What is the relationship between Knowledge and Energy?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Captain Kremmen, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

What is the relationship between Knowledge and Energy?
    I've been thinking about this over the past week or so, and have just about formulated the question.
    Obviously knowledge cannot affect entropy, but sometimes due to knowledge, more or less energy is used.
    I'll leave it there. I think it's an interesting question.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

catalyst. information is the leakage that connects the 2 . So I would rephrase it as thought instead of knowledge or better yet Information .

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Energy contains information . Information dictates what the energy is .

That sounds right to me . Does everything have a vibration code ? A signature so to speak ? It still amazes Me how you can sent a signal on airwaves and it reproduces the same sound light years away . That blows my mind . Something we take for granted in our every day lives .

I think about the string with a cup at each end and how the sound spoken in one cup is transmitted down that string and comes out the other cup as a complete replica of the original sound . So I would say energy is an information holder and allows information to be transmitted from one thing to the other .

See that is the thing that I can't get past is how the heat from the sun travels to the earth. Is it hot in space ? or does it only become hot when the energy strikes an object ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Energy is a catylyst for knowledge, but knowledge does to repay the favor, therefore knowledge is not worth the effort.

8. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

it is worth it bro . Be prepared . You ever here that ? You never know when your number to preform will be called up. Be prepared . Your knowledge is a sight to see bro . You have not been permabanned yet so well walk on water brother our as we say in the north " You skate on thin ice . Be careful you might not be able to walk on it if it gets to thin

9. kx000 Valued Senior Member

When the ice cracks I fly away. Then all the fishys who dont believe they can swim drown. And all the flutering fishies who don't believe they can fly fry when the lake is set a fire. And I take all my good little fishies who learned to fly north north north.

We will never have the knowledge to produce a everlasting energy with no human upkeep, there for using energy to obtain knowledge is not worth the effort.

10. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

Well knowledge is reconstituted memory, which means that you use a whole bunch of memories, mix them together, and store them. So let's just call knowledge memory for simplicity.

So the relationship is memory storing energy.

The term for Memory can be broken up again to be simply called a hole.

So the relationship is energy stored in a hole.

Energy can be broken up into pressure.

So the relationship is pressure stored in a hole, or a hole that can release a particle by relieving the pressure. It used to be called bump up, bump down.

This idea was lost with the Aether theory being lost, and it was never used for the brain, it was used for general physics.

11. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Memory stores only waisted energy.

12. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Well, there's a singular piece of bullshit "reasoning".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. river

energy comes first then knowledge

14. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Energy contains information?
    Not sure. It certainly requires energy to be made.

But Information contains energy. Definitely not.

Say All the posts that were ever posted on sciforums (and some of them have information, undeniably), were wiped overnight with no copies existing.
    No energy would be regained or lost.

15. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

There are lower levels of knowledge than memory.
    And no less valid.
    We share our DNA with bananas remember.

DNA is knowledge of how to survive and pass on knowledge.
    Knowledge need not always exist within a thinking brain.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  16. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

Well it should be stored the way I said just the same anyway. I was going to write a computer simulation of mitosis, and it was going to be based on the release of pressure from holes. It would have worked, but I lost interest in it.

17. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

No knowledge first.
    Use a little knowledge to use your energy to gain more knowledge. By that stage you are tired, take a rest . Regain energy use your knowledge to make some money. Take a holiday. And repeat the process till Entropy takes you down. But knowledge will remain.
    Use your energy wisely.

18. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Is that why I am so fat around my waist!

19. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Bag it up and sell it; you'll become a millionaire.

20. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Are you implying instinct is DNA based knowledge ( a chicken hatches in an incubator, it has certain instincts. Were they in the genetic code?)

21. wellwisher Banned Banned

Knowledge can allow one to lower entropy. If you didn't know how to do something, but needed to get it done, you may need to use trial and error to figure out a way to do the task. There will be entropy in all the trial and error. As you learn a way to do it, you then learn to become more efficient. This efficiency reflects a drop of entropy. Finally, we have a set of knowledge of how to do it quickly the next time. The next time the total entropy is very low.

Relative to energy, such low entropy or efficient knowledge lowers the amount of energy one needs to expend to perform the task. In the above case, the lack of knowledge and the trial and error, uses a lot of energy compared to the direct approach created by knowledge. The best knowledge is the most efficient, reflecting the lowest level of entropy and the least amount of energy expended.

In modern times, the information age is increasing knowledge, but this type of knowledge is not necessarily lowering entropy. This type of knowledge appears to more connected to the higher entropy trial and error stage (data generation), but not to the final optimized result stage, which minimize entropy. I suppose the high level of entropy, by requiring more energy, is providing jobs. But the next step is to lower the entropy of this information into efficient, compact knowledge.

There is another consideration relative to knowledge, energy and entropy. This is connected to emotional thinking, which is a form of high entropy knowledge that uses a lot of energy.

To help explain this; we can all relate to eating something that tastes good to us. This might be a juicy steak, cheese cake or an apple. The taste good feeling and sensation is universal to all of us, however the variety of foods that can create this feeling are very diverse and often different for each person. That one feeling can popcorn into endless variations, with each person having a subjective preference for food knowledge they use to induce that one feeling.

That one pleasurable emotion, shared by a hundred people can result in one hundred food choices, which they may not all be able to agree since it is all subjective. This subjective knowledge is high entropy and high energy.

If you learned all that knowledge, of all the best foods for pleasure, from one hundred people, most of it would do you little good in terms of your efficiency and energy expenditure toward the goal. Most of this data would be at the level of your own trial and error, but inefficient to yours final knowledge. This would be included in the information age, but it is high entropy information this is more diamond in the rough stage, instead of polished diamond information.

22. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Yeah Captain . The question is can we comprehend all the information carried in energy. We can measure the potential I believe . I have often wondered about information coming from the sun and what encoded information is contained in the light that we are not aware of . How does a life changing event occur in human endeavor. Why did ideas of the same nature creep up independent of each other . Is it in the water or is it in the alien space invasion of sun light ?
    What causes advancement ? You think it is just a smart fuckers being ingenious ? Did they have to climb a ladder of information first ? Can you see the chain of events in that climbing of the ladder . Looks a lot like light when you think about it . Why do we say " The light bulb came on when someone gets a bright idea ? Sun shine , Let the sunshine in

23. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Shannon might describe information in terms of entropy, having no consequence on knowledge, excepting that I drew this trivial fact from that pitiful well some would call knowledge.

It took energy to draw the brackish thing from the well, they say. I say give me back every bit of it.

I would argue that knowledge is as much a demonstration of entropy as anything else. A venus fly trap comes to mind. Make the neurons sticky, and eventually something will fall in and I will surely digest it.