What good are philosophers today?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by John J. Bannan, Jul 5, 2007.

1. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

With scientists taking the lead in discoveries and practical applications of knowledge, what good are philosophers today? Are they irrlevant reminders of a by-gone day?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

complementary. Scientists will tell you about objective qualifications for the illusionary world. Philosophers will tell you subjective qualifications of why are we alive and our purpose on the planet.

You may say philosophers are the scientists of the subjective inner-world. Scientists are philosophers of the objective outer-world.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. freejack101 Registered Member

philosophy works upon critical thinking and subjectivity

in many cases its more alive now than ever

... everyone is a critic

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, think of it this way, philosophers are still discussing and arguing about the same things that philosophers have been discussing and arguing since the beginning of time, and there have been few, if any, answers forthcoming.

In any other human endeavor, what would we say about a person or persons that produced so little over such an enormous length of study or work?

Baron Max

8. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

IF that is true, then you are the current product of that failure.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

...LOL!

Huh?

...LOL!

Baron Max

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I don't think the ethics of stem cell research, for example, have been discussed and argued since the beginning of time.

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, that's true, James .....but they're still discussing what "ethics" is and means, so it don't much matter about stem cell research, does it?

But don't worry, James, 10,000 years from now, philosophers might get around to figuring out "ethics" and then they can take up the issue of stem cell research.

Baron Max

12. Tnerb Banned Banned

Philosophy is as always will be very important.

This being said, the whole arguement falls to smitherenes! ***KABOOIE***

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I don't think you comprehend the distinction between ethics and meta-ethics which, admittedly, is a little subtle.

But they're already discussing stem-cell research. They're way ahead of you.

14. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So ...just saying something makes it factual and true?

Baron Max

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Oh, I don't worry about that ...in a few years, the philosophers will invent "meta-meta-ethics" to explain the meta-ethics!

If so, then they'll still be discussing it 10,000 years from now with no agreed resolutions whatsoever.

Baron Max

16. Tnerb Banned Banned

I would say it all depends upon perspective... it is hard to see what you mean. Philosophy is like a godstone to me, there are things which can be done with it, that I personally, believe have not been done!

I suppose that it is okay for everyone to talk philosophy. They just don't understand the importance... (IMO) of epistemology!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Like what?

So, if it's so important, please explain it to me .....and don't forget to show how it's important. Just saying that it's important doesn't do jackshit!

Baron Max

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Baron Max:

No need. Things are pretty much covered.

You misunderstand the role of philosophers. They present reasoned arguments and alternatives. They are not in control of the decision-making of governments. In fact, philosophers have greatly informed the decision-making processes on this issue in recent years.

19. Tnerb Banned Banned

Epistemology. As I have said. There is no "truth" like you have thought, instead, it is something possible, some mannageable.

I don't feel right now like elaborating on an epistemological goal. If you don't understand the defination of epistemology, do some re-search... IEP, google it, internet encyclopedi of philosophy. It has some interesting reads, but only from an encyclopedia point of view. It is very descriptive.

Philosophers are not concerned enough with epistemology, and god serve them right!

Philosophers are important today because they have the task that remains to them, weather ot not they are important is something to consider, but I think their task is important...... Everyone is a philosopher. We all think. We all create our ideals and life. What is important is what has not been done, and it could be greater than any scientist could do, - that is, without the use of philosophy.

20. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

It is because the great philosophers of today are considered scientists later. I see Einstein as a modern time Philosopher but he is considered a great scientist of his time. So what seperates a scientist from a philosopher other than a title?
    Philosophers try to find new ways to thnk(Imagination). Where as a scientist takes what we already know or don't and try to prove or disprove it.

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Science is based on experiment and observation. Philosophy is about pure thought. Philosophy looks at the nature of knowledge and how we obtain it, at ethics, at logic, and at what things exist and what their nature is, among other things.

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

We're all scholars here. If you write a concise definition of epistemology, somewhere between M-W.com and a Wiki article, I'm sure we'll understand it.

We're here to have discussions, to ask and answer questions. Not to toss URLs at each other.

23. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

There are plenty of other people 'making discoveries', this is not restricted to scientists, though I share a certain skepticism with you in regard to philosophers being amonst them.