what is plasma

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Sir. Brilliance, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Sir. Brilliance Registered Senior Member

What is plasma?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

basically, it is a state of matter where all electrons have been stripped from their nuclei. but for a better explaination, go here:
    http://www.plasmas.org/basics.htm

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. URI IMU Registered Senior Member

In my opinion, all matter is a plasma, some (?normal) matter is just frozen by electromagnetic pressure.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. valich Registered Senior Member

Not necessarily. A plasma is an ionized gas. Only one electron has to be lost to become ionized. Plasma is a state of matter, where, when it is heated, it begins to lose electrons, become ionized, and is then a great conductor of electric charge. Although I admit that there seems to be debate over what exactly constitutes a plasma as a fourth state of matter:

"plasma: One of four states of matter (solid, liquid, plasma and gas). The plasma state is a gas that is heated to the point where it begins to release electrons. Although plasma occurs naturally on the sun and other stars, it is artificially produced in fluorescent lights and plasma displays by electrically charging a gas in order to release ultraviolet light."
    http://www.extremetech.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=plasma&i=49352,00.asp

"Plasma: a fourth state of matter distinct from solid or liquid or gas and present in stars and fusion reactors; a gas becomes a plasma when it is heated until the atoms lose all their electrons, leaving a highly electrified collection of nucli."
    Source: WordReference.com English Dictionary

"Plasma: (physical chemistry) a fourth state of matter distinct from solid or liquid or gas and present in stars and fusion reactors; a gas becomes a plasma when it is heated until the atoms lose all their electrons, leaving a highly electrified collection of nuclei and free electrons; "particles in space exist in the form of a plasma"
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=plasma

"Normally, the electrons in a solid, liquid, or gaseous sample of matter stay with the same atomic nucleus. Some electrons can move from atom to atom if an electrical current flows in a solid or liquid, but the motion occurs as short jumps by individual electrons between adjacent nuclei. In a plasma, a significant number of electrons have such high energy levels that no nucleus can hold them.

An atom that has lost some of its electrons, thereby attaining an electric charge, is an ion. When a gas is subjected to heat or an electric field, some of its atoms become ions, and the gas is said to be ionized. An ionized gas, unlike a gas in its normal condition, can conduct electrical current to a limited extent. If the heat or electric field becomes extreme, many of the atoms become ions. The resulting super-ionized gas is a plasma, which can conduct a large and sustained electric current."
    http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci864603,00.html

8. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

The 4th state of matter, after gas.

9. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

yeah, sorry, I should not have said all, but I was in a hurry.

10. URI IMU Registered Senior Member

Almost 100% of all matter in the Universe is a plasma.

On earth (frozen plasma) we call heated electrically conducting gas a plasma, since the substance of space (plasma) is not a natural state of matter on Earth.

Defining plasma as the "fourth state of matter" is an anthropomorphic definition.

11. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Anthropomorphic means to liken something to an animal, hence "anthro" comics etc.
    Defining plasma as the "fourth state of matter" is therefore not an anthropomorphic definition.

12. valich Registered Senior Member

You cannot define plasma on Earth as "frozen plasm" as there is no such thing as "frozen plasma." Plasma is an ionized gas on Earth, as it is throughout the universe. The sun consists of plasma. Because the definition of a plasma is a "physical state," you can't say that a solid is a plasma. That's a change in the physical state of the matter.

13. URI IMU Registered Senior Member

>> "frozen plasm"

Lets see

we can have ice, water and steam

ice is frozen steam

This does occur with sublimation and condensation

The Universe is 99% plasma

so solid matter is frozen plasma.

Just a way I look at it.

Metals behave as if a liquid plasma.

14. Facial Valued Senior Member

Valich, don't bother. I've tried many times to correct this fool, but he just turns cover and runs.

15. valich Registered Senior Member

Forget in Facial. You are replying like a fool. "turns cover and runs."? Explain? I'm always here. Do you want my phone number and address? No problem. What's your problem?

Post a definition of "plasma," or are you thinking of "frozen blood plasma"??

"Plasmas consist of freely moving charged particles, i.e., electrons and ions. Formed at high temperatures when electrons are stripped from neutral atoms, plasmas are common in nature. For instance, stars are predominantly plasma. Plasmas are the "Fourth State of Matter" because of their unique physical properties, distinct from solids, liquids and gases. Plasma densities and temperatures vary widely."
    http://fusedweb.pppl.gov/CPEP/Chart_Pages/5.Plasma4StateMatter.html

Wikipedia: "plasma is "an ionized gas, and is considered to be a distinct phase of matter. "Ionized" in this case means that at least one electron has been removed from a significant fraction of the molecules....Plasmas are the most common phase of matter....

Temperature: The defining characteristic of a plasma is ionization. Although ionization can be caused by UV radiation, energetic particles, or strong electric fields, (processes that tend to result in a non-Maxwellian electron distribution function), it is more commonly caused by heating the electrons in such a way that they are close to thermal equilibrium so the electron temperature is relatively well-defined. Because the large mass of the ions relative to the electrons hinders energy transfer, it is possible for the ion temperature to be very different from (usually lower than) the electron temperature.

The degree of ionization is determined by the electron temperature relative to the ionization energy (and more weakly by the density) in accordance with the Saha equation. If only a small fraction of the gas molecules are ionized (for example 1%), then the plasma is said to be a cold plasma, even though the electron temperature is typically several thousand degrees. The ion temperature in a cold plasma is often near the ambient temperature. Because the plasmas utilized in plasma technology are typically cold, they are sometimes called technological plasmas. They are often created by using a very high electric field to accelerate electrons, which then ionize the atoms....

Ultracold Plasmas: It is also possible to create ultracold plasmas, by using lasers to trap and cool neutral atoms to temperatures of 1 mK."

Do you know the temperature of 1 mK? 1,000,0000 K = 1,800,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

16. Facial Valued Senior Member

You realize I'm talking about URI, right?

17. valich Registered Senior Member

Facial: No I didn't! Thanks for clarifying your remark as I thought it was directed toward me. Terribly sorry.

18. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

Phone number and address? OK.

Now maybe I can get the FBI off my back if I can tell them.

But then what about the CIA?

You got two phone numbers and address?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  19. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

S B:

Just as a matter of polite curiosity, why have you created a thread asking the identity of something that can be found in a gillian textbooks and by Googling?

20. Facial Valued Senior Member

No prob. I was a little worried myself, since I don't like making enemies with you more reputable folks.

21. URI IMU Registered Senior Member

>> ultracold plasmas, by using lasers to trap and cool neutral atoms to temperatures of 1 mK." Do you know the temperature of 1 mK? 1,000,0000 K = 1,800,000 degrees Fahrenheit. >>>>>>>

LOL, hate to feel the temp of an normal "hot" plasma, then.

Volatile matter can be in a plasma state at 800 C and above or far far less...... see fluorescent light.

'Ultra cold' neutrons are near absolute zero.

>> correct this fool >>>

surrounded by fools ?

who is the real fool...... LOL

22. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

If I remember correctly that isn't actually a true plasma.

23. URI IMU Registered Senior Member

>> true plasma.

at least you can now appreciate the definition of the word plasma is easy, but very difficult to apply to actual "plasmas", considering that all matter is in some form of plasma.

When the lable plasma was applied to "hot ionised gases(ions)", it was not realised that solid matter is not the normal state, the plasma state is normal (99% of all matter).

So definitions used to depict a plasma are now confusing and are in need of revision, IMO.