What good is the space shuttle?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by countezero, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. countezero Registered Senior Member

Watched part of the launch today and couldn't help but think: What's the point of all this anymore? What is the American taxpayer getting for their investment?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Are you referring to the vehicle itself (the shuttle) or the mission (manned space missions)?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

A disaster a decade?

8. orcot Valued Senior Member

to ambitious, it's designers spent to much attention to the cup holders and painting it nicly, The russian proton rockets are far more advancend then the shuttle.
    Basicley the entire concept was bad, way to heavy; the configuration was bad rockets are far more stable with the capsule on top in stead of the sides.
    But the prestige was good the shuttle is for looking at it's chouldn't be for actual flight.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

In three years they are going to retire the entire fleet and use the same system as the Russians do now. Much more cost efficient.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

How do they get the shuttle on the plane?

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

With a bunch of trolls pulling a bigggg rope, trust me!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

and there it is AGAIN.

wow, when you latch on to somehting you don't let it go do you. Why does it bother you so much?
    I know, I know. You're just giving me a hard time and don't mean it. Where have I heard that before. Do I need to pay for your theraphy as well as Shortey's?

ANYWAYS!!! Is there a crane? An elevator?

13. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Can you pay for my therapy too? Or do I ask your husband first?

14. draqon Banned Banned

Boeing 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft

Answer: cranes.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL, I think you self medicate and don't need therapy. If you let my husband join though, he may help pay for that self medicating.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Thanks draqon.
    I never expected to see a company plan. I expected military. I wonder how much American Airlines gets paid to haul it.

17. draqon Banned Banned

$50 million cost-plus-fixed-fee contract is between Boeing and NASA...American Airlines?

18. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

One Word: Hope

What does the American Taxpayer get in return for 50% of their investment: Not a whole lot that you can immediately see

19. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

Well, the shuttle was a mistake, but someone had to make that mistake of building the first space-plane-like vehicle. It is a giant drain, but next time someone wants to make a reusable shuttle-like ship, they can look back to the laundry list of shit that went wrong with this one. Honestly, half of it is likely overspending charachteristic of a government project. "Why buy this $30 power strip when I can get this one for $90, and who cares, the government will pay for it, so it doesn't matter if i run the department tab up a couple hundred percent..."

The next something like this to be built will be a whole lot better made simply because this series paved the way. Think of it as a REALLY expensive prototype series.

20. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

They spend that much because they are given a budget every year by the Government on how much money they get to spend in a given year. If they don't spend all the money in that year then it wont be good for them. They would then be losing money because the government just gives them enough for the next year to meet their salary needs.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

the stripes and tail marking?? Isn't that an American Airlines plane?

22. draqon Banned Banned

...but Boeing made it. I really don't think AA has something to do with NASA...

23. superstring01 Moderator

You thought that too, huh?

Maybe it's time to try something NEW! "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." That pretty much sums up the whole space shuttle program.

Look, I'm all for cutting the government budget, but the ONE area we should be splurging is the ONE area that we all know will one day secure the future of humanity-- outer space. Fine... it's not profitable yet. Great. But you'd think we'd all be thinking, "um... there's six billion of us, we're still growing, it's getting crappy down here... let's at least get SOME of us living 'out there' so that our progeny is secure."

We spend $16 billion a year. I can't imagine why it's not about $50 billion. Cut fucking welfare and entitlements. Save the race and go to space.

~String

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.