What is the difference?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Silent Beauty, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Silent Beauty Registered Member

Between Platonic/Love and Passion/Love?

Some people have argued that these two can be co existing as one and not be separated.

What do you think?

On dictionary.com, we find the following definitions:

“Platonic – 1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of Plato or his philosophy;
    2. Transcending physical desire and tending toward the purely spiritual or ideal
    3. Pure, passionless; nonsexual; philosophical

What was Plato's goal?
    What kind of love did he mean when he said PURE love?

Just want to take a stab at this because people have argued with me over this simple definition.

~~happy holidays~~

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sevenblu feeling blu Registered Senior Member

Plato said (I paraphrase) to achieve one's highest philosophical goals one must abandon the external senses because they cannot be trusted.

Passionate love comes from the external whereas Platonic love is internal.

Both sorts of love are at opposing poles: Not to many people are turned on by a chick just because she calculates her own quantum theories or performs open heart surgery – not unless she’s got a nice ass too!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Bullshit. Some people are turned on by chicks who can do quantum theories and can perform major surgery. Some guys are even attracted to fat women with gigantic moles on their faces.

Platonic love is not wanting to fuck someone. Passionate love is the desire to rip open her shirt and play with her boobs.

Plato is wrong. A good screw can clear the mind.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sevenblu feeling blu Registered Senior Member

People who are turned on by giant moles are attracted to a physical attribute. Your examples are flawed. As for quantum theory: "Most people would rather see the hot scientist in an oil-wrestling match with the hot doctor. But if it never happens, does it even exist? Bla Bla Bla... I’m tired and horny."
    I agree with all the blood in my erection!

Plato just never got any because he was FUGLY!
    Look at his nose for Pete's sake... He's a beast of a philosopher!

8. ProCop Valued Senior Member

I think an example of platonic love is when a prostitute does it for free with someone.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2003
  9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

What about the platonic love that men have for each other, known as mateship ( here) of buddyship ( there) or for that matter the love a person has for a pet budgie or a dog etc etc.

What about the love for the ocean or the stars da da da da......

What was the question by the way?

10. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

That isn't neccessarily love. I don't have to love a woman to want to do that though it would help. Thats just a man's lust for boobs.

I think you're mising the point of love.

Platonic love - People fool themselves by being in these relationships because they do not last long....usually one of the members gets bored by the "platonicness" of it all.

Passionate love - a.k.a Romeo and Juliet.....this can be the greatest form of relationship and the strongest but this is also a dangerous one. Jealousy, hatred, paranoia all stem from this because your lover is such a integral part of you you'd hate to see them betray you.

Most likely love purely on a intellectual level, no sexual desires or physical lust to taint the intellectual utopia of love.

11. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Physical attraction means everything; but some people, not all, are turned on by a chick who can actually think.

Hell, I once overheard a chick quote an episode of StarTrek. I hadn't found her attractive at the time - but after she said that I thought "Gee, it would be nice to screw her while her Mom is watching".

Words and intelligence can both be factors in attraction.