What is the best band ever?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by hedball, Jul 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

No, they were a bunch of alleged 'singers'.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

What are the criteria for a 'band' then?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

It's difficult to define. I'd say it has to include at least 3 people and one instrument though. Any less than 3 and you've got a solo artist or a duo. No instruments and you've got a vocal group. So aim for at least 3 people, at least one of whom should possess and be able to get a tune out of, say, a cowbell. Or some maracas.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. imaplanck. Banned Banned

I have a love hate kind of thing going with the jubilee polka band

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

9. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i ALREADY told you guys...Joy Division is the best band ever.

10. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

"Is"? Present tense? Isn't the singer a bit, um, dead?

11. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

quite.

they became "new order" afterwards....or as i like to call them: "OH SHIT OUR SINGER DIED AND NOW WE HAVE AN OBLIGATION TO MAKE SHITTY MUSIC!!"

"is", as in present tense, yes....because no band before or since can compare.

12. imaplanck. Banned Banned

None of those are a patch on foster and allen

13. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

good argument....i can see that they have talent, for sure!

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Rolf Harris

Humanitarian and one-man band

15. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Washboard Willy is then pushing the envelope. But then again, there is Wishboard Wanda with "Rocko" the Rhythm Rig. Maybe hten they are a band.

16. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

That's why I "complement" my "selection" by "additionalizing" it with the "genre" of "Jungle music".

Whoa... yay... jungle music,
    whoa... yay... jungle music.

I.e. rap is too accessible to people who do not strive toward being rude which is obviously like you, aka, any... "pedestrian" or "old person"... if I may. Rap is a gateway music. Only music that is purely about cool rythms will pass my test. Just like only people who are cool, a la unlike you. No other "kind" if I may "impartiate", will do.

17. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Rest assured, any cool rythms you now enjoy are borrowed from those of the past. There's a little Washboard Willy in everything you hear, a little hokum mixed into present.

18. Bum Bum Registered Member

Dudes!!!!Im just after joining this sight and im titingly shocked at the crap thats being posted!!!I think i even saw a greenday somewhere!!!!So crap i wont even give them a capital letter!!!!The greatest band that ever existed,despite their short time together,was the original Guns N' motherfuckin Roses!!!!!!Axl,undoubtadly the greatest frontman ever!!!Slash, the genius behind the best riff ever invented,both sweet child o mine AND paradise city.Duff,aside from flea(not that i like the chilis)is the greatest and most charasmatic bassist EVER!!!!Izzy,the most unsung lyricist in existence the mans a genius.And poor steve Adler,if he wasnt constantly fucked,had the potential to outdo Kieth Moon!!!!But thats just me.I have seen some good suggestions like Led Zeppelin,which on a warmer day i might agree with, and Cream and the likes.THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE MY FRIENDS!!!

19. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Hi All,

the best band ever has to be the Beatles.

their is no contest really

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Just saw Dick Dale the other night. All I can say is that nobody plays sets like that. The young'uns have somethin' to learn, indeed.

21. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Haha, sweet. *Grabs a board*

- N

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

GnR was certainly a great band. I saw them several times in L.A., including that insane double bill at the Rose Bowl with Metallica. (I give Motorhead credit for having no ego problem, being willing to warm up that concert when Faith No More canceled.) They were very good at what they did... but what they did was extremely narrow, straight-up guitar-god 4/4 rock with angry-white-boy lyrics, with an occasional foray into a love song. And what they did was extremely little, one fine album followed by a self-indulgent double with a couple of merely good songs buried in the drenn.

Go ahead and compare them to the bands you mention. I suppose Cream looks pretty similarly limited in retrospect, but give Baker Bruce & Clapton credit for essentially inventing heavy metal--something I've never seen a critic do. If you ask me, "Sunshine of Your Love" was the first heavy metal song. One thing GnR did not do was break any new ground.

But Zep? The Who? Those guys broke new ground, worked in a lot of different styles, moods and perspectives, and made lots of music for us.

GnR recorded several songs that will probably be around for a long time, but you'll never hear a radio station doing a one-hour block of them because there is no such thing as a one-hour block of great GnR songs. It's hard to be great when you produce so little. Not impossible, but very hard, and I just don't think GnR was quite great enough to overcome that extremely serious flaw.

As for Green Day being mentioned on this thread. Have you noticed that guitar solos are out of fashion? Kids don't like them any more. No matter how good they are they're just old-time music to them. The motif has been exhausted and even Joe Satriani, much less Slash, can't wring anything new out of it. Bands with sounds like GnR are passé. Tom Morello has figured it out, today's headbangers are up for about fifteen seconds with a distortion pedal and that's it. Meanwhile Slash and Velvet Revolver are playing to arenas full of us old hippies.

So much for the genre of heavy metal. I think the kids still appreciate the classic metal anthems, much as we appreciated Benny Goodman and Frank Sinatra. We just didn't especially want anyone new to try working in those genres because they had been completed. We wanted more Chuck Berry and they want more Green Day.

BTW, if you haven't listened to the whole "American Idiot" CD played all the way through, you might be in for a few surprises.

Oh, and Geezer Butler was the best bassist who ever lived.

23. original sine Registered Senior Member

Pink Floyd​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.