What is the most cost effective way to increase protein in diet?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by borrofburi, Aug 20, 2009.

1. borrofburi Registered Member

Lately I've been exercising more and harder than I have in the past. This means my muscles need more protein (since it's the building block for muscle mass). Unfortunately I am not terribly wealthy, and therefore can not afford purchasing large amounts of lean meat. So I was curious as to whether or not anyone happened to have any insight into cost effective methods in which to increase protein intake, especially complete proteins or any proteins not naturally synthesized in the human body.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

To find out how much protein you need [in gms] multiply your weight in lbs with one of the following:

o Sedentary adult 0.4
    o Active adult 0.4-0.6
    o Growing athlete 0.6-0.9
    o Adult building muscle mass 0.6-0.9

You'll discover you don't need as much protein as you think you do

Meats contain about 7 gms an ounce. Lentils and beans about 14 gms a cup, cooked

Bread, cereal about 4 gms per 50 gms. Eggs, about 7 gms each. Milk 8 gms a cup [8 ounces]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

Best way to add protein without eating a lot of food is to buy protein powder. That is what my kids did when they were in weight lifting team in college.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

8. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Enmos' answer is rather good, though I would do some research on which insects to eat. You might get neurotoxins with your protein.

My more conservative, less creative answer, would be

BEANS!

Soy and Mung have pretty high protein levels and they can be bought pretty cheap.

9. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Soy is a good source of protein but it's also been implicated with increasing one's estrogen levels, which can have unsatisfactory effects for someone who wants to be strong, powerful and not to mention, strong.

One cheap method I used to ingest more protein for the purposes of building mass is making protein shakes. I'd take a 1.5 cups of milk (around 15g), a cup of oats (26g), scoop of whey (25g) and tablespoon of peanut butter (7g) a teaspoon of creatine (none), and whatever else I could think to throw in there.

They're cheap, have a ton of Calories and protein and you can slide them down the hatch quickly. Also, monounsaturated fats, like those found in peanut butter help the body create testosterone, which is good for building muscle.

10. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

A lot of neurotoxins are proteins!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Well, then following the thread question to the letter, insects are probably very cost effective. And touche.

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

peanutbutter sandwich??? Seems cost effective to me.

13. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

not much protein, cheap though, and how many can you really eat?

14. thinking Banned Banned

but many amino acids

does peanut butter have

15. thinking Banned Banned

actually its surprising how little protein intake it takes to get results

when I was working out I was consuming about a third of the protein that others were

but I was after strength rather than size of the muscle

16. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

If we could answer the OP, that would help solving the malnutrition problem around the world.

17. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Eh?

Anyway, whey protein. Usually no more than $1 for 30 grams when you buy enough in bulk.

18. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

Tell this to people who can not make £1 a day...

19. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Just because someone can't afford it doesn't mean it isn't the most cost effective source.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If we're talking additives then SMP [skim milk powder] or protein powder [as kmguru said] is easiest

21. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

But it also has to be the right combination of proteins in the right proportions.

How is this to be ensured?

22. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Why does it have to be the right combination of proteins?

23. Slysoon Registered Senior Member

In the process of converting milk into cheese (called "curdling"), there is a liquid byproduct called whey. From this whey, proteins are extracted and become what is known as whey protein, which is popularly used as a protein supplement amongst body builders and athletes. Whey protein is, by far, the most cost effective way to increase protein in the diet. However, there exist a few issues you should take note of:

• Because whey protein is isolated from whey, it contains lactose - the natural sugar found in dairy products. As such, you may wish to avoid whey protein if you are lactose intolerant, as your body will be unable to metabolize the lactose and will show signs of allergies. A close friend of mine has been using whey protein daily for two months, and because of his ancestrally inherited lactose intolerance (half Native American), he has shown strong signs of allergies the entire time.

• Although there are no studies as of yet, prolonged use of whey protein may weaken kidney and liver functioning, especially in people whose kidneys and liver were not originally at optimum performance.

• You may have an odd reaction or two to whey protein after you begin taking it. Many teenagers complain of acne whilst taking whey protein, for example.