What is space made of?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by irishbones, Jun 30, 2004.

1. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

If space is nothing then how can things be relative to eachother or how can all things have same time relative to eachother ie. we should never be able to match two watches ?

Humans will ignore this question.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Even nothing has something in it! You see there's no such thing as "empty" space for even in the empty space atoms exist. Just because you can't see anything doesn't mean that there's "nothing" there. Remember that what is important in life is invisible to your eyes.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2004
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Let me use my Sherlock Holmes-like power of deduction to make a few guesses about you.

1. You've never had a college level physics class, or in the very unlikely event that you have, you didn't get beyond the really basic stuff about kinematics and circuits.
    2. You don't know anything about linear algebra, partial differential equations, or any of the other kinds of math that are necessary to understand modern physics.
    3. You think that you know quite a lot about physics but all of your 'research' has been from popular science books or web pages, not actual textbooks.
    4. You don't know the difference between the group velocity and phase velocity of an electromagnetic wave.

Was I wrong about any of that?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Crazy concepts. Is something nothing, is nothing something, and what of something that is not nothing but still nothing. Beyond nothing is nothing which is something different from this nothing. How can nothing have properties, like space and time. Then you're told nothing is something but we can do nothing with it. Well I think this nothing is something, after all I live in all this nothing. Or is it the something inside the nothing that makes it something, so without something there could be no nothing which would make all nothing something. Ohhh my brain..

8. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

If Space was nothing then all particles in universe would either had no distance between them or would have been equidistance.

Hey I have no idea how U humans can imagine inertia without Space as something.

BlindMan this is not an essay contests.
    Nasor If U come here to thrash people then thrash BlindMan thats all U r good at.

9. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I just get very frustrated with people who know zero about physics, but come here and start making a lot of noise about how relativity is wrong, or some other ridiculous thing, even though they don't know the first thing about it. How can anyone be that arrogant?

10. bradguth Banned Banned

Empty space is by far the most occupied by photons.

There are trillions upon trillions more photons than atoms/m3 in "empty space", thus space isn't all that empty, especially if you'd care to include those photons that are nearly resting, which BTW represent mass, and/or perhaps offering the very binder of atoms.
    http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-photons-m3.htm

I get very frustrated when know-it-alls don't give a fling puck about the morality of their science, thereby having absolutely no remorse for what could be a perfectly good door-opener, that which should be given some honest consideration.

Obviously some of this borg collective of the "mainstream status quo" are not here to improve upon anything except their pretentious bigotry that's gotten humanity into this space toilet fiasco in the first place.

Whereas others, such as team Hubble and NEC/Wang, offer specific numbers, based upon very how-to-accomplish specifics and thereby well proven test results that'll actually matter to humanity.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2004
  11. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

The question isn't "what is space occupied mostly of?", it's "what's space MADE out of" What makes space? What causes our perceptions of the 3 dimensions?

12. Facial Valued Senior Member

Why do we percieve a 3-dimensional space? And how are we able to concieve the lower two dimensions of space? It borders on the philosophical.

13. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

It looks like everyone thinks they have the answer.

I think no one has the answer. Maybe there is no answer?

That's the beauty of scientific enquiry - no matter how far you go, you can always look for deeper answers!

But I'm no different to the crowd, really - I also think I have the answer:

Space is made of the same stuff that time is made of.

14. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Pete, surely the word "made of" implies that space is matter? As u know, this is wrong so we cannot ask the question.

15. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

It doesn't imply that to me, but I'm an academic used to dealing with abstract models.

Some examples:
    • A week is made of 7 days.
    • The Internet protocol suite is made of many protocols and standards including HTTP, FTP, SMTP, POP, SNMP, SMB, ASN.1, TCP, UDP, IP, ARP, PPP.
    • Knowledge is made of experience, values, contextual information, and expert insight (Davenport & Prusak 2000, Working Knowledge, Harvard Press)
    • An Enterprise Information Management environment is made of the enterprise's strategic plan, the organizational structure, the information system architecture, and current IT opportunities (Benson, Parker, & Trainor 1988, Information Economics, Prentice Hall)

But perhaps the original questioner meant "made of" in a real physical way.

Either way, I think the answer is still "don't know for sure, maybe can't know for sure".

And I still like my answer best:
    Space is made of the same stuff that time is made of.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Yeah thats usually what I say too but i now try to get people to think for themselves and get them questioning the reality of spatial dimensions!

17. Hypercane Sustained Winds at Mach One Registered Senior Member

Well you could say that light is "made of" photons. And yet photons are dton have mass therefore there isnt any matter.

18. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Yeah, the same way u could say that science is 'made of' a mixture of theory and experiment. We have already established that and it was my understanding that THAT was not what the OP meant by those words

19. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

But photons do have energy, which I suspect is the same thing at a lower level.

20. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

how about energy? Isn't that in space?

21. orestes Strategos Registered Senior Member

Our minds have seen representations of the lower two dimensions, i.e. a picture or movie screen. But if you existed in a two dimensional universe, it would be like trying to look or move out of the movie screen, thus moving into 3 dimensions. Well, actually, wouldn't it be four because of time?

22. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

hey U all geniuses,

bradguth,

what is that space made of that is inbetween the photons (or any other particles) in the space ?

23. HOWARDSTERN HOWARDSTERN has logged out.... Registered Senior Member

That's a DAMN good question,irishbones !

I have been thinking/questioning along similar lines for many years myself.

Wished I knew the answer to the question

Even so....in trying to visually grasp the idea of gravity, I have been thinking of gravity as being space displaced by matter, (that gravity is possibly the result of space (as a real & existing thing)), being like pressure waves that are displaced by matter ....any matter, however small the matter may be.

Yeah, I think that space is much more than nothingness, possibly exactly the opposite of what our limited senses perceive.

Maybe the matter, of which we are made of, is actually just shadows of emptiness and patterns, moving through the super solid space....like the old, proposed idea of an ether.

There are a lot of seemingly crazy ideas out there, but I love to hear them all. Sooner or later, one of the ideas is bound to be right.