what is the meaning of meaning?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Malachi, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Malachi Registered Senior Member

*system crashes*

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hoth Registered Senior Member

Meaning is relative to goals. The meaning of meaning is that it highlights paths to goals. If one of your goals is to reach your goals, having a mental function that stamps various things with meanings is useful.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

What is the meaning of meaning to you? By that I mean,
    what something means to me might not mean anything
    to you and vice versa. Again, perception is everything
    imo. Know what I mean?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sinecure71 Registered Senior Member

I've been meaning to find out

8. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

How do you mean that? Are you trying to figure out
    what I meant by what I wrote? Or the meaning of
    meaning in general?

9. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

meanie.

10. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

"Eenie Meenie Jelly Beanie, the spirits
    are about to speak." -Bullwinkle

11. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

The meaning with meaning is that we should find our actions reasonable and continue to pursue them.
    Or, love.

12. machaon Registered Senior Member

yeah

OR LOVE.

I agree. Except for the the fact that a lot of peoples idea of love is dropping bombs and starving children. Why yes, I love MY country.......

13. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

If that's the case, what's the reason for reason? What actions are reasonable, and justify pursuit? Is this subjective? Does something being ordained by god or gods make it reasonable? What about man? Reasonable as defined by the faculties of man, or men, or gods? Define pursuit.

Please don't compartmentalize life. Some of us take ours seriously.

14. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

semantics?

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

maybe to understand the meaning of meaning

16. prozak Banned Banned

The significance of significance: that valuation exists.

17. m0rl0ck Consume! Conform! Obey! Registered Senior Member

How about this; Meaning is subjective truth and its meaning is (like any other truth) in how it fits or interrelates with the rest of what you know. Meaning has to be subjective because it has to mean something TO someone.

18. prozak Banned Banned

Perception is "subjective" thus that's assumed (I hope).

19. m0rl0ck Consume! Conform! Obey! Registered Senior Member

Mmm. That got me thinking. My last post was pretty much completely full of shit. Ignore it.

20. >_O Registered Senior Member

death is meaning, as no matter what anyone does or anything that happens we will all eventually reach death, like it or not that is what we are all working toward

21. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Some take life too seriously...
    To find out the meaning of meaning, the ultimate meaning of meaning that applies to all, when subjectivity has been stripped down to its mere brainfunctions, we would have to connect with all that is, to become one with the consciousness of the universe. Which we already are, but are a bit unequipped to fully comprehend as human beings. We have our limitations, they too for a purpose, that is part of the meaning of meaning.
    But mostly I believe the question arises as the meaning itself. We are meant to wonder.
    To solve that mystery would be too great for us to fully be able to give in to the game. It would simply be no fun, if we knew how it would end. And these rules we have made up before we started playing.

22. Platipus Modern Realist Registered Senior Member

What are your thoughts in regards to first matter? Do you believe in pre-determined destiny?

23. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Free will+Heart =Destiny.
    We have been given a free will to be able to follow our hearts in order to reach our destiny. So, we can chose to not follow our hearts and therefore not reach our destiny, but take another path in life. Of course it would be equally valid as the destined one, but maybe not as fulfilling.
    But then the question of what is your hearts desire arises. Maybe what feels right , right now, may not feel right at all tomorrow, so then it's matter of when in time you make a choice for it to be alligned with your heart. So when it comes down to it, you can't go wrong. But I don't want to give credit for that to the destiny category, but more to the perfection of the construction we are living in.

First matter? I don't know, but if I were to guess, then I would say it came from the wish of the non physical to become physical.