What is Love?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Cactus Jack, Apr 19, 2002.

1. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

Ah but he does, and we love him, unconditionally.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oh and the opposite of love is hate, I thought everyone knew that. Oh but then you've been having trouble with the whole opposite concept haven't you Nelson

Also love does not drive out fear, tho it can make fear easier to face.

Tata

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"Unconditional Love is the Perfection, the goal"

Loving Bernardo is the goal? Okay......
    You stick to your goals and I'll stick to reality. To me, loving someone who tortured and raped and tortured and raped over 15 teenage girls is something less than sympathetic to the girls.

Tell the families of these girls that you love Bernardo or that they should love Bernardo and I bet you get slapped.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"Fear is probably the ignorance of Love."

T.S. it appears these examples don't work well with you as you have yet to experience a close relationship. Still, I will try.

You are with your spouse or significant other. Out on the street one night, just for a walk. She walks over to the other side of the street to put something in a garbage can (let's say, oh, a coke). As she gets to the other side and you are away from her, a large man comes along. He holds out a gun at her and begins to rape her.

Are you afraid? Are you not afraid for her?

Could any amount of love erase this fear?

Do you still love this man raping your spouse? Do you go out at him with open arms and say 'friend!'?

If so, good luck finding a spouse.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

truthseeker,

Yes I know, although I am not as perfect as you think. I agree with you that I must appear perfect, but I know that I have made one or two mistakes in life. However, you don't have to worship me if you really don't want to.

Cris (nearly perfect)

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Truthseeker

Since I've never experienced such thing I Love Unconditionally. If I did experience such thing I don't know if I could keep up though.

Yet you're perfectly able to describe in pseudo-babblistic detail that which you have no experience.

Many sad things already happened with me but as soon as my Love starts to fade my life becomes worse.

Let me give you hint: Use your brain for more than something to stick pencils.

When I concentrate in my Love again, forgive people, and most important, forgive myself, than, I'm able to fully Love again.

That would be the perpetual grin, eyes glazed over, brain turned off, lost in a fantasy world kind of love in which you live day to day.

I said once and I say it again. To Love Unconditionally is not easy, but rewardful. I'm not perfect. Sometimes I slip on a banana...

"Truth-I-am-a-contradiction-of-myself-Seeker"

Unconditional Love is the Perfection, the goal.

Whatever you do, don't put that on your resume.

9. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"You can't win 'em all"

Cris your post brings me to an interesting quesiton. What if there is someone who wins 'em all? I have to imagine that somewhere in the world there is someone who, up till now, has won them all. What would the implications of this be? And who would it be? Maybe it's scott from 'he got away scott-free'?

These are the kind of thoughts that are gonna keep me from high society.

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Well, after the posts I read here I would say that I am egocentric, selfish and viloent as people say....

And I still proclaim Unconditional Love to the world, peace for people, and harmony...

That's why the world is like that...

Brain is more important then Love and peace...

I'm TruthSpeaker (as a friend pointed out...

)

11. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

truthseeker,

A balance between them is more appropriate.

Look for the word balance in Tao writings, it is very common.

People are very different from each other and so conflicts are always likely to be present. Perfect peace is never likely to occur.

Love is good, enjoy it when it occurs, don't overly seek it because that causes stress and frustration when it cannot be found. When love occurs it is effortless, natural and quite beautiful, and unmistakable. Don't analyse it because that may well destroy it.

The intellect can guide you to find both peace and love. Use them all to make yourself a complete individual. But find the balance between them. Each on its own is incomplete.

Cris

12. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Cris,

Yes... but you definatly DON'T have it...

Unless Love is Unconditional and EVERYONE has it for EVERYONE...

Again, as I said before, you mix Love with love.
    love is projected in an object.
    Love is the one you have within yourself. It's love in the pure form.
    Analizing Love rationally is worthless as it goes waaaaay beyond rational thinking.
    Analizing love rationally is common since Plato. And it's still done in Modern Psychology...

I agree...

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithul servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."

Albert Einstein

As I said before, our society supervalorizes rational thinking in detriment of intuitive thinking, which basis is Love...

Love,
    Nelson

13. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"Unless Love is Unconditional and EVERYONE has it for EVERYONE..."

Will never happen. It goes against human nature. Has never happened, will never happen.

"As I said before, our society supervalorizes rational thinking in detriment of intuitive thinking, which basis is Love.."

intuition is actually instincts. which are chemical. and can be easily logically figured out in evolution.

14. Xev Registered Senior Member

That's scheduled to happen right after my torrid affair with Russel Crowe...

Certainly not modern American society! American society is decidedly irrational! As is what I've seen of Canadian society...dunno about Brazilian.

15. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"That's scheduled to happen right after my torrid affair with Russel Crowe..."

I'll 'Gladiate' him if he tries anything.....

16. jandt remlik Registered Senior Member

Love/Fear

--hate is the opposite of like, not love--

Love is the opposite of Fear

Love is the absence of Fear

One could not exist without the other. One could not be known without the other.

Fear is the original condition. Love allows for the opportunity to resolve the paradoxes created by existing in our fear based
    reality.

John Lennon said it best, "All you need is Love"

peace, jandt

17. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Tyler,

Actually... intuition and instinct are different words becuase they have different meaning...

Love,
    Nelson

18. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

Nelson
    Actually... intuition and instinct are different words becuase they have different meaning...

And on he talked
    And the wonder grew
    That one small head
    Could hold all that it knew

Xev
    "That's scheduled to happen right after my torrid affair with Russel Crowe..."

Tyler
    I'll 'Gladiate' him if he tries anything.....

You may not need to Tyler I just saw some early pics of him in a raunchy Gay scene in a film some years ago.
    (There are some things ya just can't act. Know what I mean?

)

Sorry Xev

19. Xev Registered Senior Member

Sorry dear. I'll go back to "That's scheduled to happen right after there is peace in the middle east".

Really Bbcboy? My my my.

jandt:
    I am beginning to sound like a broken record...

Do you have any evidence?

20. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Hey, Crowe is straight. It's just that we Kiwis and Aussies know how to shake it when there's money on the table. Anything for a dollar.

21. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

So what would you do for a dollar Adam? (Strictly in the realms of research you understand

)

22. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

A dollar gets you 'alf an hour in tha booth, Mista! You pay up front or I'll call the guvner!

23. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

But what do we do for the other 25 minutes