What is going on 10 K.Ms below the earth?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by tpmods, Apr 12, 2006.

1. tpmods Registered Member

Hi to all of you and this is my first posting here.Hope I am posting in a correct section of the forum,if not kindly forgive me.
    If one check Earthquakes' datas of last 2 years one will find very interesting thing that most of quakes took place below 10 KMs fm our mother earth.I did not find any alarming notices by scientists on net and perhaps they have ignored this.Can anyone discuss more on this subject?btw I love quakes and the place fm where I am writing this message had more than 600 small to avg quakes few years back so fell in love with it!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Facial Valued Senior Member

Welcome to SciForums, tpmods.

Are you trying to say that the epicenters are getting deeper? How is that supposed to make sense? There is a distribution for each plate boundary for the different depths of the epicenters. Subduction zones tend to get deeper quakes than other types of faults, eg. transform or normal.

Where, exactly, is this location that you type this? I am also typing in an earthquake-prone area (Pac. Ring of Fire).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. tpmods Registered Member

"Are you trying to say that the epicenters are getting deeper?"
    Hi dear Facial I mean that most quakes hit in recent yrs had an epicenter 10 K.Ms dip fm the surphase.This I can tell you as I have signed up for a free mail alrert fm one site and daily I get mails when ever quake hits our globe(90% of them occured at 10KMs dip)
    I am fm India where we had a nasty quake in Jan-2001 in our state but before that fm Sep-2000 my area started to experence sworm type(If this phrase is incorrect kindly correct it)ranging fm 2 to 4.7 and we had almost 600 quakes before the biggie hit in the fault zone which is abt 500 Kms fm my place.We used to hear a loud sound out of the land during initial quakes but when biggie struck sound was different like gr-gr-gr-gr,sky was full of dust and electric wires used to create special sound effects when land was dancing.I also found one picular thing that 5 minutes before I thought someone is at the door and I opened it,strangely I found one street dog was trying to enter in my room which is totally against of his nature and after 5 mins bigone struck resulting almost 25000 deaths.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. tpmods Registered Member

8. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

tpmods, you make two contradictory statements.

First you remark most quakes took place below 10 km.
    Then you state most quakes ...had an epicenter 10 km deep from the surface.

It cannot be both. Either most are below ten kilometres or most are at ten kilometres.

I shall assume you mean the latter, since that is what you posted to clarify your position for Facial. If that is the case the explanation is very simple. I understand you are acquiring your information from the NEIC. [National Earthquake Information Centre.] Here is a discussion of the depth of earthquakes, from their site. I have emphasised the relevant words.

Depth: The depth where the earthquake begins to rupture. This depth may be relative to mean sea-level or the average elevation of the seismic stations which provided arrival-time data for the earthquake location. The choice of reference depth is dependent on the method used to locate the earthquake. Sometimes when depth is poorly contrained by available seismic data, the location program will set the depth at a fixed value. For example, 33 km is often used as a default depth for earthquakes determined to be shallow, but whose depth is not satisfactorily determined by the data, whereas default depths of 5 or 10 km are often used in mid-continental areas and on mid-ocean ridges since earthquakes in these areas are usually shallower than 33 km.

I congratulate you on spotting the frequency of quakes apparently at the same depth, but unfortunately you have not made a breakthrough discovery in geophysics, merely identified an artifact of the documentation process.

9. tpmods Registered Member

Dear Ophiolite,
    Thanks v.much for the defination of Depth and I tell you It has helped me a lot to understand what I read now.I am just a curious fellow and not a scientist and quake is the subject I love too much as it shows how powerful the mothernature is and how poor we are inspite of all we did in recent times in science!Just got info for 2 quakes just now in mail and now I understand what the DEPTH is,
    2006/04/15 22:40 M 5.8 TAIWAN REGION Z= 17km 22.74N 121.30E
    2006/04/15 23:50 M 6.0 OFFSHORE COQUIMBO, CHILE Z= 12km 29.66S 71.68W
    Thx a lot my friend for all your kind words for me.

10. valich Registered Senior Member

By "mother earth" I'm assuming that you mean the surface of the earth? But this is a questionable assumption. Can you site your data sources please? It is interesting that you should know this fact but I am very curious as to where your scientific data comes from. Thank you.