are not in keeping.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm so now you are reading my mind? All the posts I deleted were those I normally would have deleted. If you disagree with their deletion, please report it to Plazma along with examples of posts which should have been deleted and weren't. I'll wait for his report and follow through from there. Thanks. The Graffiti thread is no longer visible to posters, only to admins and myself

9. Creeptology Registered Member

Don't try and change the real issue. The issue is you creating a deceptive thread and trying to defend your reasons. And like plasma would care about what people think (especially since I have only been around 5 minutes) since these issues seem unresolved for some time it seems.

I have been a member of many places over the years and the only ones were this happens is when there is good cause and other mods are unwilling to rectify it (sometimes because they simply don't care or it's the best make do option).

10. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

The deletion of the posts isn't the issue for me, it's the fact that the posts were taken out of context, posted in an offhand manner to look like a string of inane, stupid posts, posted as a form of entertainment for others to point and laugh at and then locked so those involved couldn't explain that their posts were out of context, or portrayed as something they weren't.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Actually creating the Graffiti thread had several positive benefits

Instead of deleting 10 posts a day, I was deleting 10 posts a week, ie spam went down dramatically

Second, all the people who used to complain about their posts being unfairly deleted disappeared

Third, I started receiving thank you messages from members who saw the posts that had been deleted (including those whose posts had been deleted!)

In short, it made my work easier and members were able to see for themselves how little was the actual moderation done.

I am not really concerned with assumptions made by people regarding my motivations. Mind reading is not my specialty.

As far as I am concerned, the Graffiti thread was a useful archive of posts that indicated the type of posts that were deleted (which included my own) and was useful for people to check if their posts had been deleted, since I am not going to write individual messages for 10 posts a day.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  12. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I've noticed, I'd even say you border on retarded when it comes to reading between the lines. And I can't think of a more vital attribute for a moderator to posess than the ability to read between the lines, to genuinely understand what people are saying with their posts. If you don't understand the posts you have no business being the judge and jury on whether or not they belong in a thread.

You and asguard both delete posts you can't comprehend, there is nothing more infuriating, and it's absurdly reckless of sciforums to put this power in the hands of simpletons.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Like I said, please report to the admin that your posts were unfairly deleted. I am sure you will trust admin judgement regarding your posts at least. If they disagree with me, they can return the posts to the appropriate thread.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  14. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

They won't disagree with you, and you know it, that's why you have the audacity to pull off outrageous stunts like this.
    You're all as thick as thieves, look at bells come in here and shamelessly defend your terrible behaviour, you could stab a child in the heart and all the mods and admins would find some ridiculous way to justify it.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Clearly none of us are qualified to judge the content of your posts.

16. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

That's true actually, if we could arrange some kind of deal where none of you ever touch my posts that would be great.

Anyway, most of the other mods and admins wouldn't have done what you did, but now you've done it they'll say it was a perfectly reasonable thing to do. And that goes for anything you ever could do, go ahead and try it out.

However, if you and asguard weren't mods the other mods wouldn't be so stretched to make out like such flagrantly unacceptable behaviour is acceptable. They wouldn't take the retarded initiatives you feel compelled to take, so it would be less irritating, even if still technically unjust. It wouldn't be so in our face all the time that we are being screwed.

17. John99 Banned Banned

It is not necessarily their fault. This behaviour is exhibited in many instances where commonality of purpose is perceived as being tantamount to doing what is right. It is fostered further with the inclusion of their own forum where they will strengthen their 'we\them' mentality. What happens to an individual, in this case moderator, chose to go against the grain? labelled as an outcast or outsider.

In the case of this forum there is no malicious intent but what we see is somewhat normal.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Dr Lou:

Hmm if you stop flaming posters and write your posts so that they attack content instead of members, I will be more than willing to let you roam free. Perhaps you could accomodate both of us by utilising your caustic style in a way that you need not sacrifice style and I do not have to moderate you to accomodate site rules. As several people have pointed out, it is unfair to moderate some members for flaming and let others loose.

Do you find it ironic, as I do, that you expect me to accommodate your initiatives while you are berating mine? Why is it that those who expect others to read between the lines are uncomfortable with anything out of the mean?

19. John99 Banned Banned

There is a fine line though. In this way our perception of the individual is either a carbon copy or a malcontent and it is much easier to be a copy of the group than a malcontent, even if grievances are accurate and justified.

20. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

S.A.M., excuse me to ask, but with all the complaints and derogatory comments
    addressed to you, why do you continue to be the mod? What is the benefit in it?
    Why do you want to waste your time for nothing? In return to spending time and
    effort, people freely call you simpleton, c*nts, and whatever else, whereas you
    can't call them back the same way because your position requires you to heavily
    censor your words. What makes you keep doing it? Doing something for nothing is
    an insanity.

As for the topic in hand, I think your initiative to move posts instead of just deleting
    posts is good (for transparancy purpose), because sometimes this is necessary to
    prevent the derailment of topic. However, perhaps you should add a bit of explanation
    into the moved posts, e.g. link from where it was moved, which consecutive post
    number, and why (to maintain the context). That is a lot of works and again I wonder
    why would you willing to do that, nobody appreciate your effort :shrug:

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I do it while I can, eventually I too will leave and someone with different ideas about moderation will take over. Nothing lasts forever, not even dealing with my idiosyncracies.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Gustav Banned Banned

hotel sciforums, babe

23. Bells Staff Member

What's to defend? She created a thread and it is used for the sole purpose of a garbage dump for all of the off-topic posts that clutter up and derail the threads in her forums. If she simply deleted them all, as the rest of us seem to do, you would be screaming about her abusing her powers and denying you the right to say what you think is right to say.

It is a closed thread, used as a Cesspool for Biology and Science and Society. This way, if you are insulting or start posting off-topic posts in those forums, you know they'll simply be moved to a veritable garbage dump instead of being deleted.

Tell me, why are you complaining about this? You complain when your posts or threads are deleted. But now you're complaining that they haven't been deleted? Is this you picking at stuff because you're bored?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.