What is the worst act of the Iranian government towards another nation?

Discussion in 'History' started by S.A.M., Nov 30, 2010.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You're talking in generalities again. Whether I approve of a particular foreign policy decision by a particular government depends on the particular circumstances and factors surrounding that particular decision. I do not give blanket support to any government. For you, perhaps things are simpler. Perhaps you support every action Iran (or India?) takes. But I deal with things on a case-by-case basis.

As for feeling safe, I feel very safe in Australia. I consider myself extremely fortunate to live in a peaceful country which has many freedoms and other attractions. I know I will not be persecuted here for my religious beliefs, whatever they may be. I know that I will not be imprisoned for political reasons, even if I publically speak out against the government.

And yes, I'd like the Iran people to have the same freedoms I have.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So what, in your opinion, as a liberated Aussie enjoying many freedoms and supporting peacekeeping military interventions by Australia in unoccupied Iraq and Afghanistan presumably extending those freedoms you enjoy to the Iraqis and Afghans, is the worst act of the Iranian government towards another nation?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I already answered that question. There may be a worse one, but the Iran-Iraq war, which went on for 8 years, resulted in the deaths of about half a million people. That rates pretty high on my bad list, SAM.

I'm not an expert on Iranian history, so I'd have to go looking to find worse acts. I'm just mentioning one of the ones I can recall off the top of my head.

Do you have any other examples you think are worse? That's the thread topic, isn't it?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I've described the Argentinian bombing already. There's the funding of Hezbollah also, of course.

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

There's also the supplying of IEDs to insurgents in Iraq and Afganistan, now that I think about it. That's pretty bad, don't you think, SAM?

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think your statement is sufficient. In your opinion the worst act of the Iranian government towards another nation was the Iran-Iraq war following the chemical attack on Iraqis and Iranians by Iraq. In this war Iran was on the offensive for the last 6 years of the 8 years of war during which the Iranians violently resisted the Iraqi invasion of Iran, resulting in the death of half a million people.

I agree with you. What should Iran have done different on that occasion?
    Where do Australians get the weapons they use in Iraq and Afghanistan? When they peacefully kill the unoccupied insurgents in their own country, including random children who act as human shields for these terrorists, where do their weapons supplies come from? Do Australians supply any of these peacekeeping weapons to their unoccupied supporters in these liberated states?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Well, one thing Iran might have done differently was not to hype up its boy soldiers with promises of religious martyrdom, such that they would volunteer to run into Iraqi minefields and die.

Also, Iran might have avoided some of the bloodshed had it not tried to take various major (well-defended) Iraqi cities. It could have stuck to defending its own territory, for example.

I'm not sure. I think they buy a lot of them from the US. The US does guns well. They have lots of them.

Australia has never randomly killed children in Iraq or Afganistan. What are you talking about? If insurgents are using children as human shields, that seems immoral, don't you think? Maybe you ought to speak out against such behaviour.

Yes. Australia is currently involved, for example, in training the Afgan army and working with it to fight against terrorist groups such as Al Qaeda and the Taliban.

11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I won't hold my breath on any such statement.

Let the people decide! So long as they decide on more religion as their salve. Why, it'll keep their societies from dying, don't you know.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How did it hype them up?
    How much of Iraqi territory did Iran occupy? Was it more or less than the US currently occupies? Are there Iranian military bases in Iraq for example, like the 50 or so installed by the Americans?

Is it right for the US to supply weapons to Australians in Iraq? Or in Afghanistan? I recall that Australia was a British colony, did they also fight the Irish insurgents and the Arab insurgents for the British?

Are the insurgents using their children as human shields? What do you think of the Australian peace keeping missions in Iraq [in the Gulf War, in Operation Iraqi Freedom] and in Afghanistan? Do you consider it justified? Do you support such missions? Do you think such interventions should be taken up by other countries like Iran?

Is this something that you would like to see Iran emulate? After all, they enjoy a long history and a border with Afghanistan. What is your opinion of Iranians supplying weapons and training to Afghans who want to defend their country?

