What is life? What does it mean to be living?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by joepistole, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

You fail to understand what I am saying. They are only valuable for what they do, whereas we Humans are valuable IN WHAT WE ARE.

While what they do is certainly important, it doesn't matter if they die so long as they are replaced.

Insects do not have individual value, is what I mean to say. Humans do.

Individual value is gained when each individual is unique and self aware.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Oh no, I get exactly what you say.

This is a human viewpoint, not a neutral one.

Yes, to humans.

Yes, throw in self-awareness.. lol
    You are a supremacist, one from ignorance.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

It's from an intelligent standpoint. If a "creature" doesn't even know he himself exists, what does it matter if he "dies"?

Insects are nothing but a chemical formula.

Dogs, on the other hand, do have value. The more one organism is aware and concious, I think, the more value it has if it dies. That's why insects are exterminated en masse, because they're worthless. For Humans, a single murder is a tragedy.

Sure, I think Humans are superior to everything else on Earth: sort of because we are.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Value to WHO ?

8. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Value in general, or you could think of it as value to a concious mind.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What does 'value in general' mean ?
    A conscious mind.. surely you mean humans.

10. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Value as individuals. Value in capability. Value in being. Value in dreams.

Only Humans are as valuable as such. Insects are not valuable individually. Humans are. We are superior to every other life form on Earth, and that's the truth. We can outsmart them, overpower them, and at our whim, destroy them.

Humans are Earth's gods.

11. Yorda Registered Senior Member

ants don't even know humans exist. ants also can't "argue" about something like that because they can't think philosophical thoughts like that.

what makes animals different from plants is that they are conscious of their feelings. what makes humans different from animals is that they are conscious of their thoughts.

it's not a tragedy for the human who died though. it's only a tragedy for the humans who are still alive.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

To who ?

To humans. Mostly the really stupid and arrogant ones.

13. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

But don't you understand? Humans are special. We are unique, and one in a million. We have minds, we give the world purpose: our purpose.

Insects don't. They exist for nothing else than their bodily needs. They can't appreciate art or feel love or think of philosophy. They are not rare and have little value individually.

Humans are different. We give meaning to a meaningless world, we can appreciate and wonder and dream. Each and every one of us are a nation unto ourselves. Our value is self-proclaimed, and that in itself is special and incredible. We are superior for this reason, we are superior because we say we are.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You're pathetic.
    "Our value is self-proclaimed".. Yea, that's why it's meaningless.

You're a micron away from my ignore list.

15. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Why? For disagreeing with you?

Besides, that's just it! The fact that we Humans CAN REALIZE our own value makes us valuable. No other creature can contemplate their own existence and their place in the world like we can.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No, not for disagreeing with me.
    I won't be replying to you for a while. Enjoy your superiority.

17. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Honestly, there is little need for such things. We disagree, we can disagree, we're human. It's one of the abilities Humans, and only Humans, have.

18. Vkothii Banned Banned

We're only special, unique and one in a million like every other species is. We have minds, yes. Whales have flippers, and some have bigger brains than humans.

What we have is our ability to build stuff, to use fire, and water, to alter nature for our benefit. All organisms change their environment.

Back there, you should have said: "we are the self-declared gods of the earth". You missed a couple words.

19. Yorda Registered Senior Member

Animals care more about their own species than other species. Humans are different. For example, if we would meet intelligent aliens from another planet, we wouldn't treat them like animals, even though they are another "species". We would treat them like humans, because they are humans. Every being that has the same intelligence that we do I would call human.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Really ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Yorda Registered Senior Member

Yes.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

OH ! Care to put that in one sentence ?

23. Yorda Registered Senior Member

well... i was thinking about hitler, that he might have been more "animal" than other humans. but i changed my mind. he wasn't much like an animal. animals are much nicer. he was just a confused human.