What is the Big Bang Theory?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by paddoboy, Dec 18, 2015.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Yes that's what you were spraying in the thread shifted to pseudoscience if I remember rightly.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

GR will almost certainly be complimentary to any QGT that may be developed, and will just as certainly stand as unchallenged within its zones of applicability..
    But that will most certainly come from accepted mainstream quarters...not from delusional nuts that infest a remote science forum/Keep trying though, its fun seeing you squirm.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The God Valued Senior Member

I never squirm, simply because I am never wrong.

...It is a wishful thinking on your part that GR will almost certainly be complimentary to any QGT that may be developed....by the way what do you mean by "almost certainly".

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Then you must have a halo.
    It's another way of saying, "I might be wrong."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Can we highlight your statement yo reinforce the adversely problematic position of your "state of mind"? Because really, that's all it does sadly.

8. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

The second law also says that a system at equilibrium is in a state of maximum entropy; your reversal of entropy argument doesn't really explain the "Bang", although the reversal must have been "Big".
    And we should remember that the phrase "Big Bang" can mean different physical events, it remains a somewhat vague terminology--does it include inflation, or does it refer to the inflation era only, and so on.

This paper covers a few of the current problems in cosmology, and moreover what the author believes is some confusion about the role of entropy (in its many guises) in cosmology, and lists Sir Roger Penrose as one of the confused (!)

http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/4744/1/gravent_archive.pdf

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  9. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

I think there is another problem with a temporal and spatial reversal of entropy aka the Big Bang: time and space didn't exist until it "happened". Entropy as we know it, makes sense in terms of say, an ideal gas with a temperature (in fact, entropy and temperature are conjugate), but how closely did the early universe resemble an ideal (or even a non-ideal) gas or system of non-interacting particles?

10. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

I think the concept of irreversibility, which hasn't been mentioned, is another key to understanding what the problem is (with cosmological entropy).

Like, for instance, the glass falling off the table and smashing into pieces, or a black hole forming.

Why are these irreversible, since the laws of physics are time symmetric? or in other words, why does time and entropy always point in the same direction? Is the "direction" some kind of illusion--the universe has no history because all times are equivalent? Somehow that last question, if it has an answer, seems really unsatisfactory?

But, why can I or anyone else, ask such a question? Or is that mere philosophy . . .

11. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

From Wikipedia:

--https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_(arrow_of_time)

So it's the expansion which is directly the cause of ongoing entropy increase. But it's not that straightforward; I believe that certain concepts from Information Theory are useful: the idea of erasure of information (irreversible dissipation of energy to the environment), faithful (error-free) communication of information, and of course computation (which includes erasure and transforms information or "changes the message"), and most of all information entropy.

Erasing information--the smashed glass doesn't "remember" its initial shape--doesn't change the amount of energy or information in the universe. In the case of black holes, no information is lost, it just takes a lot longer for the black hole to "erase" it all via Hawking radiation to the environment of the black hole.

Then there is the idea that the 2nd law arises because particles interact, and generate correlations; the universe was initially in a state of relatively low entropy (that is, relative to now) because particles weren't interacting with each other.

Also note that inflation explains the near-uniformity of the early universe, although nobody knows how to explain (the cause of) inflation.

12. Waiter_2001 Registered Senior Member

The Big Bang Theory is a show on E4(E3.7.) *rollseyes* Terrible I know.