what does this mean?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Orleander, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You must have us confused with some other forum.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

There would be a shitload of sock puppets on here if that were the case!
    Although I'd much rather have that situation that some of the abhorrent moderation around here.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

There are a shitload of sockpuppets here anyway. I have two myself......

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Your nil contribution to every topic is noted. :zzz:

8. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Yeah, me and every other member on here except you (and your cronies).

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, notice how only the ones who get infractions whine? ooh what a surprise? :roflmao:

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

and gayer

11. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Do you think that if the infractions had bothered me, that I would have kept reposting what you kept deleting?
    I didn't get banned and my post that you kept deleting wound up staying anyway.
    The way I see it, is that that was a victory for me. I don't have anything to whine about.
    Making factual statements about someone's vehemently unprofessional internet forum moderation isn't really whining. It's just stating the painfully obvious.

12. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Why do you keep answering me then? Just put me on ignore.

13. Why? Registered Senior Member

Obviously, anyone with 26,000 posts, such as S.A.M., likes the sound of his own voice. Such egomanism leads to corruption.

14. Why? Registered Senior Member

A Star Chamber of moderators decides the fate of all. I like the idea of a robot occasionally eliminating members better.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's not against the rules to call Americans stupid. However, it is against the rules to call a Sciforums member stupid.

Satyr was actually being stupid. His basic premise was incorrect, that scientists get together and decide what's "politically correct", and enforce this norm by denying any research that contradicts social norms. But he wasn't banned for his ideas. He was banned for being a dick about it.

The fact is that people of African descent do not live in a vacuum. They belong to societies in which they have variously been exploited, oppressed, or ignored, mostly out of ignorance and greed. To act as if this never happened and is still happening is to ignore reality. There may indeed be evolutionary reasons why people react with hostility towards those that appear different. Appearances are indicators of genetic similarity, and it is advantageous to a gene if it's owner helps out others that share that gene.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I've been a member here a year and a half and a moderator for half that time.
    I've given out a lot of infractions in the time I've been moderator.

The purpose of infractions (as James has explained elsewhere) is not a pissing contest, but a reminder of what the forum guidelines are. They are supposed to inform you what that forum is supposed to be for. Keeping your post up or down makes no difference to anyone, unless you believe your pithy comments mean anything great except in your limited universe. Post deletion is to permit the discussion to continue, a warning is a sign that what is before the warning is not it. This is just a forum

I have discovered that the responses to infractions are an excellent indicator of character.

The best ones I have received have been from people who genuinely come here to discuss. Who want to know what they did wrong and how to avoid it, who accept that they lost control or were simply trolling. Who ask me to tell them before infracting them again so as to understand their intent. In many such cases, upon realising the intent was not to troll, I have reversed the infractions

This greatly affects the latitude I am willing to give them in future posts.

As I have already said, I judge posts on a case by case basis and I will not treat a drama king or queen who want to indulge their own personal emotional outbursts the same as a reasonable poster who wants to discuss or an intelligent poster with a tendency to overreact. I don't really care about language or insults, except as they affect the discussions.

With many oldies, its enough to give a warning or a reminder. With some, a three day ban here and there helps them to cool off. Some people who contribute very original or very opposing perspectives, I give more latitude than others, because as a moderator, my job is to facilitate the discussion and provide points of view, not substitute for your mother. I'll even tolerate the trolling, if it is intelligent.

Extreme loss of control and personal invective or (as in the case of shorty) a tendency to vent spite, is not allowed in my subforums. Meaningless and personal chatting depends on what else you contribute. If you only troll in my forums to make comments about me or other posters, I have every right to kick you out. There are perfectly good forums for you to whine about members and moderators. Not in Science and Society and most definitely, not in Biology.

If you don't like the rules, don't post there.

17. Why? Registered Senior Member

What you say sounds fine. But, that's not what you do.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Also, nothing I said is set in stone. If a poster who is usually allowed latitude abuses his privileges he gets his dues. If one who is not, shows a willingness to participate in the discussion, then I obviously consider that too.

And of course, most people cannot see what private communications or thought are behind an action. I can only base my opinions on what you post here or PM me.

19. Why? Registered Senior Member

Sounds like a lot of reasonable back tracking to me.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

You do all realize my question was answered 4 PAGES AGO!!!??

21. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Lol, I love this place

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Moderators receive a lot of reports, private complaints, whining PMs and other stuff. To do moderation in minutae would require a full time paid position. That said, people rarely realise that any action taken is not based on a singular post but on the history of the poster. Satyr for example. This is his second permaban, after two thirty day bans, several shorter bans lots of warnings in his present avatar.

Moderators don't look at one post and think, oh this guy is a pain in the neck, let me show him who's boss by chucking him out for a few days. mikenostic sent me a very emotional PM, and I think that was probably the first post of his I have EVER deleted. He threatened to keep reposting until I deleted Satyr's post. I decided he is a drama king and left the post on, simply giving him an infraction for overriding moderation. I would not have banned him over something so silly.

23. John99 Banned Banned

Gotta love those jersey girls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.