What is space?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by kaneda, Sep 25, 2008.

1. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Space is not a sheet. Space is not a pillowcase. Whether space is a vacuum depends on whether any thing is in it.
    If there is an aether or whatever new name or reshaping scientists come up with, that is not space. It is in space.
    Back to the balloon : The balloon is the aether or fabric or quantum bubbly broth or whatever. It is in space.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Saxion Banned Banned

It's closer to a sheet than it is a pillow case, as recent observations show that the universe is nearly flat.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CheskiChips Banned Banned

And it's closer to jello than a sheet.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Saxion Banned Banned

Yes. Yes it is. It's very ellastic. Jello can rip easily though.

8. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

The formation of matter during expansion is not an "explosion" position. It is actually Big Bang nucleosynthesis as I understand it.

The presence of space surrounding the expansion is a clear departure; a departure from the scientific consensus if that consensus says there was no space or time before the Big Bang which is what it sounds like you are agreeing with. Are you saying that space is being created where there was no space? What was there before space? That is the issue, expansion into existing space not explosion vs. inflation IMHO.

9. Saxion Banned Banned

Inflation happened around \(10^{-35}s\) to \(10^{-32}\) after big bang, and it refers to the expansion expanding faster than light.

10. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

MarcAC. A good answer and a fair answer. I agree on "we don't know".

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Isn't the wall considered an object?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Your ignorance doesn't preclude my understanding.

No, YOU don't know. I do know, as do others. So, go back to your bible thumping.

13. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Quantum Wave. I thought of matter being energy some years ago but matter is "stable" and on an atomic scale, in motion so that instead of a "solid particle", you'd have an average position where the particle seemed to be though it was in many very close to that places. It seemed unlikely so I put it on a back burner.

14. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

James R. What is expanding space in the big bang idea? How can you have more of "nothing"?

How does dark energy expand the universe?

For the space to expand between galaxies requires a four physical dimension hypersphere, like the balloon anaology. How does a hyperspehere work?

15. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

andbna. The balloon analogy works because there is something "inside" fuelling expansion and because there is a material between the marks on a balloon that holds everything together.

A 3D sphere expanding would mean a definite centre to the universe which everything expands away from. A 4D hypersphere where the universe is "the 3D skin" would mean everything expanding away from everything else but would need something "inside" to fuel expansion and something to hold our universe together so that expansion was uniform and we don't end up with a "balloon" which was full of lumps and depressions.

16. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

How can space expand faster than light when it permits nothing to move through it faster than light?

If areas of space expand as some now claim, did we have many smaller big bangs which joined up? If so, this would not create a uniform CMB. The opposite in fact.

17. Saxion Banned Banned

Space and time can move faster than light. It does not violate special relativity. That is why, when spacetime moved at superluminal speeds, it dragged matter with it, so that matter does not move faster than light itself.

18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

This is an interesting topic. When I think of the big bang, I tend to think of a singularity exploding into nothingness (space). I think of the expansion of space as the expansion of the matter within it. Yet, I believe that the theory is that "space" itself is expanding, not just the matter within it. So this implies that "space" is something.....

If one could somehow travel instantaneously beyond the limits into which the universe has expanded (the limits of "space") what would one find there? Would there be anything? Would it be emptyness? Would it be an area where the rules of physics as we know them don't apply?

Or is this, perhaps, part of Einstein's light speed limit? Could one never travel beyond the limits of space because the universe is expanding at the speed of light (I have no idea what the speed of the expansion actually is) and so someone within the bounds of space could never overtake the "boundry"?

Of course, there's also the idea that the universe is infinite yet expanding. There's no limit, yet it just keeps getting bigger. How does something already infinite in size grow?

19. Saxion Banned Banned

I believe rather, its the continuous expansion of spacetime which refers to infinity. So, there is always going to be more space every picosecond. This is the infinite spacetime in which the theory talks about.

Infinity is never 1, or \(100^{10,000}\). These numbers are finite, because they have a limit. But spacetime is continuously expanding, so it is infinite.

20. Saxion Banned Banned

And the current speed of expansion, is superluminal. There was a time when it was expanding at the speed of light itself, but something has accelerated this.

21. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

"The Great Chinese of Königsberg" taught us that space is the a priori form of our intuition...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Saxion Banned Banned

Well, it doesn't make sense.

23. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

The unintuitive limit beyond which there is no beyond.