What does religion do for mankind that the statement "Be kind" doesn't do better?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Seattle, Apr 7, 2019.

1. kx000 Valued Senior Member

But wouldn't it have to be kind to religion and not get rid of it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Only if you do a bit of semiotic juggling with the word "religion".

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

That's kind of like asking a person who has been lost for such an incredibly long period of time that they have even forgotten that they are lost, "So how did you get lost to begin with?"
    IOW, given the current state of affairs, it is not an appropriate initial question.
    But regardless, merely attempting kindness doesn't dissipate illusion any more than attempting kindness in a dream establishes wakefulness.

There is no problem with God's direct connection to the individual soul.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I'd say the opposite: You'd have to jump through some hoops to separate "God" from the "spiritual" mumbo jumbo that doesn't qualify as "religion".

8. Seattle Valued Senior Member

No excuse needed. I didn't write a ridiculous diatribe but I'll reiterate...just be kind.

9. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

In that case, feel free to discuss the notion of God divorced from any sort of religious social conventions.

10. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Then nobody needs religion.
    Nobody needs any-busy-body to tell them how to connect with, stay connected to, reconnect with or disconnect from their god. It's entirely personal.

11. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

In my opinion religion is not needed to please God. Would it not please him to see someone feed a starving person? Who can say? Only God knows what pleases him.

The Laws can be set, however, with simple observations. A wronged person usually wrongs in return. But a murdered person cannot murder in return. Thus the Crown Prosecution Service comes into action, and prosecutes on behalf of the victim; when there is no-one to press charges.

12. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

It's not clear how your opinion relates to anything under current discussion.

13. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

Well considering you have only ONE topic of discussion that seems unlikely. You really are WON of the most tedious, boring people I've ever had the displeasure to meet.

BEFORE you came here Jeeves and I were PASSING THE TIME, musing across the planet's various religions, which evolved into a discussion as to whether we need them or not. Jeeves was kind enough to invite you to reply to his post, AFTER HE had posted, and you have proven yourself an ignoramus. I'M TALKING TO YOU, POSTER. If you have nothing NEW or productive to post, then refrain from doing so.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'd like to gamble my life on the fact that THE POSTER will retort with ignorance. Something about him not understanding, or irrelevance to the thread.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  14. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Thuswise:

What does religion do for people that "be kind" doesn't do better?
    Jeeves - No, it doesn't You either connect with God or you don't. Religion puts an interloper between you and your God.
    Acting right, being kind would go over a lot better with a kind and decent god than making meaningless noises once a week in an otherwise unused and wasteful large building. For conviviality, pubs are better. To share good works, volunteer organizations are better. For the employment of idle literate men, academia is better. There is nothing religion does better than other institutions. Even for intimidation, we have secret police.

15. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Crystal-rubbing is not a religion, is it? Yet it has the same effect as God.

16. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Ah, but when done in unison by 600 faithful, the communal ecstasy is so intense, it inspires them to enlist for a crusade to liberate the Holy Handgranade from the unChristalline Pastafarian horde.

sideshowbob likes this.
  17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

One benefit religions seem to provide, universally, is a partial solution to the Tragedy of the Commons. That is, a stubborn and insistent reason to act - or more commonly refrain - against one's immediate best interests in support of the common good of a fairly large community. Larger than family.

An analogy might be navigating by a distant star, rather than by the immediate terrain or wind direction.

18. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Never said it was Dave.
    Just saying how pointless the question is.

Jan.

19. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Only to you.
    Others are contributing.

20. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Exposing the pointlessness of the question, is a contribution. After all, he has posed a question.

Jan.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That has not been established.

22. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Is kindness pointless?

23. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

No.
    Why?

Jan.