What FRBs can teach us about the universe

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by paddoboy, Nov 25, 2016.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2016/11/newest-fast-radio-burst-hints-at-makeup-of-the-cosmic-web

Newest fast radio burst hints at makeup of the cosmic web
    What FRBs can teach us about the universe
    By Shannon Stirone | Published: Thursday, November 17, 2016

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Swinburne Astronomy Productions
    There’s a long list of scientific discoveries that continue to puzzle researchers around the world, and one of the most mysterious comes in the form of something called Fast Radio Bursts, or FRBs. Scientists suspect that these extremely bright flashes of light originate from outside of the Milky Way Galaxy, but they still aren’t entirely sure where in the universe they’re coming from, or what kind of event causes them.

Up until last year only 17 had been detected. That changed when the brightest FRB ever discovered was seen by two different telescopes at Parkes Observatory in Australia on August 5, 2015. Published today in the journal Science, a team of researchers from the California Institute of Technology, Curtin University, and CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science center in Australia announced not only that they’d observed the 18th FRB, but it’s also the brightest ever seen.

Until this 18th discovery, the very first FRB ever observed also held the position for the brightest.

When FRB 010621 was seen in 2001 at the Parkes Radio Observatory, astronomer Duncan Lorimer had no idea what to make of the signal. The 5 millisecond burst was a new kind of cosmic phenomenon, and one that sparked more questions than the field was ready for.

danshawen likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Thanks for posting Paddoboy.
    Are you aware of any speculation as to possible cause?
    I wondered if it could be a signal from a major event like a BH merger... An extreme collision? A short in the electric universe?
    A compressed message from "them"
    Most interesting, thanks again... For this and all your news.
    Alex

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I wonder if this means exact position or very close to...
    If exactly the same that must point us in some sort of direction... Its got to be a space beacon... where is River he could tell us.
    But how very curious.
    I will see if I can turn up more if I have time today.
    Alex

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Still quite speculative as to origins as far as I know, but perhaps associated with gamma ray bursts in general and the moment of BH creation?
    [I have also heard that they maybe Aliens trying to communicate with us]

I would love that to be so!

8. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Enterprise flashing headlights to warn us not to go over the speed limit warp 5 as there is a radar trap just behind the next planet?

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Enterprise often achieved warp 9.
    From memory there was some problem or barrier in achieving any warp higher then warp 10.