What is the healthiest meal?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by ChildOfTheMind, Sep 2, 2004.

1. ChildOfTheMind So dark the con of man Registered Senior Member

What is the healthiest meal you can think of... incorperates everything, hmm... I think pasta, with a side of kiwi, followed my mashed potatoes the gravy is made from red meat, and um salmon, and skim milk

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Ok!! so have lunch already!.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The heathiest meal is a good steak, veggies on the side, onions to shew the steak with, and a glass of red wine. Hmmmm, well might as well make it the bottle.

G.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ste_harris Net Ninja Registered Senior Member

Its got to be a tuna pasta bake, can't get enough of it.
    It has lots of tuna, so plenty of good fishy oils.
    It has pasta, a great source of carbohydrates.
    Then there’s cheese, which is full of calcium.
    And finally there’s Cream of mushroom soup, which is full of... mushrooms apparently

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Roman Banned Banned

Well, if healthiest means that which promotes longevity, then only one meal should be eaten a day. That meal should contain no meat, lots of vitamins, and be low on calories. Green tea should go with it.
    It's found that under-eating is the diet that keeps a rat living the longest, as well as people. So just stay in a state of semi-starvation.

8. Ste_harris Net Ninja Registered Senior Member

Semi starvation just makes life seem longer...

9. Roman Banned Banned

No kidding. I'll eat what I want, keep exorcising. I mean exercising. Haha, I should be a Baptist!

10. rGEMINI Fallen Entity Registered Senior Member

meep exersice ><

11. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

I've read a bit about that, the studies are still ongoing but the early results really are quite stunning. I mean, doubling rats lives with nothing more than diet is pretty astounding. Then again, they've "cured" aids and cancer in rats before too so it's a bit premature to assume these benefits will translate to humans.

interesting stuff though.

12. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

But doesn't eating so seldomly cause your body to fight starvation, store fat and essentially start "eating itself" from the inside out. Liver (or kidney, I can't recall which) failure often occurs as a result of starvation diets due to this.

If your body is constantly fed, it uses it's food efficiently and liberally.

I would imagine it would be healthier to eat very small meals (with natural appetite suppressants like mint or blasamic vinegar) 5 to 6 times a day or more.

Maybe a handful of green grapes (or a small dose of a different healthy fruit each time) followed by a few mint leaves every few hours.

Does anyone have a hypothesis on why borderline starvation seems to prolong life?

13. Roman Banned Banned

Well, what about the really long lived yogis and bhuddists? They eat low on the food chain, and eat little, and reportedly live a long time.

14. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

yeah thats true, we've actually misrepresented the diet a bit. In reality it involves eating a hell of a lot (in mass at least) it's also quite varied. Beans, nuts, fruit, veggies, mushrooms, etc... imagine eating a salad that looks to be meant for 3 people at each sitting, it's really a pretty daunting amount of food to look at it. All the nutrients, fiber, vitamins and calories needed are there but not an ounce more. That and complete absence of refined sugars and refined grains seems to be the key.

I only gave the details a glance and it was a few years ago but if I remember correctly those are the highlights. So, it's not a matter of starving in anyway just a very low calorie intake (compared to most diets).

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

A balanced diet refers to intake of appropriate types and adequate amounts of foods and drinks to supply nutrition and energy for the maintenance of body cells, tissues, and organs, and to support normal growth and development.

For a healthy diet, replace unhealthy and fattening foods with healthier alternatives, such as fresh fruits and vegetables.

Your entire body is made from the food you eat and the water you drink. The human body is roughly 63% water, 22% protein, 13% fat, 2% minerals and vitamins. Eating the highest quality food in the right quantity helps you to achieve your highest potential for health, vitality and freedom from disease. In short, a long and healthy life.

16. Arditezza Banned Banned

Mexican Dip

Sour Cream (dairy)
    Tomatoes (vegtables)
    Beans (proteins)
    Ground Beef (meat)
    Green Onions (vegtables)
    Jalepenos (stimulates digestion along with other spices)
    Cheddar Cheese (dairy)
    Corn chips (vegtables and salts)
    Flax Seeds (mixed in the beef for omegas)

17. what768 Guest

Natural = healhty

18. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Vogue had some great articles on aging and diets in August issue. One of the interesting things was that if you want to get calcium, you have to eat milk products on their own, not combined with other things:

If the above is right, it follows that you really can't stuff everything onto one plate and call it a healthy day. Healthy food is a complex on-going habit that should last for life.

19. Kumar Registered Senior Member

What about 'Fruits'? However, a food which can be healthier for one may not be similar for other.

20. river-wind Valued Senior Member

21. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

It's called caloric restriction (CR) and it is the only proven way to prolong life in virtually every living species! Hasen't been tested in humans yet for obvious reasons. It is believed that by reducing your intake, the body goes into an evolutionary starvation mode where it devotes more energy in maintaining the body than into reproduction. Sex will kill u!!!
    CR does this primarily by increasing our DNA repair capacity.

22. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I;d go with foods without addatives.

Organic Bran, meat and vegetables.

If you're looking for the healthiest meal around then soething synthetic could be made in a lab...

23. duendy Registered Senior Member

have you heard of quinoa? only found out about it myself a short whole ago.......you cook it like rice...ie, you put about 2/3 of a cup of quinoa in a cup and two parts of water--try and use good mineral water. then bring it to boil and simmer for 15 mins on lowest number with pan lid on
    so what is it. it is a ancient food from south america. you must though check it out for yourself cause it gots an interesting tale...it is an all round amazingly nutritious food...i have mixed peas with it...mmmmmmmmmm