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

SAM:

Well, they were told that they were on a holy crusade for the god of Islam, Allah. They were led to believe that if they died in the war they would go to paradise to be with God. Some of them were so excited by that prospect that they volunteered to run into minefields, apparently heedless of their own safety.

Iran wasn't very successful in the war. Iraqi defences were quite good and the organisation of the Iranian forces was not as good as it could have been, apparently. Neither Iraq not Iran gained any territory to speak of during the 8 year conflict, as I understand it.

The US military operation in Iraq was much more effective in opposing Saddam's army, which had already been weakened in the Kuwait conflict.

Well, I think Australian soldiers need to be able to defend themselves against attacks by Al Qaeda, insurgents and so on. Sticks just won't do the job. And Australia presumably pays good money for the weapons.

Where abouts? Which conflicts are you referring to? Can't you look it up yourself?

Some may be. I would hope that most would not. Sometimes people do strange things. Hiding soldiers among the civilian population is a common insurgent tactic, though. The civilians never come out of such situations very well.

The (first) Gulf War was a response to Saddam's invasion of Kuwait. The response to that was, I think, measured and justified and defensible under principles of international law. Operation Iraqi Freedom - which one was that? - was not, I don't think, a peacekeeping mission.

In general, yes, I do support peacekeeping missions. For another example, Australia was instrumental in leading an international peacekeeping operation in East Timor following its separation from Indonesia. I am proud that Australia was involved in that.

Do I think Iran should be involved in similar peacekeeping? Yes I do.

I'm all for it.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Is that really true? Do you have a source to this?

So basically, the reason so many people died is due to military weakness. Would you suggest that Iran upgrade its weapons systems so as to decrease the number of deaths in future interventions?

But there were no al Qaeda insurgents in Iraq before the US invasion, so who did the Australians intend to fight when they got there?

I looked it up, apparently Australia was where Irish insurgents were transported by the British. So clearly the Irish insurgents who fought the British were penalised by being sent to Australia. Interesting. Perhaps expatriation is a better response to insurgency than killing.

So were the children shot by the Australians used as body shields? If yes, what is your opinion of soldiers shooting at human shields who happen to be children. If not, what is your opinion of Australians shooting children in a country which they are not occupying but haven't been invited to?
    So the US invasion of Iraq in response to the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait was justified, but Iranians supplying weapons to Iraqis under US unoccupation is not justified. What is the difference between the two?

And yet Australia itself occupies Aboriginal lands and does not intend to offer a referendum to Aboriginals who would like to separate. Isn't that hypocritical of them?

Is it acceptable if they support the side which is in opposition to western hegemony in their lands? I mean is an Afghan an "insurgent" if he opposes western hegemony but a "patriot" if he supports it? How would you decide which Afghan should be allowed to defend his country from foreign invasion?

15. Bells Staff Member

How many Aboriginals have you met or spoken to at length in your lifetime Sam?

Which Aboriginals want to separate? Can you name them?

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

SAM:

Yes. Try reading the wikipedia page you quoted earlier. In full. But maybe wikipedia is written by lying Americans.

No. The reason so many people died was that there was a war that went on for 8 years. You asked why Iran didn't establish bases and take Iraqi cities in the Iran-Iraq war, not why so many people died. One question at a time, please!

A small force of special operations soldiers was sent by Australia to support our US allies in fighting Saddam Hussein's army.

Which insurgents? When? Sorry, you'll have to remind me how this is relevant to the topic of the thread. In general, I must say your grasp of Australian history has never been great, as far as I can tell.

From what I can remember, the children were in a room with an insurgent who was firing at Australian soldiers. The soldiers said they did not know the children were there. They fired through a wall, unsighted, to return fire. I don't know if the children were being used as body shields or not.

What else did you find out about this incident when you read up on the official investigation etc.?

As a general, non-specific thing, I imagine it would put any soldier in a very difficult position if he was being shot at by a person using a child as a shield. What would you do in such a situation, do you think?

Australians are in Afganistan at the invitation of the Afgan government.

As a general principle, I am against the shooting of children under any circumstances, as I believe I clearly stated earlier (twice!). Once again you appear to be asking the same questions several times. I suggest you read back and familiarise yourself with the thread before continuing.

