What is "be yourself"?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Semon, Mar 28, 2006.

1. perplexity Banned Banned

It gets to me sure enough.

---- RH.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kriminal99 Registered Senior Member

Statements like this are usually made to serve someone's ulterior motives. There are a few situations I can think of:

A) Someone doesn't know you, but is jealous of your ability in some area. By "being yourself" they are implying that you are average and you should accept it and by doing so hope they can reverse the reality of the situation.

Recent example I have experienced: I moved in with some college students at an apartment complex near UGA. They had developed a somewhat strong social network at UGA, I had developed flexible social skills by living on my own since I was 18 and being exposed to different situations. They would often attempt to refer to my ability to make new friends quickly, be self confident in unfamiliar situations such as parties where we did not know many people, and my assertiveness in my beliefs as "Trying to be something your not".

B) Someone who has actually known you for a while, and want's to permenantly categorize you as deficient in some area to satisfy their own emotional needs when in reality it is extremely easy to learn and adapt to situations. In fact it is my belief that the number one thing which holds people back is so called "friends" refusing to accept a person's ability to become more proficient than they are at something.

Example, you are with friends you have known for a very long time. You go talk to a girl and things are going great you have made a good impression when your friends decide to interject themselves. Realizing that you have more succesful than they in this situation they try and hold you back by refferring to your past or using comments like "You should be yourself"

C) Something in between:

Example, You meet a group of established friends and they for the most part ignore you, talk about things you are unfamiliar with etc while pretending to be friendly to you. They are attempting to force you to be "unremarkable" as they fear the new kid phenomenon. If you are unable to overcome this, then any future attempts at being succesful socially may be meant with comments such as "Just be yourself"

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. bruce in time Registered Member

Bob, Good post!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Undefined words are a very common, perhaps the most common impediment to clear communication.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cross Registered Senior Member

Objectively, no it's not. I think it's good to keep that in mind too. Actually, I think that remembering that has alot to do with "being yourself" in the sense it's meant when someone says "just be yourself". I think "being yourself" in attitude and behavior is connected to the fact that you are just yourself, and being aware of that truth.

It is possible to not "be youself" though, in the sense of having an attitude of being either more than or less than what you are, where you are not really self-aware and you don't fully accept your identity, that is your actual objective self, which I guess would also include all you've done and haven't done. People aren't "themselves" all the time. Lives are built everyday on these false limits.

We're either thinking we have to be more than what we are somehow, or think we are less than what we are, you know it's the two extremes. You think you have to be more than you are when you try to live up to unrealistc expectations. The world is full of unrealistic expectations, and people are always trying to meet them. There are consequences too for not trying. Then, what goes hand in hand with that is thinking less of oneself, thinking that this or that is beyond one's capacity or worth when it's actually not. The world is also full of ridicule for the one's who don't accept that and try to do the things others don't, or ask for what others believe is too much to ask for.

It's good to remember that regardless of all troubles in "being oneself", that objectively speaking, I mean in reality, and regardless of anything that happens or how you fail or disappoint yourself, whatever blame or guilt, either earned or unearned you carry, you still always are just yourself. You are yourself and you can't not be and so there is always another chance to "be yourself".

8. Jiggers Registered Member

I am myself in my mind. Being yourself must not in any case depend upon your clothes. Even at that, I am myself with my clothing. Humanity must simply evolve past the "I will become like someone else to be cool" dogma. Existentialism is the key to get out of the lock of western society. Existentialim is a philosophical doctrine that holds that man must define himself, must search for himself inside a reality that is pointless futile, and useless. Its the greatest philosophy because it goes with almost every other ones. It implies that men have freedom to be what they want to be and responsibility to others, to yourself and for others and self.

Sartre, Nietzsche, Beauvoir, Camus, Kierkegaard...they are the key. The most important way to "be yourself" is to try and forget the others in reality. Look to philosophy for answers. Learn different ideals, forge your own ideals from what you learned and evolve. Nothing, is impossible except coming back to life after death...

9. JohnnyGo Registered Member

"What is "be yourself"?"

The question this one seems to lead to is, "Who am I?"

Despite who you may think you are and are not, you are.

Therefore, let thought return whence it came from, and in silence abide.

10. Tnerb Banned Banned

wow...........