What if?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Avatar, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

My opinion is sea levels won't rise more than present levels. In any case, if warming persists (which has not occurred since 1998), increased evaporation will transfer more water volumes to Antarctica and Greenland ice masses through increased snowfalls.

Further, adding up all populated areas of the world it comes to about 2% of Earth's surface (an area the size of Spain) so in the unlikely event of a sea level increase there is ample room to go on living without any need for migrating to outer space.
    sabanas
    As most Earth's surface is not covered by crops (Earth is mostly deserts, savannahs and forest), in the event of coastal people moving inland we'd have to convert deserts and savannahs into crop lands with the aid of technology. Israel did it with very few economic resources since 1948. I think now transforming deserts into fertile and arable land would be just "a piece of cake."

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

I guess so - if there was a big enough incentive to unlock the requisite funds, diverting effort from military and big business etc...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.