In the case of Kuwait, the US acted to help defend Kuwait against an act of aggression by Saddam Hussein. Self defence is sanctioned under international law, and Kuwait requested the assistance of the US. When Iran supplies improvised explosive devices to terrorist groups such as Al Qaeda with the express aim of destabilising a neighbouring country, that is not justifiable under international law. That's the difference, SAM.

Australia has a Native Title Act which gives Aboriginal people ownership of traditional lands. I'm not sure who you think is "occupying" whom. There is also no general call for an Aboriginal nation separate from the rest of Australia. Nobody is asking for such a referendum.

Where are you getting your information from?

What western hegemony? Iraq and Afganistan are both independent nations with their own national governments. No other nation is occupying them.

Or are you talking about things like Coca Cola daring to sell its wares in Iraq?

What is this "western hegemony" that you claim exists in Afganistan?

All of them are allowed. Self defence is allowed under international law.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No I don't know the individual aboriginals who want to separate, however, I am aware of the failure of separatist movements in Australia.

Perhaps they needed Indonesia to come and lend a hand? Or is it "one nation" for Australians but liberation for East Timor?

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

SAM:

Why don't you read the entire article rather than extracting random parts of it that you imagine support your argument? You're woefully lacking in context at this point. And when you take things out of context you end up getting things badly wrong.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well considering that Australians have never recognised the Aboriginals as a nation and have only recently started recognising them as people, its an obvious conclusion that they have never considered giving them their own country - after all, as you pointed out, they barely constitute 2% of the population and are largely irrelevant as contributors to mainstream Australian society. I find it amazing that Australians will travel halfway across the world to liberate Iraqis and Afghans and valiantly aid East Timor in being separated from Indonesia when the conditions of their own aboriginals be it healh, socioeconomic status or quality of life shows how much they are in need of liberation.

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

SAM:

Australian Aboriginal people are equal in every respect under the law of the land to every other Australian citizen. Moreover, their "own country" is recognised wherever they can establish a legitimate claim to it, as provided by legislation specifically enacted for the purpose. They are not oppressed, so they do not need liberating.

There is a very great need for improvement of services of all types in remote locations in Australia, where there are many Aboriginal communities - and that includes things like education and health. Aboriginal communities also have a number of specific problems that need to be addressed, including violence, problems with alcohol, chronic unemployment, lack of consistent education. But it is patronising in the extreme to suggest that it is up to other people to solve these problems for the Aboriginal population. What is actually needed is cooperation between the indigenous and non-indigenous peoples. Handouts definitely do not help solve the problems.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its not what I would call a definitive source.

So Irans mistake was in prolonging the war after Saddam Hussein had surrendered or withdrawn.

What do you think of the American role in this war? Was their role a stabilising influence in the war?

Yes its difficult to remember that when its westerners defending themselves, they are not insurgents. I believe the Irish insurgents were called convicts by the British.

e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Rebellion_of_1798

Relevance to the thread? The importance of nomenclature in foreign policy decisions.
    What I found out is that its within the "rules of engagement" for NATO troops to open fire in the homes of Iraqis and Afghans whom they are not occupying. However, should the Iraqis and Afghans attack the bases of said NATO troops, it is terrorism.

I'd seriously reconsider my career options. If I had to shoot the child to defend myself, I'd definitely opt for a change in career, considering that not occupying people in their countries would require me to repeat the process of shooting them en famille in their homes.
    Thats a surprise to me. So much so that I've started a new thread on it.
    I guess I am trying to reconcile a civil rights movement where peacekeeping requires troops to burst into other peoples homes and shoot them.

Ah. I see. So the US invasion was a stabilising influence on Iraq. Thats a fresh outlook at any rate.

Well the non-occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan by the NATO "peacekeeping" force. But since its all for their own good, once they accept that it requires them to maintain foreign military bases for their own "protection", I suppose its all fine. Everyone needs a foreign military base in their country to remind them of their independence.

Except for insurgents and terrorists of course. Because its not illegal for an Australian soldier to break down the door of an Afghan "insurgent" and shoot him, is it?

I don't think having your own country should be considered a handout. There is something incredibly patronising about an immigrant community offering the natives their own way of life as charity. The situation is not different for indigenous tribes in India so I recognise the limitations of these approaches. I just thought it amusing that westernised Australians who have taken over indigenous society in Australia are travelling outside to liberate the masses. Its especially interesting when we talk about how Iranians treat their own people. Australians have a much poorer record than Iranians who historically have always supported refugees and immigrants from all other societies. I find the whole western attitude towards Asians and ME to be extremely holier than thou considering their continuous legacy of war and violence worldwide.

But back on topic

Irans worst acts as a nation towards other nations.

1. Their offensive in the last six years of the eight year Iran-Iraq war

2. ?

22. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Sorry for commenting out of turn but: unlikely at best.

Which Sam effortlessly translates to the definition of suppressing insurgency by a gang of religious retards.

Hunker down behind her shield, of course.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And ultimately, that's what this is all about, in a way.

What is it, specifically, that you desire as the replacement of the nation-state in Afghanistan? The Taliban, a radical Islamic clique of right-wing reactionaries? Well, that certainly sounds like a boon. I'm certain I'd want my fate decided by the likes of Pat Robertson, but with RPGs and the predilection to use them to further his ideology. You've mentioned "liberation" as a contrast element here - so you feel that the replacement of the Afghan government (ill-performing as it is) by the Taliban would be an improvement? On what grounds could this possibly be so?

So why did you cite it?

:shrug:

Well, you do seem to be pressing the 'peaceful option' here.

Well, they are in no uniform, hide among the civilian population in part at least to produce civilian casualties in the event of prosecution, and target the civilian population very deliberately. Their body count of innocent Afganis is limited only by their ability to cause destruction, which is presumably not so great owing to their numbers and resources.

(This latter point can sometimes be confusing: on some days, it is painstakingly and authoritatively explained that these extremists can only be a tiny proportion of the population, and on others that they comprise a popular nationalist uprising representing the prolitariat. It's often difficult to reconcile these two perspectives, so don't feel upset if they don't always jive to you, either, Sam.)

En famille as in being held up for incoming fire? Quelle famille! But I think you realize one of those objectives of terrorism as explained above. In fairness, I might well choose a different career also. Then again, the question is more is this a job worth doing? The answer would seem to be yes.

Or drive car bombs into lines of people voting, or beheading teachers and "collaborators" working for the betterment of the Afghan people.

My herring for yours, madam.

Er, it would have been, had certain parties of your philosophy decided otherwise. Two to tango, you know. Or actually only one in this case.

It's at least as legal as an insurgent breaking down the door of an Afghan teacher and shoot her for daring to have women students. And quite a bit more morally guided, don't you think? That's at least two levels to the better.

Except in Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Afghanistan, Morocco and several other nations bound by some common legal thread. If only we knew what it was!

Of course!

Well.

Except for people not remarkably like themselves, or worse, gay. See, your example is kind of apples and oranges when you stop to think how Iran has treated their own people who differ from the 'perfect' ethnoreligious or gender definition. Sort of a trite point you're trying to make here, not so?

Let me know if you need me to explain these concepts in further detail.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Perhaps I desire to see less of the "replacement state" by all those westerners carrying the white mans burden. Consider Iran, circa 1905 or even Afghanistan a mere 50-60 years ago

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

before the cold war of the resplendently free societies of the extra secular world of freedom loving peacekeeping troops.

Perhaps I prefer that instead of using people as pawns in their "Great Games" and offering handouts of democracy to those backward tribes they are saddled with when they don't occupy them, they stop to consider the possibility of offering the freedom of choice, not by having armed strangers burst into their homes with machine guns to direct their choices but by allowing them to find their own way, even if it takes them some time. As someone from a society slowly recovering from such a burden of charitable independence, let me tell you, self determination cannot be handed out.

Its the choice I would like to see for Iran, as also for the rest of the ME and most definitely for those indigenous Australians whose stable sustainable society of more than 40,000 years was stripped from them leaving them with the option to "integrate" or disappear.